Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tails from the riverbank and fitting doors tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kearney

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Tails from the riverbank and fitting doors tips Reply with quote

Hi

First, a nickle for the first person who knows the reference in the title.

Next fitting door tips.

Eons ago I shamelessly stole a bunch of door fitting techniques and put them into a document that has had some circulation. Having just finished my second -10 I have learned a couple of things I that should be added to the document.

# 1: Door geometry is complex so only adjust one thing at a time when modifying doors. And make very small adjustments.

# 2 : Look for simple solutions BEFORE doing significant mods. Do the simple things even if you are sure they won't work. You may be surprised.

Here is what happened to me that gave rise to the above.

On my port door, I found the door would close beautifully and then after a few cycles start binding on the cabin top. It took a bit of time to spot where it was binding. Finding out why was a bit of an issue. It turns out the door strut was pushing the door aft slightly aft in the hinges. I was able to correct this by inserting a washer between the hinge halves and thereby pushing the door forward by 30 thou. My initial instinct was to modify door jam which would have been a big job. A 3 cent washer fixed it.

My next problem was the starboard door. It was a bear to close. I had to really pull in on the handle and the center interlock cam to get it to close. Even then there was a lot of resistance. My fear was I was going to have to move the door pin blocks. Again, I decided to try putting a little grease on the blocks to see if it would help any. I really didn't think it would but grease was cheap and easy.

Not only did it help but the door now engages las smooth as silk. Very easy and very smooth. My guess is the steel pin / aluminum block had a lot of friction based on the way it is making contact. Again, a little grease solved a very big problem.

So my recommendation to those frustrated by door fitting issues, be sure to really understand the root cause of your problem - it is usually not obvious and try all the simple things first. You may get lucky.

Cheers

Les

C-GCWZ sold
C-GROK ready for first flight (just need good wx)

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Ben Meyer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Tails from the riverbank and fitting doors tips Reply with quote

Any chance you could share your door fitting document?
Thanks
Ben

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Apr 26, 2019, at 11:27 AM, kearney <kearney(at)shaw.ca> wrote:

Hi

Next fitting door tips.

Eons ago I shamelessly stole a bunch of door fitting techniques and put them into a document that has had some circulation. Having just finished my second -10 I have learned a couple of things I that should be added to the document.

# 1: Door geometry is complex so only adjust one thing at a time when modifying doors. And make very small adjustments.

# 2 : Look for simple solutions BEFORE doing significant mods. Do the simple things even if you are sure they won't work. You may be surprised.

On my port door, I found the door would close beautifully and then after a few cycles start binding on the cabin top. It took a bit of time to spot where it was binding. Finding out why was a bit of an issue. It turns out the door strut was pushing the door aft slightly aft in the hinges. I was able to correct this by inserting a washer between the hinge halves and thereby pushing the door forward by 30 thou. My initial instinct was to modify door jam which would have been a big job. A 3 cent washer fixed it.

My next problem was the starboard door. It was a bear to close. I had to really pull in on the handle and the center interlock cam to get it to close. Even then there was a lot of resistance. My fear was I was going to have to move the door pin blocks. Again, I decided to try putting a little grease on the blocks to see if it would help any. I really didn't think it would but grease was cheap and easy.

Not only did it help but the door now engages las smooth as silk. Very easy and very smooth. My guess is the steel pin / aluminum block had a lot of friction based on the way it is making contact. Again, a little grease solved a very big problem.

So my recommendation to those frustrated by door fitting issues, be sure to really understand the root cause of your problem - it is usually not obvious and try all the simple things first. You may get lucky.

Cheers

Les

C-GCWZ sold

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=488972#488972

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

gspecketer(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Tails from the riverbank and fitting doors tips Reply with quote

I too finished another door set (#4). I second what Les said.

Gary Specketer

Get Outlook for iOS

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com on behalf of kearney <kearney(at)shaw.ca>
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2019 2:32 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Tails from the riverbank and fitting doors tips

--> RV10-List message posted by: "kearney" <kearney(at)shaw.ca>

Hi

Next fitting door tips.

Cheers

Les

C-GCWZ sold

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=488972#488972

===========
===========
===========
===========
===========

kearney

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Tails from the riverbank and fitting doors tips Reply with quote

Ben

Here is the document. In a way I didn't write it. I send a series of emails to a friend in Oz who then compiled it into a word doc.

Cheers

Les

C-GCWZ sold
C-GROK waiting on wx for first flight

McMaster Carr Door Seals.docx
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  McMaster Carr Door Seals.docx
 Filesize:  2.1 MB
 Downloaded:  404 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: