Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fiberglass Wing Tips, don't be afraid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdelano(at)telus.net

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Fiberglass Wing Tips, don't be afraid Reply with quote

Hi guys and girls,

Beyond the fact that they don’t fit very well, are there any gotcha’s with installing the wing tips, e.g because they don’t fit so well getting them close seems like all that can be done. What about adding glass fibre to get something to put a rivet into near the leading edge where I don’t seem to shove it in any tighter and still keep the upper and lower edges near the trailing edge of the nose skin looking good. will minor deviations in positioning the wing tip affect flying performance or safety. I have tried searching the matronics archives but not found anything substantive to go on. Zenith does not show trimming the FRP piece, it just magically appears on the wing tip in the builders manual. Has zenith published anything to help with their installation?

Regards,

Perry
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
dougsnash

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Fiberglass Wing Tips, don't be afraid Reply with quote

Perry, the fiberglass tips on the 701 are at best a pain in the backside.
First trick is to realize the top rear point does not line up with the spar tip but ends up 10-15 mm behind the spar (if I recall). This sets the correct rotation angle on the tip.  Secondly, a little heat from a heat gun will make the tip pliable enough to tweak it into place. I had to pinch the angle at the top point a bit to get my tips to fit over the spar tip.
I'm not sure if it will help with a 701 but when we were doing Leo's 750 we found the fiberglass tip fit much better if we allowed the minimum edge distance on the tip flanges as opposed to trying to fit the tip tight against the spar tip (as in let the fiberglass stick out of the end of the wing an extra 5mm or so)). Be carful not to try to close any gaps between the skin and fiberglass tip with rivets as this creates an ugly "pop-cap" effect as the skin unevenly gets pulled towards the fiberglass tip (don't ask me how I know this one).
The fiberglass tips are a pain. The difficulty in installing them is why Zenith went to the one piece tips on the 750. I wish they'd retrofit the one piece tips for the 701.
Hope this is of some help.
Doug M

On Monday, November 11, 2013 2:52:09 PM, Perry Delano <pdelano(at)telus.net> wrote:

Hi guys and girls,

Beyond the fact that they don’t fit very well, are there any gotcha’s with installing the wing tips, e.g because they don’t fit so well getting them close seems like all that can be done. What about adding glass fibre to get something to put a rivet into near the leading edge where I don’t seem to shove it in any tighter and still keep the upper and lower edges near the trailing edge of the nose skin looking good. will minor deviations in positioning the wing tip affect flying performance or safety. I have tried searching the matronics archives but not found anything substantive to go on. Zenith does not show trimming the FRP piece, it just magically appears on the wing tip in the builders manual. Has zenith published anything to help with their installation?

Regards,

Perry

[quote][b]http://www.aeroelectric.com/

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

pdelano(at)telus.net

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Fiberglass Wing Tips, don't be afraid Reply with quote

Hi Doug,

As always thanks for your help. I am not even sure why Zenith did not go full length w aluminum and make something with a flat back that could be riveted to the skin, which I considered, but one cannot get  .016 aluminum at places like metal supermarket. I think I am close enough although I don’t have any meat for rivets on the leading edge. Going to put on my gloves and fire up the heat gun. As far as the pop cap effect, I have a nice tight fit between the tip and skin I just need to get it in tighter on the front.

Thanks again, talk to you soon.

Perry
[quote]=====================================[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: