Student pilot solo to Oshkosh 2006

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
Roger Circle

Location: Lafayette, IN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Student pilot solo to Oshkosh 2006 Reply with quote

Lynn,

Quite a few years have passed, but I still vividly remember the experience.
In 1991 I was a student pilot, and my instructor signed me off to make my
long cross-country from Lafayette, Indiana to the EAA convention at Oshkosh.
I was nearly ready for my check ride at the time. My instructor was
confident I could handle the trip in my Kitfox II.

I had to arrive before the convention NOTAMS kicked in, and couldn't leave
for home until the fly-in was over. By doing so, I avoided the high-traffic
days.

I loved every moment of it... the flying, displaying the Kitfox, meeting
lots of great people, establishing friendships that continue today. David
Gustafson chronicled my experience in an article that appeared in the April,
1992 issue of Sport Aviation.

If your instructor will sign you off for the trip, go for it! You'll create
memories that will last a lifetime.

Best wishes,
Roger Circle
Lafayette, IN
Kitfox II, N627C (still going strong)

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Lynn Matteson

Location: Grass Lake, Michigan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Student pilot solo to Oshkosh 2006 Reply with quote

Thanks, Roger....the thought of driving my motorhome up there while a
perfectly good plane sits at home is killing me. : ) I keep thinking
of how I could have had my ticket by now if I'd only:
got my engine delivered when the dealer said it would be

got the inspector to come when he was first supposed to

had better weather here in Michigan, earlier in the Spring

had taildragger instructors closer by, and more available

taken fewer beer breaks during construction....strike that last
one...let's be REASONABLE!

and on, and on....

Lynn
do not archive
On Tuesday, July 11, 2006, at 11:13 AM, Roger Circle wrote:

[...]

_________________
Lynn
Kitfox IV-Jabiru 2200
N369LM
dave(at)cfisher.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Student pilot solo to Oshkosh 2006 Reply with quote

Lynn,

I understand that you are a newer pilot ? less than 30 hours TT ?
I would not advise flying Oshkosh or any long x country until you are more
proficient.
This time of year wx can change rapidly as well.

Just my opinion from flying for over 25 yrs and still alive.

Dave

---

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Back to top
Lynn Matteson

Location: Grass Lake, Michigan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Student pilot solo to Oshkosh 2006 Reply with quote

About 28 hrs solo in the 'fox, and about 108 hrs total dual so far.

Weather? You mean like when I took off this morning, got 400 feet up
and things went to hell....low clouds....circled the field to gain my
composure, then made a very short downwind, base, and final 20 mph too
fast, then set it down just like I knew what I was doing. Scared the
crap out of me, and taught me a lesson...call the FSS!

Lynn

On Tuesday, July 11, 2006, at 01:18 PM, Dave wrote:

[quote]

Lynn,

I understand that you are a newer pilot ? less than 30 hours TT ?
I would not advise flying Oshkosh or any long x country until you are
more proficient.
This time of year wx can change rapidly as well.

Just my opinion from flying for over 25 yrs and still alive.

Dave

---

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

_________________
Lynn
Kitfox IV-Jabiru 2200
N369LM
darinh

Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Location: Utah

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Student pilot solo to Oshkosh 2006 Reply with quote

Lynn Matteson wrote:
About 28 hrs solo in the 'fox, and about 108 hrs total dual so far.

Weather? You mean like when I took off this morning, got 400 feet up
and things went to hell....low clouds....circled the field to gain my
composure, then made a very short downwind, base, and final 20 mph too
fast, then set it down just like I knew what I was doing. Scared the
crap out of me, and taught me a lesson...call the FSS!

Lynn

Lynn,

Wow, you should have two tickets with those kind of hours!! Why haven't you taken your checkride? Just curious...

Darin

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Lynn Matteson

Location: Grass Lake, Michigan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Student pilot solo to Oshkosh 2006 Reply with quote

Darin-

I started out learning in the fall of '04 (the 20-one, not the
19-one....I'm old but not that old..: ) ), got 21 hrs under my belt in
Cessna 172's, then stopped lessons due to wanting to work on my
plane...that, and winter was coming on. Nine months later, I took a 2
hour lesson in a 180 taildragger, then no flights for another month,
then took 14 hours in a Sportstar (LSA) at St. Charles (MO) Flight
Center over a week's time. This was an "accelerated Sport Pilot
school". While there, I took, and passed (with an 85%) the Sport Pilot
FAA written exam. Since October of 2005, until just this past February
(4 1/2 months later) no more lessons. In Feb. I started up again, in
172's again, and got another 18 or so hours, then some time in a J-4
taildragger...enough to get the t'dragger endorsement....then in May
started to get lessons in my Kitfox, and was soloed about 18 hours
later....WHEW! Oh, almost forgot...I got another 2.5 hrs in a Citabria
during the t'dragger endorsement.

So you can see, I've really scattered my education all over the
calendar, and the map, and in various planes along the way.

Just for an example of what I've endured over the last 2 years as far
as flight schools are concerned, one of them was a local Community
College, who was known to be struggling to keep the flight school doors
open. Well, I helped keep that place going while they kept me at a slow
pace, doing only 3-tenths to 9-tenths of an hour at a time, twice a
week. Until I got into the program this past Feb., where I got from 1.2
to 1.5 hours at a time, twice a week, things went rather slowly. As
soon as I got the 'fox done, and the hours flown off by three pilots, I
began getting taught in it, and 6 weeks later I'm flying solo. My
instructor is an airline pilot with American Airlines, so he is gone
for several days at a time, thus time with him is limited.

Maybe I'm a slow learner, and at 69 years of age, I'll take that
assessment, but spreading things out the way I did makes for a lot of
rust between lessons. Now that I can fly nearly every day, it is all
coming together for me, and my instructor says I'll be able to take the
checkride within the next month. He has said right along that when he
releases me to take the checkride, there is no doubt that I will have
no problem with that. This guy is intense, takes nothing short of
perfection during all phases of flight, and is a real pain in the ass
sometimes, but I have found no other instructor that keeps after me the
way he does...the others have taken my dollars, and kept their eyes on
the clock..."ok, let's pick it up here next time".....this guy is not
charging me (except that I will owe him a lot of work on his
soon-to-be-started hangar), and says that he feels "a certain
obligation to helping guys like me who do a nice job on their planes,
and I don't want to see them wad them up in a ball". I feel that if
there were more instructors like him, we'd have a lot better batch of
pilots out there.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but the high number of hours that I've
accumulated really needed to be explained...thanks for letting me
review...it's helped me to understand why it's taken so long to solo.

Lynn
Kitfox IV...Jabiru 2200
On Tuesday, July 11, 2006, at 07:11 PM, darinh wrote:

Quote:

Lynn Matteson wrote:
> About 28 hrs solo in the 'fox, and about 108 hrs total dual so far.
>
> Weather? You mean like when I took off this morning, got 400 feet up
> and things went to hell....low clouds....circled the field to gain my
> composure, then made a very short downwind, base, and final 20 mph too
> fast, then set it down just like I knew what I was doing. Scared the
> crap out of me, and taught me a lesson...call the FSS!
>
> Lynn
Lynn,

Wow, you should have two tickets with those kind of hours!! Why
haven't you taken your checkride? Just curious...

Darin

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

_________________
Lynn
Kitfox IV-Jabiru 2200
N369LM
Lynn Matteson

Location: Grass Lake, Michigan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Student pilot solo to Oshkosh 2006 Reply with quote

Darin...and others who might be interested....

One kinda major item that I forgot to mention in my earlier posting, is
the fact that I had a 5-way heart bypass done in 2000, and, based on a
friend's history with similar surgery, and his long struggle to get his
private pilot ticket reinstated, I was determined NOT to try to get the
FAA medical. Because of this, the flight training centers that I've
used have told me that their insurance companies would not let me solo
their planes, even if I was ready for solo. In the case of the local
Community College flight center, those bastards kept me buying flight
time, neglecting to tell me that I was NEVER going to be able to solo
their planes. In my annual visit to my heart doc, I asked him what the
FAA treadmill test consisted of, and he told me a 9-minute run on the
mill....(the FAA tests are done at his office)....I inquired what I had
done on his test back in 2002, and he replied... "Nine minutes, 20
seconds" This tempted me to want to take the FAA medical exam, but
I'm no fool, I am NOT going to submit myself to taking a test when all
I want at this stage of my life is to be able to fly the Kitfox under
the Sport Pilot Certificate, and I have no desire to advance any
further...well, maybe floats, but that's another story.
Lynn
Kitfox IV...Jabiru 2200

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

_________________
Lynn
Kitfox IV-Jabiru 2200
N369LM
ArmstrongJackson
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Student pilot solo to Oshkosh 2006 Reply with quote

If you want to become a pilot then I would suggest you to check the new offer by the diploma center review. It would allow you to master everything required in no time.

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours