Re : Re: Considering 640 Input Needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith640-List
Christian Tremblay

Joined: 22 Aug 2008
Location: Montreal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re : Re: Considering 640 Input Needed Reply with quote

I Steve C
6nbsp;
Great 2010 new year C and 6nbsp;many funny 6nbsp;flying times with your 640 E I got 6nbsp;2-3 6nbsp;specific questions C if you have time to answer C 6nbsp;from your knowledge of rear back space available 6nbsp;for 2 rear seaters in the 640 E
6nbsp;
Could you really sit at back 2 adults C 6nbsp;if you are man or woman of 5 78 2 to 5 710 2 in an average of 150 to 175 pounds?
6nbsp;
How many inches are left free between knee and front seat with an adult described above?
6nbsp;
How was the space between front seat and rudder pedals C could we give 2-4 inches to the back for rear seats 6nbsp;?
6nbsp;
Do you know if your kit was done after last modification plan for back seating ? 6nbsp;(not like the first private plane completed)
6nbsp;
Thanks for answering C I am trying to evaluated space at back and solution or alternatives E

Christian Tremblay
SN0059

----- Message d 7origine -----
De: steveadams 6lt;dr_steve_adams(at)yahoo Ecom 6gt;
Date: Mardi C 5 Janvier 2010 C 9:04
Objet: Zenith640-List: Re: Considering 640 Input Needed
À: zenith640-list(at)matronics Ecom

6gt; -- 6gt; Zenith640-List message posted by: 2steveadams 2
6gt; 6lt;dr_steve_adams(at)yahoo Ecom 6gt;
6gt; I 7ll throw in my 2 cents worth since I have over 700 hours
6gt; flying the 640 E While both the 640 and the RV-10 are both all
6gt; metal 4 place aircraft C they are really not in the same class E
6gt; The RV-10 is bigger C faster C more difficult to build C and much
6gt; more expensive to build and maintain E With that said C if you
6gt; understand the 640 7s limitations and have realistic
6gt; expectations C the 640 is a wonderful aircraft E It has great
6gt; performance off the runway C is extremely stable and easy to
6gt; fly(great for IFR) C has decent performance numbers in cruise C
6gt; and has been easy and inexpensive to maintain E The controls are
6gt; a bit heavy at cruise speed C but very responsive and balanced E
6gt; It has a great useful load C but does suffer from a cramped rear
6gt; cabin area E If I could make one change to the plane C I wish they
6gt; would have stretched the fuselage a bit to open up the rear
6gt; cabin E As it is C I still fly with my 3 kids (ages 15 C 11 C and
6gt; 11) fairly comfortably E At 6 75 2 you will need to have the front
6gt; seat !
6gt; 6nbsp;pretty far back which will effectively make it a 3 seater E
6gt; Since I built from a quickbuilt kit C I can 7t comment on the
6gt; difficulty of building from plans E While there were a few
6gt; glitches with the kit C overall there was good support from the
6gt; factory and the plans and documentation were very good in my opinion E
6gt;
6gt;
6gt;
6gt;
6gt; Read this topic online here:
6gt;
6gt; http://forums Ematronics Ecom/viewtopic Ephp?p=280208 3280208
6gt;
6gt;
6gt;
6gt;
6gt;
6gt;
6gt;
6gt; _-============================================================
6gt; _-= 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; - The
6gt; Zenith640-List Email Forum -
6gt; _-= Use the Matronics List Features Navigator to browse
6gt; _-= the many List utilities such as List Un/Subscription C
6gt; _-= Archive Search 6amp; Download C 7-Day Browse C Chat C FAQ C
6gt; _-= Photoshare C and much much more:
6gt; _-=
6gt; _-= 6nbsp; 6nbsp; -- 6gt; http://www Ematronics Ecom/Navigator?Zenith640-List
6gt; _-=
6gt; _-============================================================
6gt; _-
6gt; = 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
6gt; _-= Same great content also available via the Web Forums!
6gt; _-=
6gt; _-= 6nbsp; 6nbsp; -- 6gt; http://forums Ematronics Ecom
6gt; _-=
6gt; _-============================================================
6gt; _-
6gt; = 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; - List Contribution Web Site -
6gt; _-= 6nbsp; Thank you for your generous support!
6gt; _-
6gt; = 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; 6nbsp; -Matt Dralle C List Admin E
6gt; _-= 6nbsp; 6nbsp; -- 6gt; http://www Ematronics Ecom/contribution
6gt; _-============================================================
6gt;
6gt;
6gt;

- The Matronics Zenith640-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith640-List

_________________
Christian Tremblay - Montreal, Qc
A guy who build a CH640 from plan - SN0059
www.zodiac640.com
steveadams

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Re : Re: Considering 640 Input Needed Reply with quote

Christian,
My plane does have the change to the rear seat, moving it back about 4 inches. The way my plane is finished, 2 normal sized adults cannot fit comfortably in the rear seats. I do have pretty thick seats (2 1/2 inches of foam and 1/2 inch plywood) which does take away quite a bit of room when your talking about a space where a few inches could make a real difference. The thinnest seat foam you can comfortably get away with would probably be the easiest way maximize the available space. The nice plush seats look good and are comfortable but do waste space. An adult sitting in back will have their knees up against the seat back. This is aggravated by the elevated floor in the rear (which brings the knees up higher where the space is the least due to the rearward slant of the back of the front seat). You could try decreasing the angle between the front seat back and the lower seat cushion. A few degrees change might not be noticeable when sitting in the front, and that could add a few inches of knee space. Sliding the front seat too far forward will bring the average sized persons knees in contact with the bottom of the instrument panel so there is not a lot of leeway there. You could also decrease the angle of the rear seats back panel to give another inch or so of knee room, but the rear seating position is already pretty upright so that may end up a bit uncomfortable as well. Moving the whole rear seat back any further and, due to the slope of the rear canopy, your passengers will be hitting their heads on the roof. So as you can see I have thought about this, but thus far the limited space has not been enough of a liability to try and make any changes.

- The Matronics Zenith640-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith640-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith640-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours