Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OVM-14 question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: OVM-14 question Reply with quote

At 01:30 PM 11/25/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
Sorry to bother you off the list but I couldn't get logged in. I know you prefer questions to be posted so everybody can learn. feel free to post this if you like. Hope you have an great Thanks giving week!

Thank you sir.

Quote:
I'm doing 2 electrical energized field alternators (small frame 53A), one adjustable regulator, one non adjustable regulator, 2 OVM-14 modules, one battery off the Z13/8 dwg.

If you have two, hefty alternators then
Z12 is the better option.

Quote:
I have two 5 amp Klixon circuit breakers for the fields.

Okay

Quote:
My question is about the OVM-14. If both alternators were in output mode due to low voltage then one went into over voltage, how do I get the OVM-14s to only trip the circuit for the one that is over voltage? It seems like both field circuits would trip the CB.

You don't run both alternators at the same time.
Run only the main alternator until you get a
low volts warning then turn main alternator
OFF, aux alternator ON>

Quote:
Second question is about eBus.

I have Circuit breakers for many things. Instead of a second bus, I was thinking of a momentary switch connected to the load side of all things that could be shut off in battery saving mode. Pressing the switch would trip the breakers for unnecessary items which could be individually turned back on if required. would a switch be adequate or should a 704-1 relay be used to handle the shorting load.

I'm curious as to why Z12 is un-attractive as-published?
What shortcomings in Z12 beg rectification?

Also, aside from crow-bar field breakers, why
not fuse blocks? Breakers take up space, add
a lot of fabrication/installation labor, don't
work any better than a fuse. 99.9% of all breakers
installed at the factory go to the scrap yard
never having been required to keep a wire from
smoking. Why so much investment in a feature
that adds nothing to the utility/reliability
of your airplane?

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: OVM-14 question Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry to bother you off the list but I couldn't get logged in. I know you prefer questions to be posted so everybody can learn. feel free to post this if you like. Hope you have an great Thanks giving week!

Thank you sir.

Quote:
I'm doing 2 electrical energized field alternators (small frame 53A), one adjustable regulator, one non adjustable regulator, 2 OVM-14 modules, one battery off the Z13/8 dwg.

Quote:

Okay

Quote:
My question is about the OVM-14. If both alternators were in output mode due to low voltage then one went into over voltage, how do I get the OVM-14s to only trip the circuit for the one that is over voltage? It seems like both field circuits would trip the CB.

OFF, aux alternator ON>

Quote:

I have Circuit breakers for many things. Instead of a second bus, I was thinking of a momentary switch connected to the load side of all things that could be shut off in battery saving mode. Pressing the switch would trip the breakers for unnecessary items which could be individually turned back on if required. would a switch be adequate or should a 704-1 relay be used to handle the shorting load.

of your airplane?

Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: OVM-14 question Reply with quote

Quote:

Thank you sir.

Quote:

Quote:

Okay

Quote:

OFF, aux alternator ON>

Quote:

of your airplane?

Bob . . .

jdpnm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: OVM-14 question Reply with quote

I choose the Z13/8 instead of the Z12 because I have electrical dependent fuel and ignition. The Z13 seemed closest to my configuration using the Ford regulator rather than the B&C regulator.

The design concept is based on the article listed below. I wanted to have continuous flight with least amount of pilot intervention.

From "Electrical System Reliability” 04/00
Adding an Aux alternator with auto switching

In normal flight both alternators are ON but the Aux alternator goes to sleep because it's regulator thinks the bus voltage is too high. If the main alt fails to support the ships loads, the bus voltage sags waking up the Aux Alt.

Reason I have circuit breakers on some items is because with a momentary switch, I can short to ground items to lighten load, which will trip the breakers reducing loads. Then if appropriate I can return function to selected items as the situation permits, By resetting the individual CB.
Cost fuse vs CB is not an issue as I have the CB already. I’m also using circuit breaker switches for some items and fuse for some other items.

My main question is how to get over voltage protection to work individually for each alternator. It would seem that if one alternator went high it would trip both field breakers. I think I need to monitor each output before it guts to the buss. However I could just let it trip both field breakers and the reset on. if it trips again reset the other. but that requires more pilot intervention.
Any reason a low voltage warning light can’t be installed with a resistor of of the terminal “I” of the ford regulator? I think that is what ford does.

Quote:
I'm doing 2 electrical energized field alternators (small frame 53A), one adjustable regulator,ďż˝ one non adjustable regulator, 2 OVM-14 modules, one battery off the Z13/8 dwg.

Quote:

Okay

Quote:

OFF, aux alternator ON>

Quote:

of your airplane?

Bob . . .[/quote]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: OVM-14 question Reply with quote

At 10:47 AM 12/4/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "jdpnm" <jdp3322(at)gmail.com>

I choose the Z13/8 instead of the Z12 because I have electrical dependent fuel and ignition. The Z13 seemed closest to my configuration using the Ford regulator rather than the B&C regulator.

??? Z13 vs. Z12 has nothing to do with
the style of regulator or electrical
dependency of engine.

Z-13 is specifically designed to MINIMIZE
endurance loads on a TINY alternator . . .
like the SD8.

Quote:
The design concept is based on the article listed below. I wanted to have continuous flight with least amount of pilot intervention.

>From "Electrical System Reliability” 04/00
Adding an Aux alternator with auto switching

In normal flight both alternators are ON but the Aux alternator goes to sleep because it's regulator thinks the bus voltage is too high. If the main alt fails to support the ships loads, the bus voltage sags waking up the Aux Alt.

This narrative does not describe Z-13, it's
talking about Z-12 with a second alternator
driven by an SB-1 regulator (with autoswitch
features). Z-12 is also just fine using an
LR3 (or any other regulator). It just means
you have to flip a couple of switches when
the low-volts warning comes on.

Quote:
Reason I have circuit breakers on some items is because with a momentary switch, I can short to ground items to lighten load, which will trip the breakers reducing loads. Then if appropriate I can return function to selected items as the situation permits, By resetting the individual CB.
Cost fuse vs CB is not an issue as I have the CB already. I’m also using circuit breaker switches for some items and fuse for some other items.

Breaker-switches have a poor track record
in airplanes. They cost Beech a bucket-load
of money when the proved less-than-robust in
about 15 production-years of Bonanzas and Barons.

Quote:
My main question is how to get over voltage protection to work individually for each alternator. It would seem that if one alternator went high it would trip both field breakers. I think I need to monitor each output before it guts to the buss. However I could just let it trip both field breakers and the reset on. if it trips again reset the other. but that requires more pilot intervention.

Your worries about 'pilot intervention' are
mystifying. One presumes that pilots do things
based on knowledge, experience and planning.
Actions needed to bring a standby alternator on
line are trivial and NOT and emergency. When
the low volts light comes on, your properly
maintained battery will shoulder the loads while
you finish your cup of coffee and turn off the
MP3 player.

Quote:
Any reason a low voltage warning light can’t be installed with a resistor of of the terminal “I” of the ford regulator? I think that is what ford does.

The FORD regulator warning light pin is
next to useless in airplanes. You need one and
only one low volts warning light on the main
bus. If you have an LR3 regulator on your main
alternator, that light is built in. Recommend
you use Z12 and I would discourage the use
of breaker-switches.

Any idea of fiddling with breakers in flight
for load shedding sorta admits that you
don't have a plan-B for abnormal operations.
Z-12 with two FAT alternators say's you'll
never need to do load shedding except for battery-
only ops after having lost both alternators . . .
an exceedingly unlikely condition.

You're going to run out of gas or fly into
convective weather before you loose two
alternators on a single flight.

Your engine loads should run off the
battery bus.

Bob . . .

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: OVM-14 question Reply with quote

Quote:

P.S. If you're using B&C alternator controllers
in Z-12, the ov control systems are 'selective
trip' . . . when an ov condition is detected,
each ov system looks to see if 'my alternator' has
field voltage on it. If so, then the 'my regulator'
is bad and I trip only 'my alternator'.

If the field voltage is low or zero, the
ov condition is generated by failure of the 'other
regulator' it is expect to manage it's own
shutdown operation.

In an artfully designed multi-alternator system,
it's easy to preclude tripping of both systems
during an ov event.

Bob . . .

racerjerry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: OVM-14 question Reply with quote

Quote:

PURPOSELY shorting out circuit breakers is generally not a good idea and will cause them to degrade. Shorting, for rare over-voltage events is acceptable, but repeated high current events could cause a circuit breaker to malfunction; even possibly welding contacts closed.

A shorting switch is even more susceptible to arc damage and welding of contacts.

This reminds me of an Underwriter's Laboratory report describing a homeowner that "tested" his circuit breakers yearly using a screwdriver. His house burned down as a direct result.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: OVM-14 question Reply with quote

Quote:

PURPOSELY shorting out circuit breakers is generally not a good idea and will cause them to degrade. Shorting, for rare over-voltage events is acceptable, but repeated high current events could cause a circuit breaker to malfunction; even possibly welding contacts closed.

An urban technomyth completely unsupported by
the physics and over a century of practice.

A quality circuit breaker will find its
way onto Qualified Products Lists (QPL) for
government/military purchase by DEMONSTRATING
anh ability to OPEN a faulted line supplied by
a source current hundreds of times greater
than the breaker's trip-rating. An exemplar
table of qualifications for the Klixon 7274
series breakers reads as follows:

[img]cid:.0[/img]
A 5A breaker upstream of a crowbar OV protection
system is qualified in systems capable of up to 800
Amps of fault current. A typical ov trip current
in a GA aircraft with crowbar OV management is
on the order of 150 amps.

Beech did crowbar OV management in a regulator I
proposed for the single-engine, turbine prototype
back about 1980. Of ALL the contemporary OV management
systems on hand at the time, my prototype was the only
one to manage a series of 50 OV events at the rate
of one event every two minutes. After the test, the
'abused' breaker still tested to design specs.

Quote:
A shorting switch is even more susceptible to arc damage and welding of contacts.

Do you mean a switch that closes a fault against
a high current source source, or a switch used to open a
a high current condition?

Contacts used to 'break' a faulted circuit, such
as those used in a breaker, may indeed suffer arc
damage if used to open a condition beyond the device's
ratings (see Endurance and Interrupt ratings above).
The crowbar OVM system that flies now in thousands
of OBAM and TC aircraft were designed and tested to
stay will within those limits.

Quote:
This reminds me of an Underwriter's Laboratory report describing a homeowner that "tested" his circuit breakers yearly using a screwdriver. His house burned down as a direct result.

I've heard several such stories over the years . . . all
of which argue with contemporary design and qualification
practices for modern breakers, switches and relays.

I'd need to see the published failure analysis on
this . . . sounds like an urban myth
to me.

Bob . . .

57687c1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  211.99 KB
 Viewed:  9174 Time(s)

57687c1.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: OVM-14 question Reply with quote

Graybeards here on the List will recall some
animated discussions about 14 years ago on the
topic of 'abused breakers' in crowbar ov
protection systems.

Here's a white paper I generated as a contribution
to those discussions:

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/Crowbar_OV_Protection/DC_Power_System_Dynamics_C.pdf

Bob . . .

jdpnm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: OVM-14 question Reply with quote

thanks Bob.

jonlaury

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: OVM-14 question Reply with quote

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect wrote:
At 10:47 AM 12/4/2019, you wrote:

... You need one and
only one low volts warning light on the main
bus. If you have an LR3 regulator on your main
alternator, that light is built in.

Bob . . .[/quote]

At the time of my installation, I thought that alternator 1 needed LVW through the LR3 reg.
Didn't think that the LR3 was monitoring the main bus so installed AEC 9005 LVW for Alt 2/Ford reg.
Now I have redundant LVW Embarassed

Redundant LVW.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.55 KB
 Viewed:  9143 Time(s)

Redundant LVW.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject: OVM-14 question Reply with quote

Quote:

At the time of my installation, I thought that alternator 1 needed LVW through the LR3 reg.
Didn't think that the LR3 was monitoring the main bus so installed AEC 9005 LVW for Alt 2/Ford reg.
Now I have redundant LVW [Embarassed]

Better to have more than you need than
not enough!

Many digital electro-whizzies include
bus monitoring, display and sometimes
a warning feature. It's not uncommon
to have multiple, accurate bus voltage
displays on the panel.

But if one seeks the most informative
'watch dog' for the ship's electrical
system (or any other vehicle), the simple
LV warning light fills the bill. All
other forms of instrumentation are okay
but they're more useful as diagnostic
tools than electrical system management
in flight.

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: