Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wiring book review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
velletazjp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:07 am    Post subject: Wiring book review Reply with quote

Hi everybody.

First message on the forum from a Jodel driver from France.

Huge thanks to Bob for all the info he shared and his commitment to improve the HomeBuild community all over the world...

Big thanks as well for all the members of this group who help newbies like me when it comes to trying to avoid smoke and flames behind our panels.
While I conducted a very small project when I rewired my Jodel D119 with the help of my father 5 years ago, it's now my turn to help a fellow Jodel owner to redo is electric system.
He just ordered, on my advice, a starter and a Generator from B&C to put on his continental C90.

I made a wiring book, following Bob's recommandation.

Please find below a PDF with the complete wiring book and panel, any critics are most welcome before we effectively start to cut and crimp.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

PPZF-D119_WIRE_BOOK.pdf
 Description:
The complete wire book

Download
 Filename:  PPZF-D119_WIRE_BOOK.pdf
 Filesize:  1.41 MB
 Downloaded:  311 Time(s)

panel final-Model-2.pdf
 Description:
the cut out for the aluminium sheet

Download
 Filename:  panel final-Model-2.pdf
 Filesize:  106.15 KB
 Downloaded:  294 Time(s)

Last edited by velletazjp on Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
user9253

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring book review Reply with quote

The voltage monitor is mislabeled as voltage "regulator" on last page.
The 20 amp fuse F1.1 is not needed or desired. If it blows, all electrical power is lost. Bob's architecture does not have a
fuse at that location for a reason. If you insist on putting a fuse there, increase its size to 30 amps.
Increase fuse F2.3 size to 20 amps. The purpose of that fuse is to protect the battery from short circuits.
Its purpose is not for overload protection because the 12 amp alternator is incapable of supplying that much current.
Eliminate 15 amp fuse F2.2 because it is not needed or desired. It serves no useful purpose and is a problem waiting to happen.
The alternator is not capable of putting out much more than 12 amps. It is self current limiting. No overload protection is required.
Consider using fuses instead of circuit breakers. Fuses cost less, weigh less, and are more reliable.
7 amp breaker B4 START does not need to be so big. 5 amps is OK. B4 label is not readable on page 2.0
Circuit breaker B1 could be connected directly to the main bus along with all of the other breakers. Then the fuselink can be eliminated.
The reason that Bob mounted that breaker remotely is because he used fuses on the main power bus.
Consider using an EFIS or electronic engine monitor instead of steam gauges.
Nice drawings.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

velletazjp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring book review Reply with quote

Hi Joe thank you so much for your valuable answer.

I followed your recommendations (and looked again to Bob's drawings) and made the modifications you suggested.

I attached the general drawing to avoid overloading the server...
user9253 wrote:
The voltage monitor is mislabeled as voltage "regulator" on last page.

corrected

user9253 wrote:

The 20 amp fuse F1.1 is not needed or desired. If it blows, all electrical power is lost. Bob's architecture does not have a
fuse at that location for a reason. If you insist on putting a fuse there, increase its size to 30 amps.

corrected, I've checked on Bob's drawing Z13 and you're right it's not there. Although if you look at B&C wiring recommendation, there is one indeed. Don't know the reason why tough...
Chances to loose all electric equipments with a single failure, scared me enough to remove it.

user9253 wrote:

Increase fuse F2.3 size to 20 amps. The purpose of that fuse is to protect the battery from short circuits.
Its purpose is not for overload protection because the 12 amp alternator is incapable of supplying that much current.

Done

user9253 wrote:

Eliminate 15 amp fuse F2.2 because it is not needed or desired. It serves no useful purpose and is a problem waiting to happen.
The alternator is not capable of putting out much more than 12 amps. It is self current limiting. No overload protection is required.

Done although the manufacturer documentation show one here (see drawing).
Maybe Bob has an opinion on this one ?

user9253 wrote:

Consider using fuses instead of circuit breakers. Fuses cost less, weigh less, and are more reliable.

I suggested that option to my friend, and I'll definitly go with fuse for my next project but he likes the "airliner" touch of the breakers (we fly Airbus together, nobody's perfect... Smile )))

user9253 wrote:

7 amp breaker B4 START does not need to be so big. 5 amps is OK.

corrected

user9253 wrote:

B4 label is not readable on page 2.0

corrected

user9253 wrote:

Circuit breaker B1 could be connected directly to the main bus along with all of the other breakers. Then the fuselink can be eliminated.
The reason that Bob mounted that breaker remotely is because he used fuses on the main power bus.

changed that, make way more sense like that...

user9253 wrote:

Consider using an EFIS or electronic engine monitor instead of steam gauges.

an EFIS in a Jodel.... Wink

user9253 wrote:

Nice drawings.

Thanks !!

PPZF-D119_WIRE_BOOK page 2.pdf
 Description:
updated version of general drawing per Joe recommandations

Download
 Filename:  PPZF-D119_WIRE_BOOK page 2.pdf
 Filesize:  160.31 KB
 Downloaded:  303 Time(s)

504-500_revI (2).pdf
 Description:
B&C's wiring diagram for their 200G alternator

Download
 Filename:  504-500_revI (2).pdf
 Filesize:  44.03 KB
 Downloaded:  422 Time(s)

user9253

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring book review Reply with quote

A 7" EFIS such as the Dynon SE (no moving map) Skyview should fit into the
panel. If the Garmin G5 and all of the steam gauges are eliminated, the total
cost might be competitive. It wouldn't hurt to compare prices.
Has anyone done a price comparison of Glass versus Steam gauges?

velletazjp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring book review Reply with quote

user9253 wrote:
A 7" EFIS such as the Dynon SE (no moving map) Skyview should fit into the
panel. If the Garmin G5 and all of the steam gauges are eliminated, the total
cost might be competitive. It wouldn't hurt to compare prices.
Has anyone done a price comparison of Glass versus Steam gauges?

That was a joke on my side,

I'm totally with the Idea of EFIS; and as a matter of facts I've planned to install a dual screen G3X in my upcoming, 160kt, 4 seats Jodel (I take the liberty to talk about it on this forum because nobody from France will ever read this post and I intend to keep it partially undisclosed util it actually flies)...
But I did the maths : dual G3x screen (PFD + MFD) was roughly the same as dual G5 + G3x screen for engine instruments.

I encouraged friend to go with a G5 but he decided against. Also, he already have the Jeager steam gauges from the 1960 era, that fit with the history and the philosophy of the plane.

attached a "not definitive" version of my panel
(Stein, I saw you were stopping by from time to time to this list, and I might need somebody to take all my money for this one Laughing )

DH 251 panel G3X-Model-2.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  DH 251 panel G3X-Model-2.pdf
 Filesize:  116.97 KB
 Downloaded:  297 Time(s)

user9253

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring book review Reply with quote

Your secret is out. Smile Gilles T. reads these posts. I think that he is from France.

velletazjp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring book review Reply with quote

peroperro wrote:
Hi velletazjp, to you think I can ask you to review my book as well? It would be lovely to have your detailed input. Thanks very much in advance!

I could of course, thought I doubt I’ll be of any help. I followed religiously Bob’s recommendations and schematics and then I came to this list to get a final review.

I suggest you start a new thread with your drawing attached so others can give you their opinion too.
I’m just a man in a cave watching shadows...

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Wiring book review Reply with quote

At 03:20 AM 11/18/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "peroperro" <mrbadguy69(at)protonmail.com>

Hi velletazjp, to you think I can ask you to review my book as well? It would be lovely to have your detailed input. Thanks very much in advance!

NOT A LEGIT SUBSCRIBER - IGNORE

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: