Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Max. Oil Consumption

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Engines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klwerner(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Max. Oil Consumption Reply with quote

Fellow Lister,

Does anyone know how excessive an engines oil consumption can become, before one should take it apart for an overhaul?

What does Lycoming recommend in regard to max allowed oil consumption?

Thanks, Konrad
Do Not Archive

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
archie97(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Max. Oil Consumption Reply with quote

Lycoming has a formula, which I have not memorized, but can post it to-morrow.
It varies with each engine, but the amount allowable is so liberal, it is frightening.
Archie
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Max. Oil Consumption Reply with quote

Just found a copy here in my office.
.006 X BHP X 4 / 7.4 = qt. per hr.
[quote] ---

Hopperdhh(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Max. Oil Consumption Reply with quote

Archie,

Just curious -- why wouldn't it just be simplified to:

.00324xBHP=consumption in qt. per hr.

Is 4 the number of cylinders?  What do the terms stand for?

??

Dan Hopper
RV-7A

In a message dated 7/1/2006 10:43:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, archie97(at)earthlink.net writes:
[quote] Just found a copy here in my office.
.006 X BHP X 4 / 7.4 = qt. per hr.
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Max. Oil Consumption Reply with quote

Did not take the time to analyze the formula. Just as given by Lycoming.
To the best of my knowledge, this applies to all their piston engines,
therefore the 4 would not fit.
As far as I am concerned, one quart between oil changes is enough, but
have been there before, and have told people how it is done.
(albeit against manufacturer and FAA edicts)
Nuff said.
Archie

[quote] ---

jrccea(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Max. Oil Consumption Reply with quote

One would expect the number of cylinders to factor into the oil consumption.  I'd be surprised if it doesn't.
JimC
[quote] ---

jrccea(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Max. Oil Consumption Reply with quote

The equation is given in Lycoming Service Instruction 1427B.
Here's a URL.
http://www.lycoming.textron.com/main.jsp?bodyPage=/support/publications/keyReprints/maintenance/reciprocatingEngine.html
[quote] ---

glcasey(at)adelphia.net

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Max. Oil Consumption Reply with quote

I once saw in similar equation published by Continental.  Yes, indeed, they could have made it much simpler, but I'm pretty sure all the extra numbers just convert pounds to quarts.  4 quarts per gallon and the density is about 7.4 pounds per gallon.  And everyone (including me) must have stopped at OSH and asked them the same question about oil level.  I was told that the top quart or two were there mostly for long ferry flights where any increased oil consumption during the flight would give maximum capability of arriving.  Don't know, but in a flight behind my IO-360 I burned 2 qts. in an hour's flight.  If the flight were much longer I would have needed all 8.  The reason it seems to blow out the first quart or two is (supposedly) that during initial climbout the oil level is higher at the back and gets into the gearcase, where it is slung up to the top of the engine.   And as some have mentioned, a sudden change in consumption is almost more important than the consumption rate itself since in aviation it seems that any unexpected change is a bad change.
I'm trying to figure out my newly-overhauled high-compression IO-540, which started off not burning too much oil (good sign I thought).  But now with about 15 hours on the engine I'm getting what seems to be ever increasing blowby.  Now the oil drops on the gear leg are real drops, not just oil dark spots.  Broken ring?
Quote:

Just curious -- why wouldn't it just be simplified to:

.00324xBHP=consumption in qt. per hr.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Max. Oil Consumption Reply with quote

Not likely, Gary, but possible.
Usually a blowby problem. With antiquated iron ring designs, and very liberal end gaps,
this is to be expected. Keep in mind, that as the rings wear in, the gaps also increase,
accentuating the blowby.  The "perfect" engine has none.
We have no break in on race engines as such. No time for that when racing so we use
the latest technologies in piston rings.
A leakdown of more than 2-3% indicates hp loss and mandates investigation.
[quote] ---

Rhonda(at)bpaengines.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Max. Oil Consumption Reply with quote

Gary:

Blowby as described by Archie below, typically occurs when the cylinders become glazed.  This is often caused by allowing the engine to get too hot (usually a long run up on the ground.)  If this is the case, you should be able to have the cylinders cleaned up by your engine shop or a good cylinder o’h shop.

[i]Rhonda[/i]

From: owner-engines-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-engines-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Archie
Sent: Monday, July 03, 2006 8:54 AM
To: engines-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Max. Oil Consumption

Usually a blowby problem. With antiquated iron ring designs, and very liberal end gaps,

this is to be expected. Keep in mind, that as the rings wear in, the gaps also increase,

We have no break in on race engines as such. No time for that when racing so we use

[quote]
---

jtrampota(at)eci2fly.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Max. Oil Consumption Reply with quote

One of the visual signs that you have blowby is the rapid darkening of the oil color after you have changed the oil...  Blowby/glazing simply lets the combustion past the rings/cylinder born directly into the case ,,, hence black/discolored oil..

JT

From: owner-engines-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-engines-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Rhonda Bewley
Sent: Monday, July 03, 2006 9:06 AM
Subject: RE: Max. Oil Consumption

Gary:

Blowby as described by Archie below, typically occurs when the cylinders become glazed.  This is often caused by allowing the engine to get too hot (usually a long run up on the ground.)  If this is the case, you should be able to have the cylinders cleaned up by your engine shop or a good cylinder o’h shop.

[i]Rhonda[/i]

From: owner-engines-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-engines-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Archie
Subject: Re: Max. Oil Consumption

[quote]
---

s_korney(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Max. Oil Consumption Reply with quote

How many hours after an oil change would you say the oil would start to turn
dark on a good engine...

Best... Steve

----Original Message Follows----
Reply-To: engines-list(at)matronics.com

One of the visual signs that you have blowby is the rapid darkening of
the oil color after you have changed the oil... Blowby/glazing simply
lets the combustion past the rings/cylinder born directly into the case
,,, hence black/discolored oil..

JT

[mailto:owner-engines-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Rhonda
Bewley
Sent: Monday, July 03, 2006 9:06 AM

Gary:

Blowby as described by Archie below, typically occurs when the cylinders
become glazed. This is often caused by allowing the engine to get too
hot (usually a long run up on the ground.) If this is the case, you
should be able to have the cylinders cleaned up by your engine shop or a
good cylinder o'h shop.

Rhonda

[mailto:owner-engines-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Archie

Usually a blowby problem. With antiquated iron ring designs, and very
liberal end gaps,

this is to be expected. Keep in mind, that as the rings wear in, the
gaps also increase,

accentuating the blowby. The "perfect" engine has none.

We have no break in on race engines as such. No time for that when
racing so we use

A leakdown of more than 2-3% indicates hp loss and mandates
investigation.

---

jtrampota(at)eci2fly.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Max. Oil Consumption Reply with quote

Depending on the severity anywhere within the 1st 5 hours

JT

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Engines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: