Wiring Diagrams and Pictures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
bearhawklife

Joined: 08 Oct 2019
Location: Charlotte, NC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:56 am    Post subject: Wiring Diagrams and Pictures Reply with quote

This will my first post on the AeroElectric forum and so I hope my first question won't get me banned for asking the proverbial "dumb question" on topic that may have already been covered that I have yet to find...

I have Bob's book and several others on aircraft wiring. All have been very helpful and I have learned much.

I am building a Bearhawk 4 Place powered by the IO-540. With the help of Nathan over at B&C and Jason Smith at Aerotronics, I have chosen to go with a dual alternator single battery set up. From Bob's book, I have selected to follow the Z12M diagram (attached) as a guide.

Being that I am a visual person, I get the theory and written concepts, I just need to "see it". For example, indicating on a schematic that the main battery ground goes to the ground bus / electrical panel…. I’m not sure what that looks like? Or the ground from the engine case to the airframe? Other connections are difficult to imagine as well. I appreciate the routing and wire sizes indicated in the drawings. Just curious if there is a resource for seeing the actual connections.

Nathan Bainbridge has suggested searching on www.vansairforce.net or just google “RV-7 builders log” for various builders pics. Which I have but still coming up short.

Thanks for your help!

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

Z12M.pdf

Download
 Filename:  Z12M.pdf
 Filesize:  135.06 KB
 Downloaded:  327 Time(s)

_________________
Currently building a Bearhawk 4 Place.

Last edited by bearhawklife on Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
bob.verwey(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject: Wiring Diagrams and Pictures Reply with quote

Hi Rob and welcome!
There are no "dumb questions " here!
Best...Bob Verwey

082 331 2727
[img]https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B5d7rgAInTuTUUZsUjY4QmJsdVU&revid=0B5d7rgAInTuTdDJDaXRFZVh3b3lMa3FWL0s3MFdzc01YRlNvPQ[/img]

On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 at 14:03, bearhawklife <rob(at)robcaldwell.net (rob(at)robcaldwell.net)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "bearhawklife" <rob(at)robcaldwell.net (rob(at)robcaldwell.net)>

This will my first post on the AeroElectric forum and so I hope my first question won't get me banned for asking the proverbial "dumb question" on topic that may have already been covered that I have yet to find..

I have Bob's book and several others on aircraft wiring.  All have been very helpful and I have learned much.

I am building a Bearhawk 4 Place powered by the IO-540.  With the help of Nathan over at B&C and Jason Smith at Aerotronics, I have chosen to go with a dual alternator single battery set up.  From Bob's book, I have selected to follow the A12M diagram (attached) as a guide.

Being that I am a visual person, I get the theory and written concepts, I just need to "see it".  For example, indicating on a schematic that the main battery ground goes to the ground bus / electrical panel…. I’m not sure what that looks like?  Or the ground from the engine case to the airframe?  Other connections are difficult to imagine as well.  I appreciate the routing and wire sizes indicated in the drawings.  Just curious if there is a resource for seeing the actual connections.

Nathan Bainbridge has suggested searching on www.vansairforce.net or just google “RV-7 builders log” for various builders pics.  Which I have but still coming up short.

Thanks for your help!

--------
Currently building a Bearhawk 4 Place.

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/z12m_107.pdf

===========
-
Electric-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Kellym

Location: Sun Lakes AZ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Wiring Diagrams and Pictures Reply with quote

I don't see your question as "dumb" at all. If you can find pictures of
firewall on most aircraft, you can see a lot of the wiring of major
components, such as starter relay, shunt, and so forth. I don't know if
you are wanting to see what the connectors look like....mostly ring
terminals of various sizes and "fast-on" connectors for most ground
connections. It is relatively common to run main positive battery lead
from the master solenoid to the starter solenoid, and then connect the
main bus to that same terminal. Also relatively common to use the
airframe (tube structure in your case) for grounding large current
items, while running all low current (avionic item) grounds to a single
point. You will find that a lot of type certificated aircraft follow
those methods, and many shops will let you eyeball the firewall forward
on aircraft that they have removed cowling. Most of the connections
other than avionics bus and lighting are in the firewall forward area.
Some aircraft, like composite, lacking metal tube frame or all metal
skin have to do things differently.
You might find additional help if you can describe what mission factors
led to your dual alternator, single battery configuration.

Kelly

On 10/9/2019 4:56 AM, bearhawklife wrote:
[...]

Kelly McMullen
A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor # 5286
KCHD
bearhawklife

Joined: 08 Oct 2019
Location: Charlotte, NC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Diagrams and Pictures Reply with quote

Kellym wrote:
You might find additional help if you can describe what mission factors
led to your dual alternator, single battery configuration.

Kelly

My ignition system will be one SureFly EI and one Slick mag. I was originally thinking dual Light Speed EI. But was turned off after understanding the complexity (just my impression) of all the ancillary and satellite components and mounting locations (additional battery, coil packs, modules on the cold side of the firewall, with cooling fans, etc). SureFly came out with their 6 cylinder mag replacement version recently. This immediately became the answer for me. I'm not building a race plane, just wanted the improved performance of EI. SureFly requires power from the battery. All of this drove my decision for the dual alternator single battery setup. I am using B&C's BC460-H 60amp (main) and BC410-H 20-30amp (b/u) alternators. SkyTec 149NL Starter.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Currently building a Bearhawk 4 Place.
glastar(at)gmx.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Wiring Diagrams and Pictures Reply with quote

[img]cid:part1.6A3C4AED.85AE870C(at)gmx.net[/img]

Rob hard to find some pictures from 16 years ago Smile Here you see the two fuseblocks of main and essential bus, if you go to the right you see on the FW the forrest of tabs (under that grey tube) from the ground bus and the big brass screw going through the FW where on the other side a flexibel strap goes to the engine. This is a plexi FW fitted to    see where to drill holes before fitting the real FW.
[img]cid:part2.E241114E.7FE857E8(at)gmx.net[/img]
[img]cid:part3.22023B8A.B2ED6A62(at)gmx.net[/img]
Quote:
[...]

fuseblock1.jpg
 Filesize:  397 KB
 Viewed:  7924 Time(s)

fuseblock1.jpg

glovebox-fuseblock-avionicsrack.jpg
 Filesize:  335.58 KB
 Viewed:  7924 Time(s)

glovebox-fuseblock-avionicsrack.jpg

fw-setup-s.jpg
 Filesize:  159.36 KB
 Viewed:  7924 Time(s)

fw-setup-s.jpg

Back to top
bearhawklife

Joined: 08 Oct 2019
Location: Charlotte, NC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Diagrams and Pictures Reply with quote

Quote:

Rob hard to find some pictures from 16 years ago Smile Here you see the two fuseblocks of main and essential bus, if you go to the right you see on the FW the forrest of tabs (under that grey tube) from the ground bus and the big brass screw going through the FW where on the other side a flexibel strap goes to the engine. This is a plexi FW fitted to    see where to drill holes before fitting the real FW.

Thanks so much!

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Currently building a Bearhawk 4 Place.
user9253

Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Location: Riley TWP Michigan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Diagrams and Pictures Reply with quote

One option is to use a forest of tabs.
Here is a link to pictures: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=99656
B&C sells forest of tabs.
https://bandc.com/search/?search_results=ground+block
You do not necessarily have to use a forest of tabs. Another option is to buy
a brass bolt made for toilets. Drill a hole through the firewall. Attach battery
Ground and engine ground to the brass bolt on the engine side of the
firewall. Attach other grounds with ring terminals to the brass bolt on the aft
side of the firewall. More than one wire may be crimped or soldered into each
ring terminal. Internal tooth star washers will prevent loosening of the nut and bolt.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Joe Gores
bearhawklife

Joined: 08 Oct 2019
Location: Charlotte, NC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Diagrams and Pictures Reply with quote

user9253 wrote:
One option is to use a forest of tabs.
Here is a link to pictures: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=99656
B&C sells forest of tabs.
https://bandc.com/search/?search_results=ground+block
You do not necessarily have to use a forest of tabs. Another option is to buy
a brass bolt made for toilets. Drill a hole through the firewall. Attach battery
Ground and engine ground to the brass bolt on the engine side of the
firewall. Attach other grounds with ring terminals to the brass bolt on the aft
side of the firewall. More than one wire may be crimped or soldered into each
ring terminal. Internal tooth star washers will prevent loosening of the nut and bolt.

I had not considered the firewall itself as the "airframe" ground. My literal brain was imagining the structural tube fuselage to make the airframe ground.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Currently building a Bearhawk 4 Place.
Kellym

Location: Sun Lakes AZ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Wiring Diagrams and Pictures Reply with quote

Ok, your EI does encourage a second power source, which could be 2nd
battery or alternator. By mission, I am thinking more whether you would
be doing back country flying where starting or replacement parts could
be an issue, or more than occasional IFR where redundancy could be more
critical. As Bob stresses, design requires thinking of all failure modes
and what best mitigates the risk, based on mission. Not suggesting that
you haven't already done that, just that it is a consideration in how to
wire to keep simple with minimum possible failure points.

On 10/9/2019 7:43 AM, bearhawklife wrote:
Quote:

Kellym wrote:
> You might find additional help if you can describe what mission factors
> led to your dual alternator, single battery configuration.
>
> Kelly

My ignition system will be one SureFly EI and one Slick mag. I was originally thinking dual Light Speed EI. But was turned off after understanding the complexity (just my impression) of all the ancillary and satellite components and mounting locations (additional battery, coil packs, modules on the cold side of the firewall, with cooling fans, etc). SureFly came out with their 6 cylinder mag replacement version recently. This immediately became the answer for me. I'm not building a race plane, just wanted the improved performance of EI. I am using B&C's BC460-H 60amp (main) and BC410-H 20-30amp (b/u) alternators. SkyTec 149NL Starter.

--------
Currently building a Bearhawk 4 Place.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Kelly McMullen
A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor # 5286
KCHD
bearhawklife

Joined: 08 Oct 2019
Location: Charlotte, NC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Diagrams and Pictures Reply with quote

Kellym wrote:
Ok, your EI does encourage a second power source, which could be 2nd
battery or alternator. By mission, I am thinking more whether you would
be doing back country flying where starting or replacement parts could
be an issue, or more than occasional IFR where redundancy could be more
critical. As Bob stresses, design requires thinking of all failure modes
and what best mitigates the risk, based on mission. Not suggesting that
you haven't already done that, just that it is a consideration in how to
wire to keep simple with minimum possible failure points.

Yes, these considerations were discussed with Jason Smith at Aerotronics at the time my panel was designed and built. Jason did a great job working through all scenarios. His company also did a fantastic job building my panel (10" Skyview HDX, Avidyne 540, 2 axis AP, panel mounted iPad, etc).

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Currently building a Bearhawk 4 Place.
Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Wiring Diagrams and Pictures Reply with quote

just some random pics from my RV10 build of some years ago.
Fuse blocks and firewall ground
Dual Battery tray and wiring with ground

On 10/9/2019 7:56 AM, bearhawklife wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Diagrams and Pictures Reply with quote

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com wrote:
just some random pics from my RV10 build of some years ago....

Thanks so much!

I made contact with Aerotronics and Jason Smith helped me out greatly and supplied me with a custom wiring diagram for my setup. Can't say enough about Aerotronics!

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

Currently building a Bearhawk 4 Place.
echristley(at)att.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Wiring Diagrams and Pictures Reply with quote

Beautiful work, Bill, and I wouldn't change a thing. But, just a suggestion for other people considering those fuse blocks. You can get fast-tabs that have the wire exiting at 90 degrees. It really cleans up the wiring, and allows the bundle to lie flat.

On Tuesday, October 15, 2019, 11:21:53 AM EDT, Bill Watson <Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com> wrote:

[...]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours