Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If your propeller governor leaks at the mounting bolts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mppalmer(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: If your propeller governor leaks at the mounting bolts Reply with quote

We sold our Glasair last month, so I expect this will be my last post on this list.

But before I unsubscribe, I wanted to leave some information about oil leaks in prop governors.

Just before we sold our Glasair, oil started leaking from the upper mounting bolt of the governor. (McCauley governor, mounted on the rear of the case of an O-320 Lyc.)

I had just rebuilt the engine and had reused the prop governor gasket. So I thought this would be an easy fix - just buy a new governor gasket.

That didn't fix it.

To make a long story short, the fix is to overhaul the prop governor.

It turns out that there's an internal O-ring in the governor, between the mounting pad and the governor body proper.

Here's a link to a photo: ibb.co/CvQNpBZ

Our governor had 20 years (and 3000 hours) on it. There is a large O-ring inside the unit that fits in a tear drop shaped groove in the mounting pad.

You can see that ours had hardened and had taken a set. It wasn't sealing.

I replaced the O-ring. (A special part. Got to get it from a prop shop.) But in our case, the groove had corroded (you can see it on the right side of the tear drop), which prevented the O-ring from sealing.

A replacement governor solved the problem. (I recommend Dan at Redline Propeller in Akron, CO.)

I make this post because, while researching this problem on the web, I found a few guys recommending the use of red Loctite on the mounting studs. THAT is NOT the solution to this problem. It might stop the symptom. But it is not curing the underlying problem.

Hope this helps.

Farewell.

Mike Palmer <><

- The Matronics Glasair-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Glasair-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: