Twist Avoidance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
pdelano(at)telus.net
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Twist Avoidance Reply with quote

The 12’ X 2.5’ work bench I use to build on is a very stiff structure on casters. It has some twist in it that would be a big job to take out if not impossible. In the past I have jacked the table then shimmed 2x2 Aluminum tubing laid perpendicular the long axis of the table to have level supports on which to build. The latter is a cumbersome procedure and is exaggerated by a sloping garage floor. I did weld up some screw jack levelers for the table that hold it steady and get it near level but I still need to address the twist. I have flipped the R wing, right side up and want to drill and cleco the nose skin and leading edge of the upper rear skin to the spar but I want to ensure the 2x2’s are level in the X and Y before starting.

I fear a 4 foot level is not accurate enough as I would have to either attach it to a longer “straight beam” or level in increments along the length of the table. I have thought about buying or renting one of those self leveling lasers, using an optical level and even a piece of clear tube filled with water or some other fluid. I may be over thinking this for a CH-701, so I wanted to see what others have done to ensure they are building on a level surface.

Regards,

Perry Delano

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
dougsnash

Joined: 14 Apr 2008

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Twist Avoidance Reply with quote

I don't know what to tell you Perry other than the flatter and truer the work surface, the better the final product will be. I would to my best to eliminate the twist as much as possible. Now, are we talking a millimeter or two or are we talking 10-20mm. If the former is what you have, your good to go. If its the latter, you need to get the bench straightened out.  Remember to check your construction standards on the Manual CD, it generally tells you the limits for how accurate things need to be.

Hope this helps

Doug M

[quote]http://www.matronics.cottp://forums.matronics.com/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://foru==========

[b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
JohnDRead(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Twist Avoidance Reply with quote

Perry,
The more flat your building table is the less problems you will have when you fly your 701. There is some guidance in the Zenith building standards, I recall it was one degree max.

Regards, John

CH701 - Colorado - Jabiru 3300

Cell: 719-494-4567
Home: 303-648-3261

ist href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
s.matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com
p://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
rwehba(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Twist Avoidance Reply with quote

use a homemade water level

Sent from my iPhone

[quote] <![endif]--> <![endif]-->

===================================
st">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
===================================
cs.com
===================================
matronics.com/contribution
===================================

[b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
pdelano(at)telus.net
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Twist Avoidance Reply with quote

Hi Ron, Doug, John, Carlos,

Thanks for the advice on using a level table for wing construction. I took it to heart and basically made my work bench into a pool table, e.g. it now has jack screws at each lag and at every hold down point on the top (9 points on each side)  there is a jack screw to adjust the bed as needed to get it as flat and level as I can. I bought some clear hose to make a water level and will  do a final level check when I have all the jack screws installed. I may rent one of those self leveling laser levels to double check my work, or an optical level if I can find one.

Sorry for taking so long for a reply. Thanks again.

Regards,

Perry
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours