914 drivers only please...

hagargs(at)earthlink.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: 914 drivers only please... Reply with quote

Fergus:
It has been awhile since I bolted up the 914 but as I recollect I needed to
go to Spruce and order longer bolts and some spacers. Other than that the
mess more of less went together as the installation manual noted. I may
have needed to make a special wrench to hold the bolt head of the odd bolt
while tightening.
Steve Hagar
A143
Mesa, AZ
Steve Hagar
hagargs(at)earthlink.net
Quote:
[Original Message]
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO(at)rac.ca>
To: EUROPALIST <europa-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: 12/31/2005 3:47:13 PM
Subject: Europa-List: 914 drivers only please...
Now, lookit, a quick review:
Going forward, the Europa folk call the first 'frame' the
"landing gear frame"(1) - and then call the next bolt-on the "Engine

mounting frame"(2) and the final one the "Rotax Ring Mount"(3).
Quote:
As a neophyte builder, I imagined these accurate structures
would slide together as smooth as silk. Wrong. I haven't even tried to

attach the rotax to the intermediate frame(2) yet, because I am busy trying
to wrestle the firewall together and must have the intermediate(2) on and
off the gear frame(1) for fitting purposes.
Quote:
While doing the latter, I am using substitute bolts to save
wear and tear on the proper ones. However, when it comes to assembling this

jigsaw together, I note the bottom bolts face forward, the top ones aft.
How in Heaven can one install the bottom ones from behind the firewall,
attempt to compress the 'Lord mounts' and turn on the requisite nuts in
front - while holding the the whole shebang together without dropping odd
bits onto the floor in the process?
Quote:
By what devious means (and doubtless questionable magic
incantations) can one accomplish all this? Have some of you people cheated

and paid others - or have you some creative ways to compress these (at)#$%?
pieces while singlehandedly screwing on a castellated nut far enough to pin
it for keeps? - Yes I am using specified A5-40 (43/32") bolts and they
don't even begin to show through at the other end. The Lord mounts seem to
bloat the minute you take your eyes off them, and if you don't use all ten
fingers to hold the assemblies together, several various cups go
tingly-dingling under the mainwheel area for about twenty feet.
Quote:
I am getting drunk just having a small sip after every failed
attempt so as to forestall any nervous anxiety attack - and getting farther

from success with every try.
Quote:
Jenny says she can't stand the bl***dy wimpering and is considering
moving to the Pacific coast in spite of the earth's crust being vexed. This

state of affairs is becoming crucial and there's not much time left.
Quote:
It's time to stop cackling behind your cuffs and come to my
assistance. There's a whole series of perplexing tasks even after this

phase is conquered so don't hesitate another minute.
Quote:
Oh, and best of 2006 to you......
Ferg

kevann(at)verizon.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: 914 drivers only please... Reply with quote

Hi Ferg,
In Europa Aircraft News no. 28 page 13 there is a tech note, have you
got that paper?
I had to use AN5-41 bolts as my kit came with 46mm spacers.
Kevin
Fergus Kyle wrote:
[...]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: 914 drivers only please... Reply with quote

Oh, and Ferg,
the next issue of the E.A. news printed the correction for the spacer
length. It is 46mm (1.8")
Kevin...Happy New Year
Fergus Kyle wrote:
[...]

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: 914 drivers only please... Reply with quote

Hi! Ferg
Happy New year!
I'm not a Rotax Buff so don't take any notice of me especially so early
in the new year but also because I'm only a Jabiru Man.!
Sounds to me like you need a compression clamp!
Simple Eh !
Bob H G-PTAG Europa MKI/Jabiru 3300

flyinggpa(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: 914 drivers only please... Reply with quote

Ferg
You and yours would be welcome on the "left" side if that is your wishes.
The bolts are too short for the shock mounts. Get four AN4-41 bolts and things will go much better. Don't make too much of a deal of it now because you will be in there later adjusting the engine off-set (maybe, I had too) ( don't set those cotter keys too hard if you want to make it easier later on)
As for the one bolt that goes in backwards, Do it as the book says or you will never get it together. The wrench will never fit the other way around. (I know)
Now, I and the wife are off to the kids place of a little Happy New Year. "Have a good one everyone !!! "
Cliff Shaw
1041 Euclid ave.
Edmonds, WA 98020
425 776 5555
http://www.europaowners.org/WileE

possibletodo(at)YAHOO.COM
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: 914 drivers only please... Reply with quote

Ferg I gotta tell you I'm splitting my sides laughing at your poetic prose. Have you ever considered becoming a writer?

flyinggpa(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: 914 drivers only please... Reply with quote

Goofed --- Sorry AN5-41 Bolts
Cliff Shaw
1041 Euclid ave.
Edmonds, WA 98020
425 776 5555
http://www.europaowners.org/WileE

BEBERRY(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: 914 drivers only please... Reply with quote

n3eu(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: 914 drivers only please... Reply with quote

Fergus Kyle wrote:
Quote:
How in Heaven can one install the bottom ones from
behind the firewall, attempt to compress the 'Lord
mounts' and turn on the requisite nuts in front -
while holding the whole shebang together without
dropping odd bits onto the floor in the process?

Ferg, just why y'all tryin' to use the proper length AN bolts as a
freakin' installation tool? Wink Just go to the hardware store and buy
a long length of 5/16" threaded rod, and 5/16 nuts. Cut said rod into
pieces longer than the AN bolts. Affix engine and snug the nuts,
compressing the rubber bushings. Thence, one-by-one, remove your
threaded rod thingies and sub an AN bolt.
Might this work for you too?
In any event, Happy New Year!
Reg,
Fred F.

ivor.phillips(at)ntlworld
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: 914 drivers only please... Reply with quote

Happy new year Ferg
I will admit that the correct bolts appear to be too short at first! But
with a bit of persuasion they will fit, I too used the cut length of
studding to compress the Lord mounts, and after a week or so they had settle
down enough to allow for the correct bolts with spare nuts to be used, Its
awkward but imminently doable,
regards
Ivor Phillips
Quote:
By what devious means (and doubtless questionable magic
incantations) can one accomplish all this? Have some of you people cheated
and paid others - or have you some creative ways to compress these (at)#$%?
pieces while singlehandedly screwing on a castellated nut far enough to
pin it for keeps? - Yes I am using specified A5-40 (43/32") bolts and they
don't even begin to show through at the other end. The Lord mounts seem to
bloat the minute you take your eyes off them, and if you don't use all ten
fingers to hold the assemblies together, several various cups go
tingly-dingling under the mainwheel area for about twenty feet.

VE3LVO(at)rac.ca
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: 914 drivers only please... Reply with quote