Dynon rebooted twice in flight

wdaniell.longport(at)gmai
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Dynon rebooted twice in flight Reply with quote

My dynon which has behaved itself impeccably up to now suddenly rebooted twice in flight and then behaved itself again.

Anyone had a similar experience?
It brought home to me the need for a back up attitude indicator.
Will

dpark748(at)me.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Dynon rebooted twice in flight Reply with quote

Did it get too hot?

Dave Park G-LDVO
Quote:
On 14 Jan 2018, at 21:23, William Daniell <wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com> wrote:

My dynon which has behaved itself impeccably up to now suddenly rebooted twice in flight and then behaved itself again.

Anyone had a similar experience?

It brought home to me the need for a back up attitude indicator.

Will

MJKTuck(at)cs.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Dynon rebooted twice in flight Reply with quote

<<It brought home to me the need for a back up attitude indicator.>>

Are you allowed to fly IMC? If not I thought the horizon would be
sufficient - unless you can fly at night I guess. If you are I didn't
think the Dynon systems were only certified for VMC.

I think I would want a back up airspeed indicator and possibly an altimeter.

Regards,
Martin Tuck

On 1/14/2018 3:50 PM, david park wrote:
Quote:
It brought home to me the need for a back up attitude indicator.

John Wighton

Joined: 18 May 2010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Dynon rebooted twice in flight Reply with quote

In the UK it is mandated to have backups of both airspeed and altimeter. For good reason.

Recently some members even managed to get approval for backups that are digital instruments - based on a safety case that they are no less reliable than conventional electric/vacuum gauges. Obviously need battery backups and be wired on separate circuits.

The Dynon D2 looks ideal as a backup. I have a Dynon D10A which acts as a full 6-pack augmenting the steam gauges. Oddly l prefer the steam gauge display as they take less time to check (on account of the needle positions being stored as a 'picture' in one's head). Dr Joyce may be able to expand on this in medical terms?

Regarding IFR, individual aircraft are being assessed in the UK for eligibility for night/IFR use. I believe that Dynon displays may be considered acceptable even without TSO (???)

John Wighton
Europa XS trigear G-IPOD
wdaniell.longport(at)gmai
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Dynon rebooted twice in flight Reply with quote

That is a possibility and it was a warm day.  It did look kinda like that too.

I am going to add some plastic tubing to take cool air from the intakes to the back of the panel next weekend.
Will

William Daniell
LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744

On Jan 14, 2018 16:52, "david park" <dpark748(at)me.com (dpark748(at)me.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: david park <dpark748(at)me.com (dpark748(at)me.com)>

Did it get too hot?

Dave Park G-LDVO

> On 14 Jan 2018, at 21:23, William Daniell <wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com (wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
>
> My dynon which has behaved itself impeccably up to now suddenly rebooted twice in flight and then behaved itself again.
>
> Anyone had a similar experience?
>
> It brought home to me the need for a back up attitude indicator.
>
> Will

====================================
pa-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
====================================
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
====================================
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
====================================
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
====================================

wdaniell.longport(at)gmai
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Dynon rebooted twice in flight Reply with quote

John

yes I have airspeed and rpm in round instruments.  I figure I can get alt from my GPS
However I have grown rather addicted to the synthetic vision and autopilot and it is a bit disconcerting when it goes blank.  I can imagine that it would be a tad more disconcerting if one were in IFR....Im very glad it happened now and not half way between Curacao and the Dom Rep....
I have been mulling this over and am thinking that I need to rebuild the panel - taking my time as opposed to rushing to get in the air.  I will
 - tidy up my electrical installation using  blade fuzes instead of bulky and heavy CBs - this will free up a lot of space in the panel and reduce weight
 - include a second 7" dynon and adahrs
-  and while Ive got the panel off include the sensor wires that I should have included to start with.
Things happen for a reason.
Will

William Daniell
LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744

On Jan 15, 2018 07:28, "John Wighton" <john(at)wighton.net (john(at)wighton.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: "John Wighton" <john(at)wighton.net (john(at)wighton.net)>

In the UK it is mandated to have backups of both airspeed and altimeter.  For good reason.

Recently some members even managed to get approval for backups that are digital instruments - based on a safety case that they are no less reliable than conventional electric/vacuum gauges.  Obviously need battery backups and be wired on separate circuits.

The Dynon D2 looks ideal as a backup.  I have a Dynon D10A which acts as a full 6-pack augmenting the steam gauges.  Oddly l prefer the steam gauge display as they take less time to check (on account of the needle positions being stored as a 'picture' in one's head).  Dr Joyce may be able to expand on this in medical terms?

Regarding IFR, individual aircraft are being assessed in the UK for eligibility for night/IFR use.  I believe that Dynon displays may be considered acceptable even without TSO (???)

--------
John Wighton
Europa XS trigear G-IPOD

====================================
pa-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
====================================
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
====================================
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
====================================
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
====================================

davidjoyce(at)doctors.org
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Dynon rebooted twice in flight Reply with quote

John, Certainly in the UK a Garmin G5 is now considered adequate back up for an EFIS, with no requirement for steam age ASI& Altimeter. I have no medical view of relative value of steam age engine instruments vs a modern Engine Monitoring system, but I have strong non medical views on the value of an EMS monitoring itself, as opposed to you needing to do a FREDA every 15 mins. In practise I suspect that few actually manage to check their engine instruments as often as that, and something could go pear shaped in between times, whereas an EMS checks constantly and makes it obvious to you if anything has strayed from the norm. On top of that, as someone who has had the fortune to survive three direct head on encounters, as I was looking out and saw them in time, whereas the other pilot steamed straight ahead, apparently in the middle of a FREDA, I am keen to spend as little time as possible eyes down!
Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ

On 2018-01-15 12:19, John Wighton wrote:
[...]

ics.com
.com
.matronics.com/contribution

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Dynon rebooted twice in flight Reply with quote

FWIW, I wouldn't fly dynon IFR - lose pitot and you lose attitude too.
Cheers and blue skies,
Pete
A239

Quote:
On Jan 15, 2018, at 7:19 AM, John Wighton <john(at)wighton.net> wrote:

Wighton

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Dynon rebooted twice in flight Reply with quote

Keep in mind, common pitot, so duplicate potential attitude failure.
Not a bad idea to use a different vendor as a backup - different software bugs. One thing that grand rapids dos very well: it does not depend on gps or pitot for consistent and reliable attitude.
Cheers,
Pete

On Jan 15, 2018, at 8:29 AM, William Daniell <wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com (wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[...]

houlihan(at)blueyonder.co
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Dynon rebooted twice in flight Reply with quote

Hi .
Are you saying attitude info is lost if you loose pitot or static.
How does that work ?  I thought attitude can be guessed at using GPS , change of heading means banking into the turn, but what effect does pitot have on the attitude indication. In my mind no gyro's ( electronic or mechanical ) means no reliable attitude info.
Of course very clever electronics and software can do wonders !
Tim H
Quote:

On 15 January 2018 at 18:37 Pete <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com> wrote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: Pete <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com>

FWIW, I wouldn't fly dynon IFR - lose pitot and you lose attitude too.
Cheers and blue skies,
Pete
A239

wdaniell.longport(at)gmai
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Dynon rebooted twice in flight Reply with quote

Pete
very good point...hadn't thought of that.  I will look at GRT and some of the portable options Leveil + naviator is one that catches my eye.
flying completely VFR all the time here is hard so everyone cheats a little from time to time (except me of course)
Will
William Daniell

LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Dynon rebooted twice in flight Reply with quote

As one of Levil's initial customers with their ahrsg-mini (still working in my hummel), i like their product, but really like http://www.talosavionics.com/ better from an ahrs and display software perspective.
For those already with a GRT engine monitor, their solid little mini is the obvious choice....a reall great pice of kit.
Imho of course Smile
Cheers,
Pete

On Jan 15, 2018, at 2:58 PM, William Daniell <wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com (wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[...]

budyerly(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Dynon rebooted twice in flight Reply with quote

v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} <![endif]-->
Will,
I installed my first Dynon some 10 years ago and stayed away from the Skyview until they got the bugs out. Early Skyviews at the air shows were so hot you couldnt keep your hand on the back of it (over 120 for me) and the D180 LED front plate got very hot also. They were also like the early Blue Mountain: If you push the buttons fast and often, it will hang up just when you need it most. Software glitches also abound in all these computers. Good news is all the manufacturers allow you to download your error file and send it to the factory tech reps. Typically some sort of RMA or patch has to be made as one piece of equipment talking to the PFD will cause an error forcing the PFD to hang up. Best advise until you get everything sorted out: Fly in VFR and REBOOT! I still fly with a Blue Mountain Gen 4. I have backup round dials, mag compass and a handheld. Im the department of redundant redundancy. The Gen 4 has never failed, but it is 8 years old now, so its life is limited as with all electronics.

We in the experimental community can install many variations of equipment. Certified cannot. If you have been following news, Dynon is getting certified for a number of aircraft, and equipment dos and donts are following.

Regarding Cooling of Avionics Only:

The D100, D180 and early Skyview have always had cooling issues. The only solution here in Florida was a cockpit air fan blown over the instrument which at the time had no air inlet as on a GRT. I worked on cooling flow until the inside the panel and internal temperature monitors installed in other equipment showed temps that were well within their limitations and an extra OAT put into the panel or use my remote thermocouple on my VTVM. My cockpit ventilation was always good so drawing outside air to the panel was not necessary.

The new Skyview CPU runs much cooler and has twin fans so here in Florida in many LSA aircraft, they are generally free of problems provided the panel does not exceed 120 F, and the fan inlets are clear with good heat exit out the top of the panel. Above 120 F in the panel, they seem to blank out or shut down. GRT has an internal temperature reading and I believe the Skyview has one also, as well as warning flags. The problem with the smaller Dynons (D10,100,180) is the screen goes blank but the unit can still be working, which is kind of dumb. No warning, they just used to shut down. That has been cleared up on the new Skyview...

Normally outside air is not required to be funneled into the panel, but if your Europa panel is tight, and there are other hot running instruments installed, you may find a cooling fan and the tubes to be a reasonable investment. You should also look at cooling exit from the panel as any air coming in has to get the hot air out.

There are many ways to do this, from simple 25-40 mm cooling fans normally used in a computer, to regular aircraft fan and tubing systems shown in Aircraft Spruce. Im used to panels where Im putting 5 pounds of crap in a three pound bag. As you can see in the example below, there is a three hole Ameriking fan sucking from the passenger side footwell, with tubes going to the Garmin 430, one horizontally to the Dynon FD 180, another going to an EXP electronic buss under the radios covered in a custom box. Note there are two fans in the top of the panel to exit the air out of the panel. This keeps the panel internal temperature on the bench to exactly the ambient room temp with everything running.

[img]cid:image003.jpg(at)01D38E25.609359C0[/img]

Best Regards and keep testing to get all the bugs out,
Bud Yerly

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

95F8CBBB7CA64351956AB0BF04BAED9F.jpg
 Filesize:  129.69 KB
 Viewed:  9768 Time(s)

95F8CBBB7CA64351956AB0BF04BAED9F.jpg

Back to top
budyerly(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Dynon rebooted twice in flight Reply with quote

Pete,
Wholeheartedly agree. Ive installed three of the iLevils and find them virtually bullet proof. I install their top end unit which has to be carefully aligned in the panel, but basically trouble free after that.

[...]

Roland

Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Location: EDLE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Dynon rebooted twice in flight Reply with quote

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com wrote:
FWIW, I wouldn't fly dynon IFR - lose pitot and you lose attitude too.
[/quote]

I don't think so. The Dynon manual says, that AI falls back on a (coupled) GPS - a Garmin Pilot 3 in my case, should static pitot fail.

Regards
Roland
PH-ZTI
XS TG 914

kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Dynon rebooted twice in flight Reply with quote

Not rebooting but . . . . .

I fly quite regularly with a friend who has a Dynon in his aircraft. I marvelled at the capability of the instrument until recently when just into the second 3.5 hr leg of a trip to fly the Morning Glory in the Gulf of Carpentaria.

While on climb to 8500 ft, we encountered a very sharp bump whereupon we observed that the AH was completely inverted. We were in VFR conditions so it presented no problem. After flying for some time, it happily remained inverted but was operating quite normally otherwise. It was only after we turned it off and on again that it decided to amend its errant ways. We cannot be absolutely sure the bump caused the problem but it was immediately after the bump that we noticed it.

This incident left a horrible taste in my mouth and I cannot help wondering what would have happened had we been in I.F. conditions. Even with two AH’s, it would be very confusing to have one reading normally while the other was completely inverted.

Just a hiccup I witnessed first hand.

Kingsley in Oz

wdaniell.longport(at)gmai
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Dynon rebooted twice in flight Reply with quote

Yes the dynon is amazing....but like all computers suffers from bugs.   I mean if Microsoft with billions of operating systems  out there still has major glitches what can we hope from a small volume company like dynon.

Soooo.....what I think  one needs, like bud says, is back ups and back ups for back ups.
The conclusion I have come to after listening to all is a separate battery powered flight system (levil I think but could me a mini grt) + a Garmin GPS with turn coordinator.
A handheld radio with headset adapter.
Round guages for key engine parameters like Rpm map oil temp and maybe fuel pressure amps/volts.
By the way....is there anyway to increase the range of  a handheld....ground plane or perhaps to plug an airplane antenna into it?
Once again it is always very useful to share.  Thanks
Will
On Jan 16, 2018 07:17, "Kingsley Hurst" <kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.au (kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.au)> wrote:
[...]

Burrilla

Joined: 25 Apr 2015

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Dynon rebooted twice in flight Reply with quote

The performance of a handheld will be improved if you use an airframe mounted antenna, with suitable ground plane of course, and you’ll find an improvement over the standard “rubber duck” antenna you get with most.

Alan

Sent from my iPad

On 16 Jan 2018, at 12:37, William Daniell <wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com (wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[...]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Dynon rebooted twice in flight Reply with quote

I have just remove a GRT Horizen, circa 2003-4.

It was showing its age and refused to boot onetime when I left aircraft in sunshine and console heated up so I suspect it was not happy with too much heat but never failed in flight.
It also refused to boot one cold damp winters day and was a lot happier after I took it home and left in the central heated house for a few days after which it behaved.
Power wise all the units combined seemed to have a current required of about 5 amps.
Replacing with a Kanadia HORIS and EFIS which overall need about 500ma and are lot lighter and don’t appear to get warm after extensive bench running.
[...]

johnwigney(at)windstream.
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Dynon rebooted twice in flight Reply with quote

To all,
I agree with Pete. I have used a Dynon D10A in my panel since 2003 and I have found it to be satisfactory after some some significant initial problems. However, as Pete mentions, Dynon has a strange algorithm to provide data to the horizon and if there is a problem with the pitot / static input or if there is an internal leak, the indication will be incorrect. (Been there done that - it is very strange to be flying straight and level VFR and the D10A horizon oscillates up and down or does a slow bank.)
If I was doing the panel again, I would use a Grand Rapids Mini-B, Mini-X or Mini-AP EFIS. http://grtavionics.com/home/efis-systems/mini-series-efis/ My experience is that Grand Rapids makes rock solid equipment.
Cheers, John
N262WF, mono XS, 912S, 1,000 hours
Quote:
Time: 10:39:32 AM PST US