Hydraulic Lock Prevention
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
cjpilot710(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic Lock Prevention Reply with quote

Bill,
All you have to do to prevent a hydraulic lock is take out the spark plugs. That leaves a VERY BIG HOLE, that the oil can flow though.  And you really only need to do it on the bottom cylinders.

Also taking off the valve covers will NOT cause a hydraulic lock.  One. there is not enough oil in the covers. Two. the oil will not flow into the cylinder, it simply falls on the floor OR a bucket/pan. All the valve covers in total would not have more than quart in them.

Do not worry about the oil pump ball valve or seat. Simply drain all the oil from the oil tank (you're changing it anyway). Also you'll be taking all 4 oil screens out to check and clean, so the engine will be draining oil anyway.

If you don't have a A&P license and have done this before, PLEASE get a qualified guy to do it for you and watch.

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

In a message dated 9/10/2013 8:32:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, bwade154(at)yahoo.com writes:
Quote:
Hi guys and gals I'm doing my condition inspection now and on the to do list is adjust the valves well after draining all the oil and removing the oil hoses let drip a couple days time for the valves remove the covers and another quart or two of oil from the lower cylinders valve covers. So my question is how do you know if its the oil pump ball seat or a valve guide that's not quite up to par creating the hydraulic lock?. All this talk about ball valves after the oil tank and before the oil pump maybe we need to get the oil out of the push rod tubes? Has anyone put a drain tube on the valve covers and if so the results?
Bill Wade
N4450Y