Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flight Test for a Remote Oil Filter Kit on the Stratus Sub

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Stratus-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gkrysztopik(at)satx.rr.co

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Flight Test for a Remote Oil Filter Kit on the Stratus Sub Reply with quote

Was it also 90+ degrees? If so, you went from about 250 to 233 degrees at around 130 mph and 5200 rpm. That's much more significant than I would have guessed for just a remote filter. I like where you mounted it, perfect spot with plenty of room and great airflow. Nice work, thanks.

Quote:
Gary Krysztopik
ZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.com
Alamo City Electric Auto Association - www.aceaa.org
blog - http://voices.mysanantonio.com/drive_electric_san_antonio/
San Antonio, TX

On 9/11/2011 11:29 AM, Larry McFarland wrote: [quote] <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Hi Gary,
From my journal, I’d earlier posted;
Note: I often think an oil cooler might be a worthwhile addition.
I had concern for oil temps that ran as high as 235 degrees F. The manual states 260 is the max oil temp permitted. Flying at 130 mph at 5200 rpm on a hot day of more than 90-degrees, engine oil will eventually reach 250 degrees (my warning set-point on the EIS) so I do back off to 4600 rpm and cruise at 115 to 120 mph. Oil temps will then stay near 235.
Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com

From: owner-stratus-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-stratus-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-stratus-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-stratus-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Gary Krysztopik
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2011 11:00 AM
To: stratus-list(at)matronics.com (stratus-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: Flight Test for a Remote Oil Filter Kit on the Stratus Subaru

Thanks for posting Larry. What would you say the difference is in oil temp - what would the oil temp have been below without the remote filter?

Quote:
Gary KrysztopikZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.comAlamo City Electric Auto Association - www.aceaa.orgblog - http://voices.mysanantonio.com/drive_electric_san_antonio/ San Antonio, TX

On 9/11/2011 10:09 AM, Larry McFarland wrote:
Hi guys,
Sept 10 After a Hy-Vee lunch with the guys, I went to the hangar and did a thorough preflight, did take a full 5 quarts to top oil off before startup. The Subaru fired up immediately and I taxied out. Oil temps began at 60 p.s.i. and when warmed went down to 45 p.s.i. Tower cleared me for 10. The lift off was trim-adjusted with no perceptible feel for the weight change up front. I flew south of the control zone to the designated "practice area. Oil temps at 3000 feet reached 228 degrees at 4300 rpm and I progressively brought up the power in 100 rpm increments every 8 minutes or so. CHTs stayed 190 to 200 degrees, EGTs 1380, Coolant 200 and when rpms reached 5100 and airspeed at 128 mph, oil temps never went over 233 degrees. All other temps stayed well in the green. The remote oil filter kit resolved the max temp issues. I stayed on an east west track until I was satisfied that the engine was happy within its full range of operation and then headed back to Moline. Descending at 125 into the pattern was easy, the landing was smooth and I taxied back to the south tees with 175 hours on the engine. The cowl was unbuttoned, the engine was drip-free and oil hoses stayed where they'd been clamped. Pictures are added to the bottom of my engine page that shows the components and installation in greater detail. Very satisfied with this modification! Data was entered into the logs.

Quote:
Gary Krysztopik
Quote:
Gary Krysztopik
Quote:
Gary Krysztopik
2 [b]

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
larry(at)macsmachine.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Flight Test for a Remote Oil Filter Kit on the Stratus Sub Reply with quote

Both days were in the mid-80s. I’m sure the temps were 4 or 5 degrees cooler
Yesterday, so the advantage was realistically more like 10-degrees or better.
Sure is easier to access. I’ll have to watch the bracket for any signs of fatigue.
It feels solid, but must stay that way to avoid cracking anything, lugs etc. I designed
the piece so the small rod welds will be the first to show fatigue, should that occur.

From: owner-stratus-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-stratus-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Gary Krysztopik
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2011 1:20 PM
To: stratus-list(at)matronics.com

Was it also 90+ degrees? If so, you went from about 250 to 233 degrees at around 130 mph and 5200 rpm. That's much more significant than I would have guessed for just a remote filter. I like where you mounted it, perfect spot with plenty of room and great airflow. Nice work, thanks.
Quote:
Gary KrysztopikZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.comAlamo City Electric Auto Association - www.aceaa.orgblog - http://voices.mysanantonio.com/drive_electric_san_antonio/ San Antonio, TX

On 9/11/2011 11:29 AM, Larry McFarland wrote:
Hi Gary,
From my journal, I’d earlier posted;
Note: I often think an oil cooler might be a worthwhile addition.
I had concern for oil temps that ran as high as 235 degrees F. The manual states 260 is the max oil temp permitted. Flying at 130 mph at 5200 rpm on a hot day of more than 90-degrees, engine oil will eventually reach 250 degrees (my warning set-point on the EIS) so I do back off to 4600 rpm and cruise at 115 to 120 mph. Oil temps will then stay near 235.

From: owner-stratus-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-stratus-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-stratus-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-stratus-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Gary Krysztopik
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2011 11:00 AM
To: stratus-list(at)matronics.com (stratus-list(at)matronics.com)

Thanks for posting Larry. What would you say the difference is in oil temp - what would the oil temp have been below without the remote filter?
Quote:

On 9/11/2011 10:09 AM, Larry McFarland wrote:
Hi guys,
Sept 10 After a Hy-Vee lunch with the guys, I went to the hangar and did a thorough preflight, did take a full 5 quarts to top oil off before startup. The Subaru fired up immediately and I taxied out. Oil temps began at 60 p.s.i. and when warmed went down to 45 p.s.i. Tower cleared me for 10. The lift off was trim-adjusted with no perceptible feel for the weight change up front. I flew south of the control zone to the designated "practice area. Oil temps at 3000 feet reached 228 degrees at 4300 rpm and I progressively brought up the power in 100 rpm increments every 8 minutes or so. CHTs stayed 190 to 200 degrees, EGTs 1380, Coolant 200 and when rpms reached 5100 and airspeed at 128 mph, oil temps never went over 233 degrees. All other temps stayed well in the green. The remote oil filter kit resolved the max temp issues. I stayed on an east west track until I was satisfied that the engine was happy within its full range of operation and then headed back to Moline. Descending at 125 into the pattern was easy, the landing was smooth and I taxied back to the south tees with 175 hours on the engine. The cowl was unbuttoned, the engine was drip-free and oil hoses stayed where they'd been clamped. Pictures are added to the bottom of my engine page that shows the components and installation in greater detail. Very satisfied with this modification! Data was entered into the logs.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
blog - http://voices.mysanantonio.com/drive_electric_san_antonio/
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Stratus-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: