Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glide Ratio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpark

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject: Glide Ratio Reply with quote

Does anyone have an idea of the glide ratio of a Trike feathered or otherwise??

Dave

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

Europa48

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Glide Ratio Reply with quote

dpark wrote:

Dave

Apologies for not answering your question.

It will always be less than you think! An engine failure at any given height will not automatically give you the published maximum distance to find a landing site. Having flown helicopters which pretty well go to the place almost directly under your feet when looking out of the cockpit and also having had several engine failures over the years I would not consider looking at the altimeter and think "Oh, 4,000 I should be able to g X miles from here." There are too many variables out there the will come into play.

I once had an engine stop on finals to Shobdon in a Bonanza and although I could see the runway less than 2 miles away from 1500 feet I just picked a field close by and went there and landed with practically no damage save for some barbed wire scratches to the wings when I went through a fence.

I don't think I would have made the runway tempting as it was.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

christoph.both(at)acadiau

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Glide Ratio Reply with quote

Classic wing TRI with 2 blade Woodcomp SR3000-2blade:
Best glide speed for minimum sink, propeller NOT feathered: IAS 75 kts, 700ft/min
Best glide speed for minimum sink, propeller feathered: IAS 70 kts, 600 ft/min
No wheelpants.
1250lbs
Christoph Both
Wolfville, Nova Scotia
Canada
On 2019-09-05, 5:20 PM, "owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com on behalf of david park" <owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com on behalf of dpark748(at)hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

Dave

Hitchflight

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Glide Ratio Reply with quote

Hi David

After much testing. I decided to go with 12:1 for my XS Mono
I incorporate the distance in Sky Demon. A software feature then portrays the gliding distance available based on this assumption.
The software takes into account altitude, wind direction and topography.

A picture is worth a thousand words. See picture attached.

Regards

Bob

2E870EB0-B600-4110-ADB7-5604F4795112.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  231.35 KB
 Viewed:  3772 Time(s)

2E870EB0-B600-4110-ADB7-5604F4795112.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: