Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Input Needed on Engine Selection: 0-320 vs. 0-360?, which

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV6-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyadive(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Input Needed on Engine Selection: 0-320 vs. 0-360?, which Reply with quote

Brett:

I know, I know ... Just bite the bullet and install a 360.  IO-360 if it is in the budget.  Then all you have to consider is the prop.  I fly both a RV-6 and a 6A; Both have 360's the 6 has a constant speed prop.  It does see speeds about 6 Kts faster at the same RPM/Manifold Pressure.  For cost, ease of operation and maintenance go with the fixed pitch.  If you fly a lot of IFR the constant speed is very nice when maintaining an approach.
Also, with a fixed pitch ... NO AD's!

DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER THE 320.  IT WILL LOWER YOUR RESALE VALUE.  AND THE COST SAVINGS UP FRONT WILL BE LOST IN MPH Vs GAS COST.  <--- Well, maybe not but you won't have the performance you would like.

Barry

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Colleen and Brett Herrick <colleenandbrett(at)comcast.net (colleenandbrett(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
[quote] I am at the point in time where I need to order the Finishing Kit.  But, in order to order the Finishing Kit I need to select which engine I am going to use (i.e. I would like to get further down the path before ordering the engine).  So, I am seeking some input on which engine to select.

My intention for my project is that I would like to be able to finish it for a reasonable cost and to minimize the ongoing operation / maintenance cost once it is flying.  Because of this my plan is to install a fixed pitch propeller and desire leave the door open to running auto fuel.  I am fine with the external scoop.

When I look in Van's catalog, the carburetor version of the 0-320 and 0-360 sell for essentially the same price.  Any reason not to select the 0-360?  The fuel injected 0-320 sells for essentially the same price as the carburetor version of the 0-360.  Any reason to show preference for the fuel injected 0-320?  Also, I am assuming that there is no reason to pay the extra cost for the certified version.  Correct? 

Anything else that I should be considering?

Thanks.

Brett Herrick
RV-6AQ  Columbus, IN

Quote:

et="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV6-List
ttp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

- The Matronics RV6-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV6-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV6-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: