Relocate to CA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> TeamGrumman-List
jamey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Relocate to CA Reply with quote

There's definitely an annual use tax levied by apparently all CA counties
but I don't see why you'd be taxed for bringing the plane in if you've had
it for a while. San Mateo County hits me up for about 1% annually.

Jamey
--

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
aa1bflyboy(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Relocate to CA Reply with quote

Incorporate in Delaware, no use or sales tax. Let the corporation own the
plane. Many aircraft and boat owners do it. Need an address hit me up. I'll
be here for a while <G>...

Steve Roberts - AA-1B N9664L (at) ILG
There's definitely an annual use tax levied by apparently all CA counties
but I don't see why you'd be taxed for bringing the plane in if you've had
it for a while. San Mateo County hits me up for about 1% annually.

Question for CA based TG folks: are there annual taxes on your planes in CA?
Can anyone advise if I were to move to CA and bring my Tiger, would I
typically be subject to any type of sales or use tax for moving the plane to
CA. Not that any of this is highly probable, but just curious. Thanks,

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
Back to top
rdp123(at)verizon.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Relocate to CA Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer Steve but the tax collector in L.A. is not stupid. If
your plane is here they will get their property tax every year unless you
hide it and move it around constantly. They track the hangars and tie downs
and insurance submission from the FBO's.

Rick Tiger 4542N Santa Monica

<aa1bflyboy(at)msn.com>

[...]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Relocate to CA Reply with quote

He's right and really, for 1% of your aircraft's value annualy, would it
really be worth the hassle and aggrivation of trying to dodge the system let
alone the risk of penalty when caught?

If there's a clear legal path to avoiding taxation I'll be the first guy in
line but in this case I've yet to hear of a way to beat the system.

Such is the price we pay for all the (normally) nice flying weather.

Jamey
--

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
aa1bflyboy(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Relocate to CA Reply with quote

Oh well worth a try...

Steve Roberts - AA-1B N9664L (at) ILG

He's right and really, for 1% of your aircraft's value annualy, would it
really be worth the hassle and aggrivation of trying to dodge the system let
alone the risk of penalty when caught?

If there's a clear legal path to avoiding taxation I'll be the first guy in
line but in this case I've yet to hear of a way to beat the system.

Such is the price we pay for all the (normally) nice flying weather.

Jamey
--

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
Back to top
Anna Longwell

Location: Palo Alto, CA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Relocate to CA Reply with quote

If your airplane is 30 years old and you show it as an antique on some
regular schedule, you can be forgiven the CA sales tax. Lots of people up in
Schellville show their planes on the first saturday of the month. n74400 aka
Christine will be 30 this year, and I'm considering opening the hangar and
having coffee and cookies one a month-more fun than paying tax--

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
gilalex(at)earthlink.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Relocate to CA Reply with quote

Shucks... it's 40 years in AZ before you qualify for the $25 fee instead of
the 0.5% yearly tax ... gil A
At 02:04 PM 4/25/2006, you wrote:
Quote:

If your airplane is 30 years old and you show it as an antique on some
regular schedule, you can be forgiven the CA sales tax. Lots of people up in
Schellville show their planes on the first saturday of the month.
n74400 aka
Christine will be 30 this year, and I'm considering opening the hangar and
having coffee and cookies one a month-more fun than paying tax--

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
Back to top
v1rotate(at)verizon.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Relocate to CA Reply with quote

Quote:
He's right and really, for 1% of your aircraft's value annualy, would it
really be worth the hassle and aggrivation of trying to dodge the system
let
alone the risk of penalty when caught?

If there's a clear legal path to avoiding taxation I'll be the first guy
in
line but in this case I've yet to hear of a way to beat the system.

You guys might be missing something. I believe in Los Angeles County, if
not in all of California, that once your plane is 30 years old (maybe 35,
not sure) it then qualifies as an antique or classic or some such
designation. At that point you become exempt from the yearly property tax
as long as you display the plane to the public one day a month. That
amounts to leaving your hangar door open for look-i-lu's, or perhaps if it's
parked outside having some sort of a sign saying "this is a Grumman AA...".
I know my plane isn't quite old enough yet, but if I owned a '76 I'd be
calling the county tax assessor to see if I qualify.

Bill Kelly
AA1C 39065 ('7Cool
Lancaster, CA

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
Back to top
jamey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Relocate to CA Reply with quote

No kidding! The "new" A36 is a '75 model so I have some research to do...

Thanks!

Jamey
--

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
GrummanDude

Location: Auburn, CA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Relocate to CA Reply with quote

Like the others say, the only tax is a property tax. As for moving to CA
and paying sales tax, I think it's only if you've owned the plane less than 9
months. That's the number I seem to remember.

Where in CA are you planning to move?

Gary

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List

_________________
Gary
AuCountry Aviation
Home of Team Grumman
GrummanDude

Location: Auburn, CA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Relocate to CA Reply with quote

In a message dated 4/25/06 8:26:40 PM, gilalex(at)earthlink.net writes:
Quote:
Shucks... it's 40 years in AZ before you qualify for the $25 fee instead of
the 0.5% yearly tax ... gil A

What is your tax on house property?

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List

_________________
Gary
AuCountry Aviation
Home of Team Grumman
gilalex(at)earthlink.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Relocate to CA Reply with quote

It's hard to say as a %... To give an approx. number, I'd say it's sort of
0.5% of value as well...

We now pay $5,000 per year... and it's going up.....

But an AZ equivalent of the CA Prop. 13 is getting started to peg the
levels at 2004 and limit yearly increases...

gil A

At 10:43 PM 4/26/2006, you wrote:
Quote:

In a message dated 4/25/06 8:26:40 PM, gilalex(at)earthlink.net writes:
> Shucks... it's 40 years in AZ before you qualify for the $25 fee instead of
> the 0.5% yearly tax ... gil A

What is your tax on house property?

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
Back to top
jamey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Relocate to CA Reply with quote

We're about 1.1% here in CA or at least in San Mateo County:(

Jamey

--

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
GrummanDude

Location: Auburn, CA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Relocate to CA Reply with quote

In a message dated 4/26/06 11:03:02 PM, gilalex(at)earthlink.net writes:
Quote:
But an AZ equivalent of the CA Prop. 13 is getting started to peg the
levels at 2004 and limit yearly increases...

Cool, then in about 20 years, Arizona will have schools and roads as bad as
California (only Mississippi ranks lower in school quality than California).
Plus, housing costs will go up because there'll be no tax base to pay for
roads, sewers, power, and water in new developments. The builder will be stuck
with $50,000 to $$75,000 in fees just to build a house that used to cost
$80,000. That same house will cost the equivalent of $500,000 today. The house I
bought in 1982 for $69,000 in the hell hole of Lancaster is worth $320,000
today. If they pass the equivalent of Prop 13, buy as much property as you can
leverage. Then hang on to it. With luck, your kids will be out of school.

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List

_________________
Gary
AuCountry Aviation
Home of Team Grumman
gilalex(at)earthlink.net
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Relocate to CA Reply with quote

Gary...
I don't believe a correlation between $ spent per pupil and education
levels has been shown to exist anywhere in the country.
It's rather a closed system with no incentives.
A voucher system and some parental choice would show where efficiencies and
losses actually exist (aka capitalism).

And interestingly enough, the same politicians now calling for a "windfall
profits" tax on the oil companies are quite happy getting their own
windfall profits in property tax when house prices rise at a fast rate.
I lived in LA when Prop. 13 passed (about 1978?) and remember what was
happening to our own house property tax... a 300% increase in a couple of
years.

California's problems stem from other than Prop 13... the state did not
collapse as predicted (well except for a few earthquakes...)

It seems like the house we bought for $50,000 in 1977 in LA is now in the
$950,000 range.. it was shooting up before Prop 13, and shot up since. It
also fell about 40% in the early 80's when aerospace jobs left LA.

gil in AZ
At 11:53 PM 4/26/2006, you wrote:
Quote:

In a message dated 4/26/06 11:03:02 PM, gilalex(at)earthlink.net writes:
> But an AZ equivalent of the CA Prop. 13 is getting started to peg the
> levels at 2004 and limit yearly increases...

Cool, then in about 20 years, Arizona will have schools and roads as bad as
California (only Mississippi ranks lower in school quality than
California).
Plus, housing costs will go up because there'll be no tax base to pay for
roads, sewers, power, and water in new developments. The builder will be
stuck
with $50,000 to $$75,000 in fees just to build a house that used to cost
$80,000. That same house will cost the equivalent of $500,000 today. The
house I
bought in 1982 for $69,000 in the hell hole of Lancaster is worth $320,000
today. If they pass the equivalent of Prop 13, buy as much property as
you can
leverage. Then hang on to it. With luck, your kids will be out of school.

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
Back to top
allenc3(at)bellsouth.net
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Relocate to CA Reply with quote

In Florida, property tax is limited to 3% increase / yr. This can add up
after a while, but generally stays pretty static. My taxes on my 6000 sq ft
airpark home is less than $2000. When you buy an airplane (in state or out
of state) you get hit with a 6.5 percent sales or use tax (I know as I wrote
a check for $4000 this year after buying N68B). After that however, there
are no more taxes leveled on aircraft. Aircraft in Florida are not
considered real property.

Claude

---

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
Back to top
mattd(at)drahz.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Relocate to CA Reply with quote

And the Commonwealth of MA
1) Limits overall property tax collection increases to 2.5% a year plus
community growth - subject to an override vote via plebiscite (and school
taxes are part of that). My tax rate was about 1.1% the value of my house.
2) Has a relatively flat 5.3% income tax (DOWN from 5.9%)
3) Taxes single engine planes at around $165.00/year
4) Has no other sales tax on airplanes or airplane parts and service -
this keeps planes based in MA, and keeps MA maintenance shops competitive.

(That was the aviation related part of this)

I don't live their anymore - but contrary to popular belief - the people
are a great deal more fiscally and socially conservative than outsiders
might think. I am not putting any value on that - just observing based
upon 5 years as an immigrant to the Commonwealth.

mattd

p.s. There are plenty of silly things too - but that isn't any fun to
point out....

do not archive
[quote]
<allenc3(at)bellsouth.net>

In Florida, property tax is limited to 3% increase / yr. This can add up
after a while, but generally stays pretty static. My taxes on my 6000 sq
ft
airpark home is less than $2000. When you buy an airplane (in state or out
of state) you get hit with a 6.5 percent sales or use tax (I know as I
wrote
a check for $4000 this year after buying N68B). After that however, there
are no more taxes leveled on aircraft. Aircraft in Florida are not
considered real property.

Claude

---

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
Back to top
jamey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Relocate to CA Reply with quote

Curse you and Claude;)

Jamey

--

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> TeamGrumman-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours