Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil draining from coolers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> LycomingEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Oil draining from coolers Reply with quote

For those of you with oil coolers mounted behind the #4 cylinder on the baffling, does the oil drain back down in to the crankcase when the engine is not running? Or, does it stay in the cooler?

I bought an engine pre-heater and included the oil cooler heater option. I don't think I need to install that part if the oil won't stay there after shut-down.

Thanks,
Ralph

- The Matronics LycomingEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
steve282s(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Oil draining from coolers Reply with quote

Hi Ralph,
I just put one of Vans oil heater shutters in front of my cooler. When I removed the cooler for the shutter install, it appeared that about 8 oz of oil was still contained in the cooler (I tipped it up to drain). After I reistalled the cooler it took about 8 oz oil to fill the cooler back up. So, I would have to say that very little oil is drained back into the crankcase after engine shutdown. For what it's worth, unless the oil cooler heater option doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I wouldn't worry about it. Then again, I spent an arm and a leg on a constant speed prop, so go figure. I use a space heater with homemade duct work blowing up into the lower exhaust exit area on my seven. It works great. Oil temps come right up - but the oil cooler shutter system helps a bunch.

Good Luck,
Steve Stucky
N282S - flying VariEze
N293S - flying RV-7

To: rv-list <rv-list(at)matronics.com>; lycoming engine list <lycomingengines-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Wed, December 16, 2009 10:06:41 AM
Subject: Oil draining from coolers

--> LycomingEngines-List message posted by: "Ralph E. Capen" <recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)>

For those of you with oil coolers mounted behind the #4 cylinder on the baffling, does the oil drain back down in to the crankcase when the engine is not running? Or, does it stay in the cooler?

I bought an engine pre-heater and included the oil cooler heater option. I don't think I need to install that part if the oil won't stay there after shut-down.

Thanks,
R-= * AeroElectric www.t; ; -Ma= - The LycomingEngines-List Email Foru - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Oil draining from coolers Reply with quote

Steve,

Thanks for the response.

Exact same reason that I am asking...putting in the oil shutter...on a SW 8406R for my 6A IO360B1F6...MT CS prop....I figure too!

Already have the oil cooler heater - so I thought I would do it all at once. The cooler is mounted on the baffle with Van's install kit for the oil cooler (with the two flanges that point in to the cooler).

Do you have any pictures of the shutter install process? How are you managing the shutter opening?

Thanks,
Ralph
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> LycomingEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: