Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rough running 912 UL
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FoesFlyDennis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Rough running 912 UL Reply with quote

Thanks Hugh for letting us know what it was. I have learned a lot while
following your thread, especially now that the problem is solved.

On Sep 10, 2016 2:15 PM, "Hugh McKay" <hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net> wrote:

[quote] Gentlemen (bjones,jelling Catz631 h&amp, Jeff Wemmelring, Bick Girard,
John Hauck, Lowell Fitt, Dee LeBlanc, GHeal, et al)

Well I found what was causing my rough running engine!! I am some what
embarrassed, but it demonstrates how careful one must be when doing
anything to a Rotax 912 series engine. All this started when I began to
hear excessive engine noise in my head sets when transmitting on my radio

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List

rickofudall

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Rough running 912 UL Reply with quote

Hugh, Wow! That's great. Always happy to learn of a successful repair,
especially one where the price is so right. Now go out there and do some
flying.

Blue skies,
Rick

On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 4:06 PM, Hugh McKay <hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net> wrote:

[quote] Gentlemen (bjones,jelling Catz631 h&amp, Jeff Wemmelring, Bick Girard,

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dashwoodlock(at)yahoo.ca

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Rough running 912 UL Reply with quote

i had a seriouse failure one day. after a short flight i landed. shut down for a couple minutes then took off again for 45min flight. this time engine would not shut down. i was too clos to obsticals so was stuck at idlel till ground personel could spin me around. i had shut off fuel but at idle she was still running 10 minutes in. turned out i had lost one od the screws that holds aft end of modules on top of engine. so modules were not grounding proper. replaced missing fastener and was all good.
To: <rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com>;
Subject: Re: Rough running 912 UL
Sent: Sat, Sep 10, 2016 11:09:35 PM

Hugh, Wow! That's great. Always happy to learn of a successful repair, especially one where the price is so right. Now go out there and do some flying.
Blue skies,
Rick

On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 4:06 PM, Hugh McKay <[url=javascript:return]hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net[/url]> wrote:
Quote:
Gentlemen (bjones,jelling Catz631 h&amp, Jeff Wemmelring, Bick Girard, John Hauck, Lowell Fitt, Dee LeBlanc, GHeal, et al)

Well I found what was causing my rough running engine!! I am some what embarrassed, but it demonstrates how careful one must be when doing anything to a Rotax 912 series engine. All this started when I began to hear excessive engine noise in my head sets when transmitting on my radio. Well, if you read my earlier questions regarding the engine noise you will recall that I was advised (good advice)to first check all the grounds. This I did and found no bad grounds. In the course of checking the grounds there are two grounding points on the right side of the ignition modules where two screws screw down into the engine. One of these ground points has two ground wires attached to it. The other has three ground wires attached. I removed these grounds, cleaned them and reattached them to their proper screw location; or I thought I had. Well, after looking carefully at the top of the engine at these two ground points and feeling all of the wires in that area I found two loose black wires with a common ring terminal tucked under the intake manifold on that side of the engine. Well what a surprise!! Then I began to think, how can that be?? Then I noticed that these two wires with the common ring terminal exactly fit one of the two ground points I have just described. I then realized that I had pushed the end of this double ground wire with the common ring terminal under the manifold to get better access to clean the ground point. What I did not remember when it came time to reattach all the wires was that I had tucked this ground wire out of sight. I reattached all the “visible” ground wires forgetting I had tucked one out of sight. 

Lesson learned! Make sure you know how many wires you have disconnected, and reconnect the “same” number.  Anyway, I am back flying and the engine is running fine. Flew down to the big Triple Tree Fly-In just below Woodruff, SC today with out a problem except the noise in my radio which is another story. Many thanks for all of your suggestions. I value them and your willingness to share.

Regards,
Hugh G. McKay III, P.E. Fellow, L.M. ASCESenior ConsultantWorldwide Engineering Inc.4090 North NC Hwy. 16Denver, NC 28037Ph. [url=javascript:return]hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net[/url]http://www.wwegeo.com

Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2016 6:05 PM
To: [url=javascript:return]rotaxengines-list(at)matronics. com[/url]
Subject: RE: Rough running 912 UL

Might be a good time to replace the connectors.  Those have been rapid wear parts on my three 912s.  They can be bought from Sparkplugs.com by getting the part number off of a connector.  Price is a quarter what Rotax wants for them.

john h
mkIII
Burns Junction, Oregon

From: owner-rotaxengines- list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Richard GirardSent: Thursday, September 08, 2016 3:25 PMTo: [url=javascript:return]rotaxengines-list(at)matronics. com[/url]Subject: Re: RotaxEngines-List: Rough running 912 UL

Hugh, Old mechanics proverb, "90% of carburetor problems are solved in the ignition system". That being said, have you checked the resistance of your spark plug wires? Since you'll have to re-seat the wires anyway, take the time to trim each end about 1/4" so that the screw connector has a chance to seat into fresh, un-corroded wire. Also check the screws themselves for signs of corrosion. Unless the wires are too short afterward this check won't cost you anything but your time. Almost all the information you need is available in the Heavy Maintenance Manual section 74-00-00.

Rick

-- “Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light.”   Groucho Marx

vernon11

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:39 am    Post subject: Rough running 912 UL Reply with quote

Fantastic you found the problem Hugh. When I do work like that, I always take a picture. It has helped many times.
Regards,
Vernon.

Sent: Saturday, September 10, 2016 11:06 PM
To: rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com (rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com)

Gentlemen (bjones,jelling Catz631 h&amp, Jeff Wemmelring, Bick Girard, John Hauck, Lowell Fitt, Dee LeBlanc, GHeal, et al)

Well I found what was causing my rough running engine!! I am some what embarrassed, but it demonstrates how careful one must be when doing anything to a Rotax 912 series engine. All this started when I began to hear excessive engine noise in my head sets when transmitting on my radio. Well, if you read my earlier questions regarding the engine noise you will recall that I was advised (good advice)to first check all the grounds. This I did and found no bad grounds. In the course of checking the grounds there are two grounding points on the right side of the ignition modules where two screws screw down into the engine. One of these ground points has two ground wires attached to it. The other has three ground wires attached. I removed these grounds, cleaned them and reattached them to their proper screw location; or I thought I had. Well, after looking carefully at the top of the engine at these two ground points and feeling all of the wires in that area I found two loose black wires with a common ring terminal tucked under the intake manifold on that side of the engine. Well what a surprise!! Then I began to think, how can that be?? Then I noticed that these two wires with the common ring terminal exactly fit one of the two ground points I have just described. I then realized that I had pushed the end of this double ground wire with the common ring terminal under the manifold to get better access to clean the ground point. What I did not remember when it came time to reattach all the wires was that I had tucked this ground wire out of sight. I reattached all the visible ground wires forgetting I had tucked one out of sight.

Lesson learned! Make sure you know how many wires you have disconnected, and reconnect the same number. Anyway, I am back flying and the engine is running fine. Flew down to the big Triple Tree Fly-In just below Woodruff, SC today with out a problem except the noise in my radio which is another story. Many thanks for all of your suggestions. I value them and your willingness to share.

Regards,
Hugh G. McKay III, P.E. Fellow, L.M. ASCE
Senior Consultant
Worldwide Engineering Inc.
4090 North NC Hwy. 16
Denver, NC 28037

Ph. 704-661-8271
Fax 704-483-5466
email hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net
http://www.wwegeo.com

Might be a good time to replace the connectors. Those have been rapid wear parts on my three 912s. They can be bought from Sparkplugs.com by getting the part number off of a connector. Price is a quarter what Rotax wants for them.

john h
mkIII
Burns Junction, Oregon

From: owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Richard Girard
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2016 3:25 PM
To: rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com

Hugh, Old mechanics proverb, "90% of carburetor problems are solved in the ignition system". That being said, have you checked the resistance of your spark plug wires? Since you'll have to re-seat the wires anyway, take the time to trim each end about 1/4" so that the screw connector has a chance to seat into fresh, un-corroded wire. Also check the screws themselves for signs of corrosion. Unless the wires are too short afterward this check won't cost you anything but your time. Almost all the information you need is available in the Heavy Maintenance Manual section 74-00-00.

Rick

Dick Maddux

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Rough running 912 UL Reply with quote

Dashwoodlock,
I too had a similar problem. I pulled up to the airport ,people came out to look at my plane and the engine wouldn't shut down with the"mag" switch so I waved taxied out ,took off and flew back to my grass strip . I shut the fuel off and like you it took forever for the engine to quit. In my case it turned out that the "p" lead wire had pulled loose from the connector at the module.
Stuff always happens !
Dick Maddux
912 UL

PS: Hugh ,thank you for your story as it will be filled in the "what to look for" part of my brain(the little that is left !)

rascaljohn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Rough running 912 UL Reply with quote

Hello, I have watching the conversation about the rough running 912 and noticed that a "Lowell Fitt" was listed as part of the contributors. My name is John Fitt- wondering if we are related, as our name is not that common. We live in northern calif., relations originally from Canada. Just wondering...
John Fitt

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 10, 2016, at 2:06 PM, Hugh McKay <hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net (hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Well I found what was causing my rough running engine!! I am some what embarrassed, but it demonstrates how careful one must be when doing anything to a Rotax 912 series engine. All this started when I began to hear excessive engine noise in my head sets when transmitting on my radio. Well, if you read my earlier questions regarding the engine noise you will recall that I was advised (good advice)to first check all the grounds. This I did and found no bad grounds. In the course of checking the grounds there are two grounding points on the right side of the ignition modules where two screws screw down into the engine. One of these ground points has two ground wires attached to it. The other has three ground wires attached. I removed these grounds, cleaned them and reattached them to their proper screw location; or I thought I had. Well, after looking carefully at the top of the engine at these two ground points and feeling all of the wires in that area I found two loose black wires with a common ring terminal tucked under the intake manifold on that side of the engine. Well what a surprise!! Then I began to think, how can that be?? Then I noticed that these two wires with the common ring terminal exactly fit one of the two ground points I have just described. I then realized that I had pushed the end of this double ground wire with the common ring terminal under the manifold to get better access to clean the ground point. What I did not remember when it came time to reattach all the wires was that I had tucked this ground wire out of sight. I reattached all the “visible” ground wires forgetting I had tucked one out of sight.

Lesson learned! Make sure you know how many wires you have disconnected, and reconnect the “same” number. Anyway, I am back flying and the engine is running fine. Flew down to the big Triple Tree Fly-In just below Woodruff, SC today with out a problem except the noise in my radio which is another story. Many thanks for all of your suggestions. I value them and your willingness to share.

Regards,
Hugh G. McKay III, P.E. Fellow, L.M. ASCE
Senior Consultant
Worldwide Engineering Inc.
4090 North NC Hwy. 16
Denver, NC 28037

Ph. 704-661-8271
Fax 704-483-5466
email hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net (hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net)
http://www.wwegeo.com

Might be a good time to replace the connectors. Those have been rapid wear parts on my three 912s. They can be bought from Sparkplugs.com by getting the part number off of a connector. Price is a quarter what Rotax wants for them.

john h
mkIII
Burns Junction, Oregon

From: owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Richard Girard
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2016 3:25 PM
Subject: Re: RotaxEngines-List: Rough running 912 UL

Rick

lcfitt3(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Rough running 912 UL Reply with quote

Private email sent

On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 11:03 AM, jpfitt <jpfitt(at)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

[quote] Hello, I have watching the conversation about the rough running 912 and
noticed that a "Lowell Fitt" was listed as part of the contributors. My
name is John Fitt- wondering if we are related, as our name is not that
common. We live in northern calif., relations originally from Canada. Just
wondering...

John Fitt
Sent from my iPad

On Sep 10, 2016, at 2:06 PM, Hugh McKay <hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net> wrote:

Gentlemen (bjones,jelling Catz631 h&amp, Jeff Wemmelring, Bick Girard,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: