Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rotax 912S/ULS 100hp oil consumption

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonathanMilbank

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Rotax 912S/ULS 100hp oil consumption Reply with quote

Today I was topping up the oil in the dry sump reservoir tank, after it had been thoroughly and repeatedly gurgled/burped, thinking that my ULS engine uses a lot more oil than my old UL 80hp engine did a few years ago. So I decided to 'phone a friend with an identical aircraft and engine, to ask him how much oil he uses between 50hr oil and filter changes.

My friend in turn asked another owner and their joint reply was between 500ml and 1 litre. This is about the same as what I think my engine is using, maybe biased closer to 1 litre.

I'd be interested to know from any of you with the same engine, what you think your average oil consumption is per 50 flying hours. Many thanks.

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

Last edited by JonathanMilbank on Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Burrilla

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Rotax 912S/ULS 100hp oil consumption Reply with quote

Quote:
>I'd be interested to know from any of you with the same engine, what you think your average oil consumption is per 50 flying hours.<<

About 200ml

Alan

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On 22 Jun 2019, at 20:02, JonathanMilbank <jdmilbank(at)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

I'd be interested to know from any of you with the same engine, what you think your average oil consumption is per 50 flying hours. Many thanks.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Olivier.hequet@neuf.fr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotax 912S/ULS 100hp oil consumption Reply with quote

Hi

Approximatly 80 ml for 50 hours for mine.

Olivier

JonathanMilbank

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotax 912S/ULS 100hp oil consumption Reply with quote

Olivier's answer of 80ml per 50 hours seems amazing. Should that be 800ml? Such a low figure is what I would expect from the 912UL 80hp. But perhaps the engine is quite new?

My engine has around 450 hours and doesn't leak oil. The spark plugs always look dry with a light brown to white colour on the insulators. The exhaust pipe shows a grey colour inside with no hint of oiliness. Oil pressure is very good and oil temperature in the cruise is up around 90C.

The exhaust outlet pipe gases leave a slight light brown stain along the lower left side of the fuselage, stretching along under and a little to the rear of the left wing. This stain is easy to wipe off every 10 hours or so, using a rag dampened with a little petrol. Very little oil, maybe 30ml collects in the tank breather tube catch pot between oil changes.

In other words I can't see or understand where the oil is going. Up to 1 litre per 50 flying hours may seem excessive to some of you but as stated already, others seem to think that it's normal enough. 1 litre is almost exactly the same as 1 US quart.

Olivier.hequet@neuf.fr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotax 912S/ULS 100hp oil consumption Reply with quote

I confirm 80 ml max per 50 hours. I am very surprise during each check before flight. The level is always the same. I complete the level with a syringe and i put two times one syringe of 40 ml beetween each oil change (50 hrs).
My engine has 970 hours.
For information, Rotax say : « consumption maximum of oil : 0.06 l/h »...3 l per 50 hours!!

Good flight.
Olivier

John Wighton

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotax 912S/ULS 100hp oil consumption Reply with quote

Average usage up between changes (50hrs) is around 100 to 200ml. Generally l do not top up between changes. The engine is approx 600hrs. I have had it for 10 years.

I have oil and water stats fitted. I do not do prolonged full power climbs. I try to adjust power level in a smooth way.

Unless l am touring l don't carry spare oil in the aircraft.

JonathanMilbank

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rotax 912S/ULS 100hp oil consumption Reply with quote

Well, thanks to Olivier for the information indicating up to a maximum of 3 litres per 50 flying hours. That is most reassuring and I'll sleep better!

Remi Guerner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rotax 912S/ULS 100hp oil consumption Reply with quote

Jonathan,
My former engine (912ULS) was using about 1 liter per 100h. when I removed it at 1300 hours. The new one has only 50 hours so it is too early to talk about oil consumption.
Regards
Remi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: