CJ6 prop blade leakage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
Okanogan Lew

Joined: 22 Jul 2010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: CJ6 prop blade leakage Reply with quote

Guys, I have noticed a heavy grease seeping from the propeller hub onto the blades of on my CJ6. I assume there is a seal that needs to be replaced. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
dsavarese0812(at)bellsout
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: CJ6 prop blade leakage Reply with quote

First determine if there is oil inside the hub when you pull the prop hum dome and piston. If there is, replace both the inner and outer seal on the piston.

Oil inside the hub will spew out on to the blade roots when the prop is spinning. Oil inside the hub is caused by a weak inner piston seal.

Check your log books for the last time the hub was disassembled, cleaned and all bearings and races regreased. If it hasn’t been done in the last 200 hours, it would be a good idea to do so.

Also check the log book to see if the collet seals have been replaced in the last 600-750 hours. Again, if there is no record of it being done, it would be recommended they be replaced as well.

Dennis

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Oct 10, 2019, at 10:05 AM, Okanogan Lew <vplewis(at)community.org> wrote:

Guys, I have noticed a heavy grease seeping from the propeller hub onto the blades of on my CJ6. I assume there is a seal that needs to be replaced. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
draftsjust417(at)gmail.co
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: CJ6 prop blade leakage Reply with quote

If anyone is doing such prop work in the Pacific NW area in the future, I'd very much like to come and watch/assist... ?

Justin
N280NC
Seattle

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 5:12 AM Anthony Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Yak-List message posted by: Anthony Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)>

First determine if there is oil inside the hub when you pull the prop hum dome and piston. If there is, replace both the inner and outer seal on the piston.

Oil inside the hub will spew out on to the blade roots when the prop is spinning. Oil inside the hub is caused by a weak inner piston seal.

Check your log books for the last time the hub was disassembled, cleaned and all bearings and races regreased. If it hasn’t been done in the last 200 hours, it would be a good idea to do so.

Also check the log book to see if the collet seals have been replaced in the last 600-750 hours. Again, if there is no record of it being done, it would be recommended they be replaced as well.

Dennis

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 10, 2019, at 10:05 AM, Okanogan Lew <vplewis(at)community.org (vplewis(at)community.org)> wrote:
>
> --> Yak-List message posted by: "Okanogan Lew" <vplewis(at)community.org (vplewis(at)community.org)>
>
> Guys, I have noticed a heavy grease seeping from the propeller hub onto the blades of on my CJ6. I assume there is a seal that needs to be replaced. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Read this topic online here:

===========
List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
okanoganlew(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject: CJ6 prop blade leakage Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis, do the blades have to be removed to install the seals?  My A&P has no idea.

===========
List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
threein60

Joined: 04 Feb 2016
Location: Everett Wa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: CJ6 prop blade leakage Reply with quote

Sent from my iPhone

===========
List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
dsavarese0812(at)bellsout
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: CJ6 prop blade leakage Reply with quote

If you're talking about the collet seals, yes. Then the blade angles have to be reset. If you're talking about the seals in the prop hub piston, no. To grease the bearings, you loosen the large castellated nuts on each side and remove the entire assembly from the hub. What remains in the hub is one flat bearing, one race and a slider. Each side is the same. The other flat bearing is on the assembly you removed.
Dennis

===========
List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
okanoganlew(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: CJ6 prop blade leakage Reply with quote

Very helpful, thanks.

===========
List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
okanoganlew(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: CJ6 prop blade leakage Reply with quote

I have removed one blade.  What do you recommend for grease?

===========
List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
dsavarese0812(at)bellsout
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: CJ6 prop blade leakage Reply with quote

Aeroshell #5 is good. Dennis

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

===========
List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
okanoganlew(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: CJ6 prop blade leakage Reply with quote

I noticed that the castle nuts on my prop have rows of drilled & tapped holes, but no screws installed.  Photo's of other Housai props show screws installed & safety wired.  Is my CJ missing a prop piece?  Thanks.

Paul
On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 6:13 PM Anthony Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:

Quote:
Aeroshell #5 is good. Dennis

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

===========
List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
stephen.hayne

Joined: 01 Nov 2013
Location: United States

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: CJ6 prop blade leakage Reply with quote

Those "screws" hold balance weights. Best to start by leaving them off (unless you have an exact pic of how you took them off and marked the blades, etc.).

Then, get a prop balancer and go for it. It will likely take many tries to get it under .04ips, which is what my buddy shoots for...

Good article: https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2018/january/22/propeller-maintenance-balancing

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

_________________
-
Stephen Hayne, Cyber Security Consultant, Professor Emeritus (retired)
443LM Nanchang CJA
http://selfsynchronize.com/hayne/plane/cj6.asp
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
okanoganlew(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: CJ6 prop blade leakage Reply with quote

Justin, Walt Lannon will be at the Tonasket Airport tomorrow morning at nine to help me with my prop shaft seals.  If you want to fly over & be involved, your are welcome to.

Paul

===========
List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
draftsjust417(at)gmail.co
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: CJ6 prop blade leakage Reply with quote

Ah that sounds great, but alas, I'm still over here in Afghanistan until early Nov.A bit of a long commute!
Please do snap lots of pix, I'd be VERY grateful to see all the steps!

Thanks for the invite, I'm sure your prop will be up to speed asap-
Justin

===========
List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours