Slats & vgs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
frank goodnight

Joined: 27 Dec 2011

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Slats & vgs Reply with quote

Hi,
I haven't had my 701 long enough to know what I like , or dislike about it or
what I want to put on it -- Fairings etc-- .Don't plan on doing anything to it anytime soon
just fly it until i get to know it good enough to know what if anything I want to change.
Right now it's stock with a 100 hp rotax.
Having said that , it seems as if the people that have replaced the slats with VGs
are really happy with the change. as it is cheap and easy to do I may want to try it.
I would like to know what the change does to the cg? Are the slats considered to be part of the wing chord? where is the range without the slats.Does it move from where it was the the slats? May seem simple to some of you but it has me somewhat confused.
Thanks for any thoughts you may have
Frank
Fayetteville ,AR

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
dougsnash

Joined: 14 Apr 2008

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Slats & vgs Reply with quote

Frank, first off let me say that I am one of those stubborn 701 owners who feel that if I'd wanted a plane without slats, I would have built something other than a 701.

According to Chris Heintz (at an Oshkosh forum), the slats are part of the chord of the wing. The airfoil shape (I forget the number) includes the slat. The airfoil without the slat is an "untested" airfoil which he never intended to be flown. Chris further claimed that air is not supposed to be flowing through the slot unless the wing is at a fairly high angle of attack and thus should have minimal drag while in cruise. Chris claimed slats are essentially the best high lift device that can be installed on this class of aircraft in a simple and light fashion.

All of Chris's statements aside, it is undeniable that many 701 owners have chosen to remove their slats and install VGs and have seen a 5-10 MPH increase in cruise speed. I suspect the removal of the slat has reduced the effective chord of the wing and thus increased the aspect ratio of the wing. Therefore, a 701 minus the slats essentially has a smaller wing than one with slats. Smaller wing equals less drag equals more speed. Problem is, the wing sans slat looses much of its STOL capability.  When you add the VGs, you recover much (not quite all) of the lost STOL capability. The increased speed of a 701 with VGs instead of slats does not come from the VGs, it comes from the removal of wing area, weight, and drag. The VGs are only a band-aid to repair the STOL capabilities lost by removal of the slats.

As for the changes to the CofG with the slats removed, the slats are fairly close to the CofG of the plane so their removal should have minimal effect. Since the center of lift theoretically moves aft when the slats are removed at the same time as the Cof G moves aft, the total change to how the plane responds is supposedly very little. Thus, you get the typical response from 701 owners who elect to remove their slats saying they notice very little negative effect and the big positive effect of the increased speed or economy (depending on how you choose to fly).

I am trying to present as balanced a point of view here as I can. As I've stated, I have no intention of removing my slats. I can understand the urge to remove slats though given the potential increase in speed for negligible negative side effect.  John Gilpen (sp?) from Australia has done a bunch of flight testing and supposedly has an extensive website (www.stolspeed.com I think) documenting his experiences with 701s and Savannahs flying without slats. While I have not looked at his site (as I don't plan on removing my slats) many people claim it has great information. One caveat to keep in mind is that JG sells VG kits for 701s and Savannahs so view his information with a critical eye. This being said, however, he seems to have many satisfied customers so you will have to decide for yourself.

I hope my little ramble about slats vs VGs has been of some use and I have provided the balanced opinion I was attempting to present.

Doug M
701 from scratch
NW Ontario, Canada
[...]

roger(at)nwtradingpost.co
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Slats & vgs Reply with quote

Doug

Thanks, this is the best (and most balanced!) discourse that I have seen on this perennially occurring topic

Like you I do no t plan on removing the slats but I have added vg’s to the elevator as suggested by Zenith (yes, there is a place for vg’s on the 701!)

Roger

[...]

0
Quote:
1
Quote:
2
Quote:
3
Quote:
4
Quote:
5
Quote:
6
Quote:
7
Quote:
8
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
frank goodnight

Joined: 27 Dec 2011

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Slats & vgs Reply with quote

Hi Doug,
Thanks for your answer. Hope I get a couple from people that have replaced the
slats to tell how things go.
Frank
do not archive

[...]

ronlee

Joined: 25 Dec 2006

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Slats & vgs Reply with quote

I personally have removed the slats from my 701 and would rather fly without them for at least two reasons.
#1 it is easier to land.
#2 it is easier to take off.
I have VG's from John Gilpin. If you order from him you will receive them with full instructions for proper installation.
In the air you will not notice any difference, increase in speed, not enough to talk about.
One more thing, With slats you will command lots of attention and get lots of questions. Without them nothing special so no questions or curiosity about the plane. In other words slats are a great attention generator and I believe a great sales tool. Mine are sitting on a shelf and will include them someday when I sell my 701.

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

Ron Lee
Tucson, Arizona
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours