Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maintainer's for LiFePo batteries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
echristley(at)att.net

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Maintainer's for LiFePo batteries Reply with quote

I'm still looking for a solar powered "maintainer" that will work with a LiFePo battery, and would really like a pointer if someone has found a good solution. I'm using the Scorpion battery to start my 120Hp Corvair. I'm VERY happy with how fast and how long it will spin the Corvair when it is charged, but I've been asking a lot from this battery due to carb issues that I've been having to work through. Lots of cranking, without much engine running to recharge.

I bought one of the Harbor Freight, solar maintainers. I put it on and left it for a few days. The battery was completely dead when I came back. The battery was swollen, but I can't be sure if that was from an overcharge or from excessive exhaust heat.  The solar panel says that it will put out as much as 18V...if I remember correctly...meaning the panel had the potential to exceed voltage that the battery is rated for. Disassembly of the battery found that two of the "bags" were swollen much larger than the the others. I have since added heat deflectors, and replaced the battery. (A future investigation is to see if I can remove the swollen bags, and make a smaller capacity battery out of the remainder...to power LED lights in the gazebo in my backyard...not for airplane use.)
Getting a slow, battery-friendly charge to an airplane sitting on a ramp is a PIA. Charging from a car, with it dumping whatever the alternator will produce or whatever the battery will swallow, works, but is cringe-worthy. The 100mA output from the readily-available $20 panels takes a long time, but WILL top a battery off eventually (18Ahr/100mA =>180hr (at) 9hr/day => 20 days). I find that acceptable, because my plane tends to sit idle on the ramp for long periods of time anyway. During that "top off" time, the solar panels are fine on a LiFePo, because the voltage drops below the max whenever there is a significant load on it. It's that period after the top off, when the panel reaches its open circuit voltage and exceeds what the battery can accept that potentially kills the battery (again, I don't know this for a fact).
So, the question is, "Does anyone know of a solar battery maintainer designed to service LiFePo batteries?"

O

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
email(at)jaredyates.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Maintainer's for LiFePo batteries Reply with quote

Can you make one, by using a 100w solar panel, a charge controller, and a 12v-powered liFe charging circuit?

On October 15, 2019 11:45:24 Ernest Christley <echristley(at)att.net> wrote:
Quote:

I'm still looking for a solar powered "maintainer" that will work with a LiFePo battery, and would really like a pointer if someone has found a good solution. I'm using the Scorpion battery to start my 120Hp Corvair. I'm VERY happy with how fast and how long it will spin the Corvair when it is charged, but I've been asking a lot from this battery due to carb issues that I've been having to work through. Lots of cranking, without much engine running to recharge.

I bought one of the Harbor Freight, solar maintainers. I put it on and left it for a few days. The battery was completely dead when I came back. The battery was swollen, but I can't be sure if that was from an overcharge or from excessive exhaust heat.  The solar panel says that it will put out as much as 18V...if I remember correctly...meaning the panel had the potential to exceed voltage that the battery is rated for. Disassembly of the battery found that two of the "bags" were swollen much larger than the the others. I have since added heat deflectors, and replaced the battery. (A future investigation is to see if I can remove the swollen bags, and make a smaller capacity battery out of the remainder...to power LED lights in the gazebo in my backyard...not for airplane use.)
Getting a slow, battery-friendly charge to an airplane sitting on a ramp is a PIA. Charging from a car, with it dumping whatever the alternator will produce or whatever the battery will swallow, works, but is cringe-worthy. The 100mA output from the readily-available $20 panels takes a long time, but WILL top a battery off eventually (18Ahr/100mA =>180hr (at) 9hr/day => 20 days). I find that acceptable, because my plane tends to sit idle on the ramp for long periods of time anyway. During that "top off" time, the solar panels are fine on a LiFePo, because the voltage drops below the max whenever there is a significant load on it. It's that period after the top off, when the panel reaches its open circuit voltage and exceeds what the battery can accept that potentially kills the battery (again, I don't know this for a fact).
So, the question is, "Does anyone know of a solar battery maintainer designed to service LiFePo batteries?"

O

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Maintainer's for LiFePo batteries Reply with quote

That's the general path I'd consider. Perhaps a perusal of hobby sites for a LiFePo charger that operates from a car battery would be a good place to start. Failing that, a small 12V-120vac inverter might get you there in somewhat plug&play fashion, though it would be a lot of monkey motion and not very efficient.
solar panel>charge controller>inverter>charger

Or.....
https://www.amazon.com/DPJ-LiFePO4-Battery-Controller-SL03-4810A/dp/B07JG2V7TB/ref=asc_df_B07JG2V7TB/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=385172604940&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16702995601745525769&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9014228&hvtargid=pla-823507823024&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=78287727493&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=385172604940&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16702995601745525769&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9014228&hvtargid=pla-823507823024
generally,
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS843US843&biw=1920&bih=975&sxsrf=ACYBGNSHIvwnyBkyd9OPRuYg3iDFSaANlA%3A1571157455562&ei=z_WlXYLHIZHQtAWcwrX4Bg&q=solar+charge+controller+for+lifepo4+battery&oq=solar+charge+controller+for+lifepo4+battery+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i30.199155.213105..214599...0.2..1.443.10450.1j16j19j9j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j35i39j0i22i30j35i304i39j0i8i13i30.YH6jrcsDRBs

Charlie

On 10/15/2019 11:08 AM, Jared Yates wrote:

Quote:

Can you make one, by using a 100w solar panel, a charge controller, and a 12v-powered liFe charging circuit?

On October 15, 2019 11:45:24 Ernest Christley <echristley(at)att.net> (echristley(at)att.net) wrote:
Quote:
I'm still looking for a solar powered "maintainer" that will work with a LiFePo battery, and would really like a pointer if someone has found a good solution.  I'm using the Scorpion battery to start my 120Hp Corvair.  I'm VERY happy with how fast and how long it will spin the Corvair when it is charged, but I've been asking a lot from this battery due to carb issues that I've been having to work through.  Lots of cranking, without much engine running to recharge.

I bought one of the Harbor Freight, solar maintainers.  I put it on and left it for a few days.  The battery was completely dead when I came back.  The battery was swollen, but I can't be sure if that was from an overcharge or from excessive exhaust heat.  The solar panel says that it will put out as much as 18V...if I remember correctly...meaning the panel had the potential to exceed voltage that the battery is rated for.  Disassembly of the battery found that two of the "bags" were swollen much larger than the the others. I have since added heat deflectors, and replaced the battery.  (A future investigation is to see if I can remove the swollen bags, and make a smaller capacity battery out of the remainder...to power LED lights in the gazebo in my backyard...not for airplane use.)

Getting a slow, battery-friendly charge to an airplane sitting on a ramp is a PIA.  Charging from a car, with it dumping whatever the alternator will produce or whatever the battery will swallow, works, but is cringe-worthy.  The 100mA output from the readily-available $20 panels takes a long time, but WILL top a battery off eventually (18Ahr/100mA =>180hr (at) 9hr/day => 20 days).  I find that acceptable, because my plane tends to sit idle on the ramp for long periods of time anyway.  During that "top off" time, the solar panels are fine on a LiFePo, because the voltage drops below the max whenever there is a significant load on it.  It's that period after the top off, when the panel reaches its open circuit voltage and exceeds what the battery can accept that potentially kills the battery (again, I don't know this for a fact).

O

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Maintainer's for LiFePo batteries Reply with quote

oops; ignore the Amazon link. Just saw in the details that it only works at higher voltages.

On 10/15/2019 11:43 AM, Charlie England wrote:

Quote:
That's the general path I'd consider. Perhaps a perusal of hobby sites for a LiFePo charger that operates from a car battery would be a good place to start. Failing that, a small 12V-120vac inverter might get you there in somewhat plug&play fashion, though it would be a lot of monkey motion and not very efficient.

Or.....
https://www.amazon.com/DPJ-LiFePO4-Battery-Controller-SL03-4810A/dp/B07JG2V7TB/ref=asc_df_B07JG2V7TB/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=385172604940&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16702995601745525769&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9014228&hvtargid=pla-823507823024&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=78287727493&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=385172604940&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16702995601745525769&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9014228&hvtargid=pla-823507823024
generally,
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS843US843&biw=1920&bih=975&sxsrf=ACYBGNSHIvwnyBkyd9OPRuYg3iDFSaANlA%3A1571157455562&ei=z_WlXYLHIZHQtAWcwrX4Bg&q=solar+charge+controller+for+lifepo4+battery&oq=solar+charge+controller+for+lifepo4+battery+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i30.199155.213105..214599...0.2..1.443.10450.1j16j19j9j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j35i39j0i22i30j35i304i39j0i8i13i30.YH6jrcsDRBs

Charlie

Quote:

On October 15, 2019 11:45:24 Ernest Christley <echristley(at)att.net> (echristley(at)att.net) wrote:
Quote:
I'm still looking for a solar powered "maintainer" that will work with a LiFePo battery, and would really like a pointer if someone has found a good solution.  I'm using the Scorpion battery to start my 120Hp Corvair.  I'm VERY happy with how fast and how long it will spin the Corvair when it is charged, but I've been asking a lot from this battery due to carb issues that I've been having to work through.  Lots of cranking, without much engine running to recharge.

I bought one of the Harbor Freight, solar maintainers.  I put it on and left it for a few days.  The battery was completely dead when I came back.  The battery was swollen, but I can't be sure if that was from an overcharge or from excessive exhaust heat.  The solar panel says that it will put out as much as 18V...if I remember correctly...meaning the panel had the potential to exceed voltage that the battery is rated for.  Disassembly of the battery found that two of the "bags" were swollen much larger than the the others. I have since added heat deflectors, and replaced the battery.  (A future investigation is to see if I can remove the swollen bags, and make a smaller capacity battery out of the remainder...to power LED lights in the gazebo in my backyard...not for airplane use.)

Getting a slow, battery-friendly charge to an airplane sitting on a ramp is a PIA.  Charging from a car, with it dumping whatever the alternator will produce or whatever the battery will swallow, works, but is cringe-worthy.  The 100mA output from the readily-available $20 panels takes a long time, but WILL top a battery off eventually (18Ahr/100mA =>180hr (at) 9hr/day => 20 days).  I find that acceptable, because my plane tends to sit idle on the ramp for long periods of time anyway.  During that "top off" time, the solar panels are fine on a LiFePo, because the voltage drops below the max whenever there is a significant load on it.  It's that period after the top off, when the panel reaches its open circuit voltage and exceeds what the battery can accept that potentially kills the battery (again, I don't know this for a fact).

O

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Maintainer's for LiFePo batteries Reply with quote

Perhaps this one?
https://www.amazon.com/PowMr-Controller-Intelligent-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B07H86ZP6C/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?keywords=12v+lefepo4+solar+charge+controller&qid=1571158107&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-4-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExM1BEU1BWMzVQMVVNJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODkxMjUxMVM0VjVWTEFPVjA1UCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTU1MDAwQ1k3N0dDTTBIQ0gxJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfbXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

On 10/15/2019 11:44 AM, Charlie England wrote:

Quote:
oops; ignore the Amazon link. Just saw in the details that it only works at higher voltages.

On 10/15/2019 11:43 AM, Charlie England wrote:

Quote:

Or.....
generally,

Charlie

Quote:

Quote:

O

ashleysc(at)broadstripe.n

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Maintainer's for LiFePo batteries Reply with quote

Hi Ernest;
Please consider what I am going to say to be a "data point," not a recommendation. I have a "Battery Tender" LiFePO4 battery and a "Battery Tender" maintainer, which is specifically designed for the given battery. I have had very good luck with this combination. It has been in the plane since wiring started, and allows checking each circuit as it is installed. Recently I have started the engine about a dozen times and the battery has lots of energy to start the 2700 cc six cyl. Corvair engine. I leave the maintainer on all the time, except when the plane is out of the hangar for running. The battery is in the engine compartment, which gets quite hot during engine runs. So far the battery shows no ill effects. Please note the aircraft has not yet flown.
Cheers! Stu.
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 7:18:37 AM
Subject: Maintainer's for LiFePo batteries

I bought one of the Harbor Freight, solar maintainers. I put it on and left it for a few days. The battery was completely dead when I came back. The battery was swollen, but I can't be sure if that was from an overcharge or from excessive exhaust heat. The solar panel says that it will put out as much as 18V...if I remember correctly...meaning the panel had the potential to exceed voltage that the battery is rated for. Disassembly of the battery found that two of the "bags" were swollen much larger than the the others. I have since added heat deflectors, and replaced the battery. (A future investigation is to see if I can remove the swollen bags, and make a smaller capacity battery out of the remainder...to power LED lights in the gazebo in my backyard...not for airplane use.)
Getting a slow, battery-friendly charge to an airplane sitting on a ramp is a PIA.  Charging from a car, with it dumping whatever the alternator will produce or whatever the battery will swallow, works, but is cringe-worthy. The 100mA output from the readily-available $20 panels takes a long time, but WILL top a battery off eventually (18Ahr/100mA =>180hr (at) 9hr/day => 20 days). I find that acceptable, because my plane tends to sit idle on the ramp for long periods of time anyway. During that "top off" time, the solar panels are fine on a LiFePo, because the voltage drops below the max whenever there is a significant load on it. It's that period after the top off, when the panel reaches its open circuit voltage and exceeds what the battery can accept that potentially kills the battery (again, I don't know this for a fact).

O

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Maintainer's for LiFePo batteries Reply with quote

Hi Charlie;
You have not explained the reason for your focus on "solar." Is it because there is no 110V. electrical system in your hangar?
Cheers! Stu.
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 9:43:05 AM
Subject: Re: AeroElectric-List: Maintainer's for LiFePo batteries

Or.....
generally,

Charlie

Quote:

Quote:

I bought one of the Harbor Freight, solar maintainers. I put it on and left it for a few days. The battery was completely dead when I came back. The battery was swollen, but I can't be sure if that was from an overcharge or from excessive exhaust heat. The solar panel says that it will put out as much as 18V...if I remember correctly...meaning the panel had the potential to exceed voltage that the battery is rated for. Disassembly of the battery found that two of the "bags" were swollen much larger than the the others. I have since added heat deflectors, and replaced the battery. (A future investigation is to see if I can remove the swollen bags, and make a smaller capacity battery out of the remainder...to power LED lights in the gazebo in my backyard...not for airplane use.)

O

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Maintainer's for LiFePo batteries Reply with quote

Well, because Earnest asked for a solar powered charger. Did I miss something?
On 10/15/2019 12:08 PM, ashleysc(at)broadstripe.net (ashleysc(at)broadstripe.net) wrote:

Quote:
Hi Charlie;
You have not explained the reason for your focus on "solar." Is it because there is no 110V. electrical system in your hangar?
Cheers!   Stu.

From: "Charlie England" <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com (aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: Maintainer's for LiFePo batteries

Or.....
generally,

Charlie

Quote:

Quote:

O

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Maintainer's for LiFePo batteries Reply with quote

Hi Charlie;
No; I confess I didn't go far enough back in the e-mail chain to see who the original questioner was. The subject still begs the question: Does Earnest not have access to 110 V. in his hangar? Or does he tie-down outdoors? Or does he want to recharge battery(s) while camping at remote strips? Knowing situs would help determine best choice of hardware.
Cheers! Stu.
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 10:51:48 AM
Subject: Re: AeroElectric-List: Maintainer's for LiFePo batteries
Well, because Earnest asked for a solar powered charger. Did I miss something?
On 10/15/2019 12:08 PM, ashleysc(at)broadstripe.net (ashleysc(at)broadstripe.net) wrote:

Quote:
Hi Charlie;
Cheers! Stu.
From: "Charlie England" <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com (aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com)

Or.....
generally,

Charlie

Quote:

Quote:
I'm still looking for a solar powered "maintainer" that will work with a LiFePo battery, and would really like a pointer if someone has found a good solution. I'm using the Scorpion battery to start my 120Hp Corvair.  I'm VERY happy with how fast and how long it will spin the Corvair when it is charged, but I've been asking a lot from this battery due to carb issues that I've been having to work through. Lots of cranking, without much engine running to recharge.

O

Virus-free. www.avast.com[url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

echristley(at)att.net

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Maintainer's for LiFePo batteries Reply with quote

Stu,
JNX doesn't have any hangar's available, so I'm parked on the ramp until they build some more.
The $26 box may be the best choice, Charlie, except that it looks like overkill and will it run of such a small panel. I might be better off building my own circuit. The idea being to not leave something sitting on the outside of the airplane that I would be too upset about when someone walked off with it. Airplane people are an honest bunch overall, but there is always that one guy.
I must say though, that I was hoping that someone had found one of the panels that I could just plug into the always hot cig-lighter socket.

On Tuesday, October 15, 2019, 3:26:08 PM EDT, <ashleysc(at)broadstripe.net> wrote:

Hi Charlie;
No; I confess I didn't go far enough back in the e-mail chain to see who the original questioner was. The subject still begs the question: Does Earnest not have access to 110 V. in his hangar? Or does he tie-down outdoors? Or does he want to recharge battery(s) while camping at remote strips? Knowing situs would help determine best choice of hardware.
Cheers! Stu.

From: "Charlie England" <ceengland7(at)gmail.com>To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.comSent: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 10:51:48 AMSubject: Re: Maintainer's for LiFePo batteries
Well, because Earnest asked for a solar powered charger. Did I miss something? On 10/15/2019 12:08 PM, ashleysc(at)broadstripe.net (ashleysc(at)broadstripe.net) wrote:
Quote:
Hi Charlie;
Cheers!  Stu.

From: "Charlie England" <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> (ceengland7(at)gmail.com) To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com (aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com) Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 9:43:05 AM Subject: Re: Maintainer's for LiFePo batteries
That's the general path I'd consider. Perhaps a perusal of hobby sites for a LiFePo charger that operates from a car battery would be a good place to start. Failing that, a small 12V-120vac inverter might get you there in somewhat plug&play fashion, though it would be a lot of monkey motion and not very efficient. solar panel>charge controller>inverter>charger Or..... https://www.amazon.com/DPJ-LiFePO4-Battery-Controller-SL03-4810A/dp/B07JG2V7TB/ref=asc_df_B07JG2V7TB/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=385172604940&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16702995601745525769&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9014228&hvtargid=pla-823507823024&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=78287727493&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=385172604940&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16702995601745525769&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9014228&hvtargid=pla-823507823024 generally, https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS843US843&biw=1920&bih=975&sxsrf=ACYBGNSHIvwnyBkyd9OPRuYg3iDFSaANlA%3A1571157455562&ei=z_WlXYLHIZHQtAWcwrX4Bg&q=solar+charge+controller+for+lifepo4+battery&oq=solar+charge+controller+for+lifepo4+battery+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i30.199155.213105..214599...0.2..1.443.10450.1j16j19j9j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j35i39j0i22i30j35i304i39j0i8i13i30.YH6jrcsDRBs Charlie On 10/15/2019 11:08 AM, Jared Yates wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

O

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Maintainer's for LiFePo batteries Reply with quote

Hi Earnest;

Well, you're right: Solar appears to be the best alternative [or a very long extension cord (chuckle)].
I'm sorry your aircraft has to sit outside.
Cheers! Stu.
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 12:47:23 PM

Stu,
JNX doesn't have any hangar's available, so I'm parked on the ramp until they build some more.
The $26 box may be the best choice, Charlie, except that it looks like overkill and will it run of such a small panel. I might be better off building my own circuit. The idea being to not leave something sitting on the outside of the airplane that I would be too upset about when someone walked off with it. Airplane people are an honest bunch overall, but there is always that one guy.
I must say though, that I was hoping that someone had found one of the panels that I could just plug into the always hot cig-lighter socket.

On Tuesday, October 15, 2019, 3:26:08 PM EDT, <ashleysc(at)broadstripe.net> wrote:

Hi Charlie;
Cheers! Stu.

From: "Charlie England" <ceengland7(at)gmail.com>To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.comSent: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 10:51:48 AMSubject: Re: Maintainer's for LiFePo batteries
Well, because Earnest asked for a solar powered charger. Did I miss something? On 10/15/2019 12:08 PM, ashleysc(at)broadstripe.net (ashleysc(at)broadstripe.net) wrote:
Quote:
Hi Charlie;
Cheers! Stu.

From: "Charlie England" <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> (ceengland7(at)gmail.com) To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com (aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com) Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 9:43:05 AM Subject: Re: Maintainer's for LiFePo batteries
That's the general path I'd consider. Perhaps a perusal of hobby sites for a LiFePo charger that operates from a car battery would be a good place to start. Failing that, a small 12V-120vac inverter might get you there in somewhat plug&play fashion, though it would be a lot of monkey motion and not very efficient. solar panel>charge controller>inverter>charger Or.... https://www.amazon.com/DPJ-LiFePO4-Battery-Controller-SL03-4810A/dp/B07JG2V7TB/ref=asc_df_B07JG2V7TB/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=385172604940&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16702995601745525769&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9014228&hvtargid=pla-823507823024&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=78287727493&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=385172604940&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16702995601745525769&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9014228&hvtargid=pla-823507823024 generally, https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS843US843&biw=1920&bih=975&sxsrf=ACYBGNSHIvwnyBkyd9OPRuYg3iDFSaANlA%3A1571157455562&ei=z_WlXYLHIZHQtAWcwrX4Bg&q=solar+charge+controller+for+lifepo4+battery&oq=solar+charge+controller+for+lifepo4+battery+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i30.199155.213105..214599...0.2..1.443.10450.1j16j19j9j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j35i39j0i22i30j35i304i39j0i8i13i30.YH6jrcsDRBs Charlie On 10/15/2019 11:08 AM, Jared Yates wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
I'm still looking for a solar powered "maintainer" that will work with a LiFePo battery, and would really like a pointer if someone has found a good solution.  I'm using the Scorpion battery to start my 120Hp Corvair. I'm VERY happy with how fast and how long it will spin the Corvair when it is charged, but I've been asking a lot from this battery due to carb issues that I've been having to work through. Lots of cranking, without much engine running to recharge.

O

argoldman(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Maintainer's for LiFePo batteries Reply with quote

My understanding is that the LiFePo batteries have incredibly slow self-discharge rate. That being the case, is a maintainer charger necessary?

Of course is there is current drain via a clock or other drainer the maintainer may be helpful.

Rich

--

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Maintainer's for LiFePo batteries Reply with quote

At 03:34 PM 10/15/2019, you wrote:
Quote:
My understanding is that the LiFePo batteries have incredibly slow self-discharge rate. That being the case, is a maintainer charger necessary?

Yeah, good question. Perhaps you've already
mentioned it but what, in your experience,
suggests that you need a maintainer on
this battery?

Bob . . .

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Maintainer's for LiFePo batteries Reply with quote

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 10:24 AM Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

this battery?

Bob . . .

Same question applies to SLAs...

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

echristley(at)att.net

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Maintainer's for LiFePo batteries Reply with quote

1) "Slow discharge" and "No discharge" are not the same thing. Especially when weather extremities are taken into account.
2) A topped off battery is less of an issue for planes that will kick off within two blades at every start. It is more of a concern when you're trying to work through carb issues or some other maintenance item the leave you tagged as a "starter abuser".
3) PM generators have the advantage of being light, simple, and reliable, but don't generally provide an overabundance of excess charge current. Have that PM generator driven inline (it spins at engine RPM), and you have more trouble. Combine these two with number 2, and you have a frustrating pain in the rear that has you inventing new words on Sunday mornings at the airport when you should've been in church anyhow.

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 11:19:54 AM EDT, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com> wrote:

Quote:

this battery?

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: