Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strobe Grounding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike(at)vision499.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Strobe Grounding Reply with quote

I have installed a Whelen HDACF Power Supply in my composite aircraft
and the instructions make no mention of grounding the shield in the
cables to the strobes.

Should I ground the shield and if yes should it be one or both ends.

Thanks

Mike

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:01 am    Post subject: Strobe Grounding Reply with quote

Mike,

The instructions for the AeroLEDS Pulsar show the shield connected to local ground at both ends.
    -- Art Z.

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 10:48 PM, <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)

I have installed a Whelen HDACF Power Supply in my composite aircraft and the instructions make no mention of grounding the shield in the cables to the strobes.

Thanks

Mike

--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/"If I am not for myself, who is for me? And if I am only for myself, what am I? And if not now, when?" Hillel

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

whd721

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Strobe Grounding Reply with quote

This should be the subject of a discussion hopefully with input from Aeroleds.
I installed Aeroleds Pulsars. I had major loud static noise during the first flights.

In phone discussions with Aeroleds, I was instructed to disconnect the outboard shield grounds and insulate that end shield from any structure near the Aeroleds light. This greatly reduced my static noise.

I still have a low level Aeroleds strobe sound ( But not at a level objectionable to me), but, I still have a significant static noise ( primarily on the ground during taxiing) but still occasionally in the air. This winter I intend to try and trace all the Aeroleds wiring and find an intermittent ground location or connection

The Aeroleds schematic shows grounding the shield at both ends ( in my interpretation). I can only offer, be very careful in the Aeroleds wiring and grounding. You will not enjoy Aeroleds static noise!

I would suggest Aeroleds should provide some additional guidance for their product as the installation schematic is not clear.

I do like the Aeroleds products and hope this gets some clarification.

Quote:
On Sep 30, 2016, at 4:54 AM, Art Zemon <art(at)zemon.name (art(at)zemon.name)> wrote:
Mike,
The instructions for the AeroLEDS Pulsar show the shield connected to local ground at both ends.

-- Art Z. On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 10:48 PM, <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com) I have installed a Whelen HDACF Power Supply in my composite aircraft and the instructions make no mention of grounding the shield in the cables to the strobes. Should I ground the shield and if yes should it be one or both ends. Thanks Mike

-- https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/ "If I am not for myself, who is for me? And if I am only for myself, what am I? And if not now, when?" Hillel

edpav8r(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Strobe Grounding Reply with quote

Mike,

See "Interconnecting Cable" and Fig 3, on page 2 of this document:

http://www.whelen.com/install/136/13603.pdf

Eric
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2016, at 8:48 PM, mike(at)vision499.com wrote:
I have installed a Whelen HDACF Power Supply in my composite aircraft and the instructions make no mention of grounding the shield in the cables to the strobes.

Thanks

Mike

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Strobe Grounding Reply with quote

Quote:

I installed Aeroleds Pulsars. I had major loud static noise during the first flights.

The word 'static' conjures up a mental
picture of radio noise on an AM radio
tuned off-station with thunder storms
in the area. Or perhaps the noise heard
near a high voltage transmission line where
one or more insulators are failing. "Static"
normally describes random, short duration
impulses . . . no regularity reminiscent
of a tone or musical note.

Can you be a bit more descriptive? Also,
did you conduct any investigative
operations to determine whether the noise
was coming in through antenna, power supply
or system signal leads (See chapter 16
in the 'Connection'.

Quote:
In phone discussions with Aeroleds, I was instructed to disconnect the outboard shield grounds and insulate that end shield from any structure near the Aeroleds light. This greatly reduced my static noise.

This is a disturbing revelation. The AEROLED
website speaks to STC and TSO qualification
of products. These assertions argue with any
narrative suggesting that treatment of shields
had a profound effect on an objectionable
emission of noise.

Quote:
I still have a low level Aeroleds strobe sound ( But not at a level objectionable to me), but, I still have a significant static noise ( primarily on the ground during taxiing) but still occasionally in the air. This winter I intend to try and trace all the Aeroleds wiring and find an intermittent ground location or connection

Please go through the diagnostic exercises
described in the 'Connection. Also, it would
be VERY helpful if you could post a .wav or
.mp3 recording of the sounds you hear.

The qualification processes for dozens of
products and systems I've shepherded through
DO-160/MIL-STD-461 qualification would not
have allowed a program to move forward with
EMC deficiencies that you've described.

Quote:
The Aeroleds schematic shows grounding the shield at both ends ( in my interpretation). I can only offer, be very careful in the Aeroleds wiring and grounding. You will not enjoy Aeroleds static noise!

I would suggest Aeroleds should provide some additional guidance for their product as the installation schematic is not clear.

I do like the Aeroleds products and hope this gets some clarification.

Precisely. Shielding of wires is intended
to break ELECTROSTATIC coupling between a
potentially antagonistic signal (high voltage,
fast rise) and a potential victim wire
carrying low level data. The de-coupling process
is guaranteed only to ward off exchange of
unfriendly energy between conductors in
adjacent wire bundles.

Any time the existence or treatment of shields
has an effect on RADIATED noise (stuff that
comes in through the antennas), there is a
SERIOUS problem with that product's design
and qualification. I think it unlikely that
you have any small-signal data or audio lines
bundled with shielded wires in the strobe system;
hence this thread suggests value in a more
detailed investigation.

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: