Flight Test for a Remote Oil Filter Kit on the Stratus Sub

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Stratus-List
gkrysztopik(at)satx.rr.co
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Flight Test for a Remote Oil Filter Kit on the Stratus Sub Reply with quote

Was it also 90+ degrees? If so, you went from about 250 to 233 degrees at around 130 mph and 5200 rpm. That's much more significant than I would have guessed for just a remote filter. I like where you mounted it, perfect spot with plenty of room and great airflow. Nice work, thanks.

Quote:
Gary Krysztopik
ZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.com
Alamo City Electric Auto Association - www.aceaa.org
blog - http://voices.mysanantonio.com/drive_electric_san_antonio/
San Antonio, TX

On 9/11/2011 11:29 AM, Larry McFarland wrote: [quote] <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Hi Gary,
From my journal, I’d earlier posted;
Note: I often think an oil cooler might be a worthwhile addition.
I had concern for oil temps that ran as high as 235 degrees F. The manual states 260 is the max oil temp permitted. Flying at 130 mph at 5200 rpm on a hot day of more than 90-degrees, engine oil will eventually reach 250 degrees (my warning set-point on the EIS) so I do back off to 4600 rpm and cruise at 115 to 120 mph. Oil temps will then stay near 235.
Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com

Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com
Quote:
Gary Krysztopik
0
Quote:
Gary Krysztopik
1
Quote:
Gary Krysztopik
2 [b]

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
Back to top
larry(at)macsmachine.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Flight Test for a Remote Oil Filter Kit on the Stratus Sub Reply with quote

Both days were in the mid-80s. I’m sure the temps were 4 or 5 degrees cooler
Yesterday, so the advantage was realistically more like 10-degrees or better.
Sure is easier to access. I’ll have to watch the bracket for any signs of fatigue.
It feels solid, but must stay that way to avoid cracking anything, lugs etc. I designed
the piece so the small rod welds will be the first to show fatigue, should that occur.

Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com
Quote:
ZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.com
0
Quote:
ZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.com
1
Quote:
ZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.com
2
Quote:
ZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.com
3
Quote:
ZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.com
4
Quote:
ZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.com
5
Quote:
ZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.com
6
Quote:
ZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.com
7
Quote:
ZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.com
8
Quote:
ZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.com
9
Quote:
[...]
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Stratus-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours