RV-7 Performance Data Request

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List
aox1969(at)earthlink.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: RV-7 Performance Data Request Reply with quote

Hi, I have an RV-7 with a LYCO IO-360 & a constant speed prop; and, I would like to get some actual performance figures to use in FltPlan.com. I would very much appreciate any data/performance figures that you use for X-country planning. Hopefully I can ‘pick your brain’ for Altitude, RPM, Manifold Pressure/Throttle setting, and what IAS & TAS speeds those settings produce. It would also be greatly appreciated if you would include your Climb & Descent speeds and GPH that you fly. Also, any tips or tricks that you have learned in your X-country planning and flying.
Thank you very much

- The Matronics RV7-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List
Back to top
garrys(at)tampabay.rr.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: RV-7 Performance Data Request Reply with quote

I too would be interested in these numbers.

Garry Stout
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2019, at 10:45 AM, mdaniels <aox1969(at)earthlink.net> wrote:

Hi, I have an RV-7 with a LYCO IO-360 & a constant speed prop; and, I would like to get some actual performance figures to use in FltPlan.com. I would very much appreciate any data/performance figures that you use for X-country planning. Hopefully I can ‘pick your brain’ for Altitude, RPM, Manifold Pressure/Throttle setting, and what IAS & TAS speeds those settings produce. It would also be greatly appreciated if you would include your Climb & Descent speeds and GPH that you fly. Also, any tips or tricks that you have learned in your X-country planning and flying.
Thank you very much

- The Matronics RV7-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List
Back to top
mr.sun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: RV-7 Performance Data Request Reply with quote

I have flown my 2004 RV7 for many hours now (IO360, Hartwell C/S, SkyView). Lots of cross country. I file for 150 knots at 12,000 or 11,000 depending on terrain & heading. Have O2 but wife doesn't like it. Usually see about 19.5" at 2400rpm and run 8.5 gpm leaned out but ROP. I don't keep track of exact numbers but these are close. Sometimes will run LOP but not that often. Greg

Greg

--> RV7-List message posted by: Garry Stout <garrys(at)tampabay.rr.com>

I too would be interested in these numbers.

Garry Stout

> On Jul 15, 2019, at 10:45 AM, mdaniels <aox1969(at)earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> --> RV7-List message posted by: mdaniels <aox1969(at)earthlink.net>
>
> Hi, I have an RV-7 with a LYCO IO-360 & a constant speed prop; and, I would like to get some actual performance figures to use in FltPlan.com. I would very much appreciate any data/performance figures that you use for X-country planning. Hopefully I can pick your brain for Altitude, RPM, Manifold Pressure/Throttle setting, and what IAS & TAS speeds those settings produce. It would also be greatly appreciated if you would include your Climb & Descent speeds and GPH that you fly. Also, any tips or tricks that you have learned in your X-country planning and flying.
> Thank you very much

===========
Email Forum -
List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List
===========
p; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
ums.matronics.com
===========
p; - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
matronics.com
===========
p; - List Contribution Web Site -
p; -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
http://www.matronics.com/contribution

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List

_________________
Greg RV-7
pilots2(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: RV-7 Performance Data Request Reply with quote

RV7A, Aerosport IO360, Vans CS Prop. 1,050 Hrs, lots of Xcty. 4,500 to 11,500 (no Ox), Normal cruse power setting 65% ish, 22" (or what I can get at the higher alts) 2400 rpm, between 7 to 8gph, EGTs 1,350 range, usual TAS 150-155 K, Climb speeds 110 -120 K for eng cooling and I like to look over the nose to see what I am about to hit. 2.5 hrs San Diego to SFO Bay Area Smile. Its ALL good

Reuven Silberman CFII

Many people die with their music still in them.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Enjoy life now It has an expiration date.
Anon

Being defeated is a choice.
Ronda Rousey

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
Wayne Gretzky

On Monday, July 15, 2019, 8:54:49 AM PDT, Garry Stout <garrys(at)tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

--> RV7-List message posted by: Garry Stout <garrys(at)tampabay.rr.com (garrys(at)tampabay.rr.com)>

I too would be interested in these numbers.

Garry Stout

Quote:

--> RV7-List message posted by: mdaniels <aox1969(at)earthlink.net (aox1969(at)earthlink.net)>

_-========================sp; - The RV7-List Email Forum -

http://forums.matronbsp; - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -

http://wiki.matronics.com

<================

; -Matt Draltp://www.matronics.com/contribution" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">htt========

- The Matronics RV7-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List
Back to top
RV7ASask

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: RV-7 Performance Data Request Reply with quote

Hello

I have an RV7A with over 400 hours on a Lycoming IO360, dual Lightspeed Ignition, Hartzell constant speed prop. We have done lots of cross country from coast to coast and into the Northwest Territories. I like to fly between 8,000 and 12,000 feet but will go down to 6,500 feet if there are big head winds. Above 12,000 I go on oxygen but that is usually when I am alone. I always file 150 knots TAS and that is pretty honest. In cruise I don’t look at IAS, TAS is all I am concerned with. I usually cruise at 2300 or 2250 RPM and burn 29 litres per hour or just under 8 US gallons per hour. I am a big advocate of Lean of Peak and on the Skyview ‘LEAN’ mode usually run 20 to 50 degrees LOP.

I suggest you look at Pelican Perch by John Deakin’s columns on AvWeb. John says "Lean-of-peak operation is cooler, cleaner, and kinder to the engine.” See Pelican Perch #15, #16, #18, and a few others on operating a flat, air cooled engine. https://www.avweb.com/flight-safety/pelicans-perch-index/

Also see Mike Busch of “Savvy Aviation” https://www.savvyaviation.com/ Mike is amazing. I have heard him speak at OSH a number of times and he is usually at the top of my list when looking at OSH forums to attend. Mike is also an advocate of Lean of Peak and says manifold pressure is really suction. As he recommends, I now on takeoff go to full throttle and if I am climbing up for a cross country I will not touch the throttle until I want to slow down during descent. I will tweek the RPM back to about 2500 during climb.

Good Luck.

David

- The Matronics RV7-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List
fvalarm(at)rapidnet.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: RV-7 Performance Data Request Reply with quote

When flying high in my RV7A...
Throttle is always full open for max available manifold presssure,
I usually use 2400rpm for cruise because I've had it dynamically balanced at that RPM. Yours may be different.

Once established in cruise, I lean to LOP via the big pull method and end up around 40-60 LOP resulting in 7.5gph, 160Knots (TAS) at 8,000-11,000'. A little slower when higher (maybe 155TAS (at) 12,500' (from memory).
I have fuel injection and dual P-mags (spark advance) so not all will be able to get the same results. What you really need to do is to do some research on the equipment/configurations onboard, plan some test cards and go fly. You'll want to know a bunch more stuff if it's not in the POH the builder made (or didn't). Things like...
best rate/angle of climb.

Max power fuel consumption.
Various cruise speed fuel consumptions.

Best glide speed (mine was a range).
Least amount of sink (power off glide). Be sure to do it with prop fine AND coarse.
Doing these things yourself will bring a lot of understanding and make you a better pilot. Each Amateur-built RV7 is somewhat unique for various reasons, and we like it this way. Smile

Bevan

===========

--
Bevan Tomm
Senior Technician

- The Matronics RV7-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List
Back to top
mr.sun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: RV-7 Performance Data Request Reply with quote

So what does it mean when you're in cruise, leaned but ROP, everything looks good but one cylinder, number three, is running lower egt then the rest. By almost a hundred degrees.

Greg

[...]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: RV-7 Performance Data Request Reply with quote

If you have one cylinder running much cooler than the others it means the mixture going into that cylinder is richer than the others. If you have fuel injection you can change out the injector to that cylinder for an injector that will give a leaner mixture. If you have a carburetor there isn't a whole lot you can do.

The experts in this are the guys at GAMI in Ada, OK. https://gami.com/ They will look for all your cruise data either downloaded or manually written out and they will provide new injectors, for a price.

Regards
David

- The Matronics RV7-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours