Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Somewhere over the last 12 years I lost my stall strips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wdaniell.longport(at)gmai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Somewhere over the last 12 years I lost my stall strips Reply with quote

Dear List,

I have lost my stall strips over the last 12 years of building.  I seem to remember that the factory version was a five sided deal with about a 1/2 in base.

I see GA aircraft with just a 90 deg triangle on the Leading Edge.
Does the profile of the stall strip matter that much?
Thanks
Will

William Daniell

LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Somewhere over the last 12 years I lost my stall strips Reply with quote

Bud thanks
Can anyone tell me the Spruce definition of "glider tape"?  I am guessing that this is also used for sealing the tailplane pin holes.
Thanks
Will
William Daniell

LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 1:06 AM, Bud Yerly <budyerly(at)msn.com (budyerly(at)msn.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Will,
They are just an angle of about 3/8 inch.  See your Operators manual Page 9-5.  To my knowledge the material was never supplied by Europa.
Personally I use aluminum angle rather than fabricating a wood piece with a 90 degree face and concave back.  Simply put tape on the leading edge and then set the angle on the tape, tape over it in place and go fly.  If the angle is right, and it does what you want, carefully remove some of the tape, mark it and then transfer the marks to the wing and glue it on.  I use glider tape.  I’m lazy so I drill two holes right through the 90 degree angle when on the bench and tape it on to test.  Then when it is positioned properly, I drill into the wing through the holes in the end.  Pull the tape, use the holes to align, fill the back of the angle with flox and cleco or tape on the strip.  Fill sand prime paint.  You may want to angle the ends of the angle for less filling.

Fletner strips are 10 mm or 3/8 inch at the trailing edge when installed but the strips come as wood wedges about 25mm by 5 mm taped together, if that what you are thinking of rather than stall strips.

Regards,
Bud Yerly

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of William Daniell
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2017 1:13 PM
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com (europa-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Somewhere over the last 12 years I lost my stall strips

Dear List,

I have lost my stall strips over the last 12 years of building.  I seem to remember that the factory version was a five sided deal with about a 1/2 in base.

Thanks

Will

William Daniell

LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Somewhere over the last 12 years I lost my stall strips Reply with quote

Excellent thanks

On Feb 21, 2017 18:26, "Bud Yerly" <budyerly(at)msn.com (budyerly(at)msn.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Got to do the Google.

Bowlus is who I get it through.  See Cumulus Soaring or similar.  Spruce has clear gap seal tape.  3M makes a PVC tape others are vinyl or polyurethane.  I like the white two inch Bowlus tape.  This tape stretches and conforms better.  You can use packing tape, but the glue is nasty, and it doesn’t conform to curves well.

Bud Yerly

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of William Daniell
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 7:54 AM
Subject: Re: Somewhere over the last 12 years I lost my stall strips

Bud thanks

Can anyone tell me the Spruce definition of "glider tape"?  I am guessing that this is also used for sealing the tailplane pin holes.

Thanks

Will

William Daniell

LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 1:06 AM, Bud Yerly <budyerly(at)msn.com (budyerly(at)msn.com)> wrote:
Will,
They are just an angle of about 3/8 inch.  See your Operators manual Page 9-5.  To my knowledge the material was never supplied by Europa.
Personally I use aluminum angle rather than fabricating a wood piece with a 90 degree face and concave back.  Simply put tape on the leading edge and then set the angle on the tape, tape over it in place and go fly.  If the angle is right, and it does what you want, carefully remove some of the tape, mark it and then transfer the marks to the wing and glue it on.  I use glider tape.  I’m lazy so I drill two holes right through the 90 degree angle when on the bench and tape it on to test.  Then when it is positioned properly, I drill into the wing through the holes in the end.  Pull the tape, use the holes to align, fill the back of the angle with flox and cleco or tape on the strip.  Fill sand prime paint.  You may want to angle the ends of the angle for less filling.

Fletner strips are 10 mm or 3/8 inch at the trailing edge when installed but the strips come as wood wedges about 25mm by 5 mm taped together, if that what you are thinking of rather than stall strips.

Regards,
Bud Yerly

Sent: Monday, February 20, 2017 1:13 PM
Subject: Somewhere over the last 12 years I lost my stall strips

Dear List,

Thanks

Will

William Daniell

LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: