Old kit new problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
rvsimons

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Old kit new problems Reply with quote

I bought a older 701 kit last year which the previous owner bought most of the SP upgrades to turn it from a 950 gross weight to an 1100 gross weight plane. I have been upgrading the wing spars by installing the heavier plate where the struts mount and installed the doubler at the spar roots. The plans called for a heavier wing attachment bracket (1/8 to 3/16). I bought the material only to find that my old cabin receiver will not except the 3/16 metal thickness. The old cabin was made with slots to take 1/8 only. My question is can make my wing attachment brackets out of 1/8 4130 instead of using the old 1/8 6061. I feel this will strengthen the wing attachment without having to rebuild the slots in the cabin. Thoughts?

Thank you
Vance Simons
Post Falls ID.

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

_________________
Vance Simons
Post Falls, Idaho
Zenith 701
n801bh(at)netzero.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Old kit new problems Reply with quote

Personally I would say yes.....
do not archive
Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

--------

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
john.marzulli(at)gmail.co
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Old kit new problems Reply with quote

Have you called Zenith about it? They must have supported retro fits when they upgraded to the SP airframe.

John Marzulli

http://MarzulliPhoto.net/
http://701Builder.blogspot.com/

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 6:04 AM, Ben <n801bh(at)netzero.com (n801bh(at)netzero.com)> wrote:
[quote]
Personally I would say yes.....
do not archive
Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

--------

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
rvsimons

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Old kit new problems Reply with quote

I'm calling them this morning. On Jun 20, 2013 6:37 AM, "John Marzulli" <john.marzulli(at)gmail.com (john.marzulli(at)gmail.com)> wrote:[quote] Have you called Zenith about it? They must have supported retro fits when they upgraded to the SP airframe.

John Marzulli

http://MarzulliPhoto.net/
http://701Builder.blogspot.com/

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 6:04 AM, Ben <n801bh(at)netzero.com (n801bh(at)netzero.com)> wrote:
[quote]
Personally I would say yes.....
do not archive
Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

--------

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

_________________
Vance Simons
Post Falls, Idaho
Zenith 701
dougsnash

Joined: 14 Apr 2008

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Old kit new problems Reply with quote

I tend to agree with Ben but would suggest a call to Zenith to get Caleb's opinion.

Doug M
CH-701 from scratch
NW Ontario, Canada

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
rvsimons

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Old kit new problems Reply with quote

Update. So I called and spoke with Caleb this morning. He said my cabin was made out of mild steel and since 2000 they were made of 4130. I told him I thought it was made out of 4130. When I asked about changing the spar attachment to 1/8th 4130 instead of using the 6061 1/8th inch so I would not have to cut up my cabin he said he didn't have an answer for me and honestly was to busy to get one but if I would email him the question again he could look into it in two weeks... Confused After talking to him I ran home and looked at my cabin. Sure enough it was made out of 4130 as it was printed right on the tubing. So my plan now is to talk to my EAA advisor and make the new attachments out of 1/8th 4130. 4130 has a tensile strength of 97 psi where 6061 is rated at 45 psi. I strongly believe using the 1/8th 4130 verses the 6061 will more than compensate for the strength difference between the 1/8th and the 3/16th 6061 material thickness change. A little discouraged but pressing on.

Vance Simons
Post Falls, ID.

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

_________________
Vance Simons
Post Falls, Idaho
Zenith 701
rvsimons

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Old kit new problems Reply with quote

Here are the new mounts I built last night out of 1/8th inch 4130 chrome moly.

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

20130620_204503.jpg
 Filesize:  1.57 MB
 Viewed:  6693 Time(s)

20130620_204503.jpg

Vance Simons
Post Falls, Idaho
Zenith 701
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours