brake locked

diamond

Joined: 21 Apr 2019

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: brake locked Reply with quote

Hello,
I own an xs tri with finger brakes
After having activated the parking brake, my left brake was stuck. I had to loosen the bleed screw to free the disc.
Any ideas?

dpark748(at)me.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: brake locked Reply with quote

Happened to me on a live runway at Burgos, taxiing for fuel after having the handbrake on!
Both brakes locked on. Fire Service came out to assist removing spats etc to relieve pressure on the bleed nipples.
Suspected at the time it was overheating?
G-LDVO
Dave Park
Quote:
On 12 Jul 2019, at 22:39, diamond <emanu(at)gmx.fr> wrote:

Hello,
I own an xs tri with finger brakes
After having activated the parking brake, my left brake was stuck. I had to loosen the bleed screw to free the disc.
Any ideas?

wdaniell.longport(at)gmai
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: brake locked Reply with quote

Yes....was it very hot?
It happened to me one hot day...I left the aircraft out in the sun with the parking brake on and and it bound on - apparently the older PA28s do it.  I cant remember the explanation though.  If it happens take the brakes off and put it in the shade.  it will loosen after a while
William Daniell

LONGPORT

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 5:42 PM diamond <emanu(at)gmx.fr (emanu(at)gmx.fr)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: "diamond" <emanu(at)gmx.fr (emanu(at)gmx.fr)>

Hello,
I own an xs tri with finger brakes
After having activated the parking brake, my left brake was stuck. I had to loosen the bleed screw to free the disc.
Any ideas?

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

diamond

Joined: 21 Apr 2019

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: brake locked Reply with quote

For me was a sunny day but not very warm...
A friend of me has the same problem...
In my mind it’s the park brake box (pvpv-d for matco system)
I’m curious to know how it works...
But in general the europa brake system conception seems to be poor...
I’m surprised to see a twisted caliper piston pushing on only half a pad...

398C875C-BF2D-41F8-869C-4CF24A4D2EE3.jpeg
 Filesize:  1.65 MB
 Viewed:  8048 Time(s)

398C875C-BF2D-41F8-869C-4CF24A4D2EE3.jpeg

budyerly(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject: brake locked Reply with quote

Yep,
With the brakes pulled on very hard (about 450PSI), the heat expands the fluid (the outer shop is very hot in summer) and the brake pressure south of the park brake got higher with the heat and soon the spring release on the valve, can’t release against the pressure. I use Mil 5606 in 12AY, and that is a sticky fluid which probably didn’t help either.

By the way, the master and slave cylinders can stick also. If your brake caliper slides are a bit on the loose side, then you can cock the brake caliper and it just won’t release unless the plane is moved. Also the caliper piston is prone to cocking causing a dragging brake.

I’m thinking of going to a wagon wheel wood to tire park brake setup with a long handle and cable. It’s 50 pounds, so I’m thinking of making it lighter and smaller. Perhaps a set of custom chocks made from small aluminum angle may be a smarter idea.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: brake locked Reply with quote

Thanks for you response.
I don’t understand what you mean by :
« I�m thinking of going to a wagon wheel wood to tire park brake setup with a long handle and cable ».

You want to avoid to use park brakes?

I wonder which fluid is the best to minimize this problem...

I requested a quote from berringer for a full brake set including wheels and I’m waiting for it.

budyerly(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: brake locked Reply with quote

Sorry,

In Europe you are not used to the 1860s Western horse drawn wagon of our cowboys and indian TV shows. It had a very simple full proof brake. A lever operated by hand (and foot as it required heavy pressure) to move a friction block against the wheel. Not efficient, heavy, but with much manual strength, worked somewhat effectively.

My sarcastic humor gets me in trouble. Sorry.

I have no intension of changing my brakes. I have Matco cylinders and parking brake. Works OK.

Heating of the trigear brake is a real problem. On a long taxi with a strong crosswind, your brakes will get hot enough to melt the plastic brake lines, cause Dot3 brake fluid to boil, liquify the rubber seal in the caliper and inject air into your system from the boiling.

Without nose gear steering or a slightly stiff nose friction plate, the brakes are your only steering.

Heat shields on the disk, a slightly stiff nose friction plate, help but this is a common problem for the castering nose gear aircraft. Wheel pants insulate the wheel and tire area from being able to radiate the disk heat away. Many certified aircraft fly with no wheel pants as a result of this maintenance problem. The SR22 added NACA ducts to their pant to cool their mains during taxi, others just use pants that only cover half the wheel. They look like dress pants that are too short. These high water pants are good mud flaps to keep the wing clean from dirt, but aerodynamically they are worthless as they add weight and do not improve performance. These high pants and ducts help dissipate heat to the atmosphere though.

I apologize I never did a paper on my disk heat protection (heat shields) I had to do for some of my clients with heavy aircraft, and long taxi routes

Roland

Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Location: EDLE

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: brake locked Reply with quote

FWIW I have a Trigear with original Europa wheel pants and I don't have this overheating problem even in very high temperatures >30°C and long taxi distances. However I don't have a parking brake installed but just use chocks to secure the aircraft while parked. The system is filled with DOT 5.1 fluid since I purchased it from the previous owner 8 years ago. I seem to remember that it has to be modified to use DOT 5.1.

Regards
Roland
PH-ZTI
XS TG 914

diamond

Joined: 21 Apr 2019

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: brake locked Reply with quote

Thanks for you response all together. I’m planning to have a quote from beringer, but it could be available only in september...
Sad
waiting for that I could replace the liquid, but how to open that reservoir...?

549B26D3-1C61-42C6-A96F-0975FACCCD50.jpeg
 Filesize:  29.12 KB
 Viewed:  7932 Time(s)

549B26D3-1C61-42C6-A96F-0975FACCCD50.jpeg

Ivor

Joined: 23 Jul 2015

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: brake locked Reply with quote

The red bung is the filling point, or remove the complete top using
7/16 spanner

diamond

Joined: 21 Apr 2019

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: brake locked Reply with quote

Thanks