Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Control stick tube height

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n7188u

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Control stick tube height Reply with quote

Dear forum members,

My control sticks seems to have modified at their end to fit Infinity grips (which I am not going to use) and I need to check whether they were cut down to make them shorter or not.

I measured 19 inches from the floor to the top of the stick tube when the stick was about vertical.

Is this correct or if not how much was the stick cut down?

Regards,
Chris

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Control stick tube height Reply with quote

Chris,

I have measured from floor to top of sticks on two aircraft for you . .
. . . .  one is 19.7" and the other 20.9" so take your pick!

IMO, your 19" is plenty long enough.

Regards
Kingsley in Oz

On 15.11.19 8:42 am, n7188u wrote:
Quote:

Dear forum members,

My control sticks seems to have modified at their end to fit Infinity grips (which I am not going to use) and I need to check whether they were cut down to make them shorter or not.

I measured 19 inches from the floor to the top of the stick tube when the stick was about vertical.

Is this correct or if not how much was the stick cut down?

Regards,
Chris

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

SPURPURA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Control stick tube height Reply with quote

The correct length is what ever fits you best.

John Wighton

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Control stick tube height Reply with quote

The correct length is definitely nothing to do with personal preference. The control surface hinge moments are derived directly from the length of joystick. Any increase in length increases those hinge moments and corresponding forces in the system when using the standard checked control loads.

In normal flight the control forces will also be affected by the length.

An increase beyond the standard length would most likely require a modification to be approved under UK LAA rules. Those aircraft subject to FAA Experimental regime can in theory do what they like.

In practical terms there is little scope to significantly increase or reduce the joystick length. I don’t know what the correct length is, the subject of some weekend homework (again).

ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:53 am    Post subject: Control stick tube height Reply with quote

The length of the control stick is determined by it's clearance OF THE PANEL
WHEN IN MAXIMUM DIVE POSITION AND THAT MEANS THAT YOU DON'T NEED TO BE ABLE
TO SLAM YOUR KNUCKLES INTO THE PANEL and switches RESTRICTING THE FULL
MOVEMENT !
REGARDS

Bob Harrison ....Late of G-PTAG.

--

ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Control stick tube height Reply with quote

DON’T SIZE YOUR CONTROL STICK UNTIL YOU HAVE VERIFIED IT CLEARS THE PANEL AND SWITCHES IN FULL DIVE MODE, REMEMBERING CLEARANCE FOR YOUR KNUCKES AND SWITCHES.

REGARDS
BOB HARRISON .

--

n7188u

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Control stick tube height Reply with quote

Dear Forum Members,

Thanks for the feedback and apologies for me getting back sooner.

I did check clearance a while back. I spoke with Marty (original owner of the kit) and he said the stick was shortened by 1.25" to fit the Infinity grips which are quite long.

I may extend the stick back to its original length, while checking panel clearance, just because the top of the stick doesn't have much of a straight section where a I want to fit a foamy grip (may look like a banana instead of a control stick grip once installed). No final decision yet, just wanted to see what length the sticks are when original and now I know Smile

BTW, I am used to a very short stick (LongEZ) but, as some people indicated, the airplane is designed in such way as to provide proper stick forces and the stick length is a big part of it (plus-minus some tolerance of course).

Chris

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: