Continental front crank seal sealant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Engines-List
n4546v(at)mindspring.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Continental front crank seal sealant Reply with quote

Hello Listers:
We are about to assemble a Continental O-200A (major overhaul) and were
wondering what modern sealant is recommended for the front crankshaft seal.
One engine builder has said Permatex 97 is what he uses. This looks fine
but appears to be a type of contact cement. This same builder also says he
uses Locktite 515 to join the case halves and no longer uses silk thread.
Any input would be appreciated. We could, of course, use what is mentioned
in the Continental overhaul manual, but we were hoping that in the last 65
years, something "slightly" better may have been developed, "Halomar" etc.

Thanks&Regards,

Randy L. Thwing,. Las Vegas

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
redswing(at)mcn.org
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Continental front crank seal sealant Reply with quote

I used Hylomar from Permatex with silk thread on a Continental about 11 years ago, still pretty tight at 800 hours.
Red Hamilton

---

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
n4546v(at)mindspring.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Continental front crank seal sealant Reply with quote

What did you use on the front crank seal????

Quote:
I used Hylomar from Permatex with silk thread on a Continental about 11
years ago, still pretty tight at 800 hours.

Quote:
Red Hamilton

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
redswing(at)mcn.org
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Continental front crank seal sealant Reply with quote

Same thing, let it tack up some before install.
Red
---

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
s_korney(at)hotmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Continental front crank seal sealant Reply with quote

Three lines of silk thread and halomar works real well on the case halfs...

Best... Steve

We are about to assemble a Continental O-200A (major overhaul) and were
wondering what modern sealant is recommended for the front crankshaft seal.
One engine builder has said Permatex 97 is what he uses. This looks fine
but appears to be a type of contact cement. This same builder also says he
uses Locktite 515 to join the case halves and no longer uses silk thread.
Any input would be appreciated. We could, of course, use what is mentioned
in the Continental overhaul manual, but we were hoping that in the last 65
years, something "slightly" better may have been developed, "Halomar" etc.

Thanks&Regards,

Randy L. Thwing,. Las Vegas

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
Hopperdhh(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Continental front crank seal sealant Reply with quote

In a message dated 4/10/2006 1:05:08 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
s_korney(at)hotmail.com writes:

Three lines of silk thread and halomar works real well on the case halfs...

Best... Steve
Do you mean Permatex HYLOMAR HPF Part No. 25249? This worked very well for
me with the silk thread.

Dan Hopper
RV-7A

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
Hopperdhh(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Continental front crank seal sealant Reply with quote

Oops, should have read all the thread before replying! The HYLOMAR seems to
be a thick grease that does not really set up, I think. Great stuff.

do not archive

Dan

In a message dated 4/10/2006 7:11:52 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Hopperdhh(at)aol.com writes:

Do you mean Permatex HYLOMAR HPF Part No. 25249? This worked very well
for
me with the silk thread.

Dan Hopper
RV-7A

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
flyv35b(at)ashcreekwirele
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Continental front crank seal sealant Reply with quote

Pliobond works good.
Cliff A&P/IA
---

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
Jim Baker

Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Location: Sayre, PA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Continental front crank seal sealant Reply with quote

Quote:
Pliobond works good.

ThreeBond, as well.

Jim Baker
580.788.2779
Elmore City, OK

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
n4546v(at)mindspring.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Continental front crank seal sealant Reply with quote

I've always considered Hylomar a high level blue rtv. It sets but doesn't
harden, I wouldn't call it a grease or use it in my wheel bearings, yuk,
yuk.
The story I got is that it was the only thing that would seal big oil leaks
on RR merlins, the big boys use it.
Randy L. Thwing, Las Vegas

do not archive

Subject: Re: Continental front crank seal sealant
Quote:

Oops, should have read all the thread before replying! The HYLOMAR seems

be a thick grease that does not really set up, I think. Great stuff.

do not archive

Dan

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
n4546v(at)mindspring.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Continental front crank seal sealant Reply with quote

So I just did a Google search and there is a website: www.hylomar.com the
following is from that site:

For anyone worrying about getting their Hylomar since Permatex stopped
carrying Hylomar HPF - Worry no more! We have huge stocks of Racing
formula, and Universal Blue AF( sic. HPF ) in stock around the world if you
cant find it at your nearest stockist just e-mail info(at)hylomar.com and give
us their contact details and we will show them the error of their ways or
find a stockist near you who is carrying Hylomar!

Sooooo..... apparently, Permatex has discontinued Hylomar in their product
line?

Regards,

Randy L. Thwing do not archive

Quote:

<n4546v(at)mindspring.com>

Quote:

I've always considered Hylomar a high level blue rtv. It sets but doesn't
harden, I wouldn't call it a grease or use it in my wheel bearings, yuk,
yuk.
The story I got is that it was the only thing that would seal big oil
leaks

Quote:
on RR merlins, the big boys use it.
Randy L. Thwing, Las Vegas

do not archive

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
archie97(at)earthlink.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Continental front crank seal sealant Reply with quote

Finding Hylomar is no problem.
Most auto speed shops carry it inasmuch as engine builders
have been using it ever since Rolls licensed its manufacture.
I have used it on aircraft engines for over ten years.

---

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
n4546v(at)mindspring.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Continental front crank seal sealant Reply with quote

Hey Archie:
Have you tried the new "racing formula", new and improved, Hylomar they
describe on their website?

Regards,

Randy L. Thwing do not archive

Quote:

Finding Hylomar is no problem.
Most auto speed shops carry it inasmuch as engine builders
have been using it ever since Rolls licensed its manufacture.
I have used it on aircraft engines for over ten years.

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
archie97(at)earthlink.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Continental front crank seal sealant Reply with quote

Negative.
I have purchased it in 12 pack cans to save money.
(it is relatively expensive)
Since it goes a long way, I still have a few left.
Will try it next time.

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
n4546v(at)mindspring.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Continental front crank seal sealant Reply with quote

Hey Jim:
Threebond makes a lot of products, is this the one? From their site:

"ThreeBond 1521 is an all-round adhesive whose main component is chloroprene
synthetic rubber. It is widely used not only for soft materials such as
rubber and leather, but also for hard materials such as metals."

Regards.
Randy

Quote:

> Pliobond works good.

ThreeBond, as well.

Jim Baker
580.788.2779
Elmore City, OK

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Back to top
Jim Baker

Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Location: Sayre, PA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Continental front crank seal sealant Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey Jim:
Threebond makes a lot of products, is this the one? From their
site:

"ThreeBond 1521 is an all-round adhesive whose main component
is

Quote:
chloroprene synthetic rubber. It is widely used not only for soft
materials such as rubber and leather, but also for hard materials
such

Quote:
as metals."

Aiiieee....no! The 1521 is a contact cement.look for 1104 or 1211.
The 1104 is used on a lot of OEM assemblies from Japan to seal
crankcase halves.

http://www.threebond.co.jp/en/product/series/sealants/1100list.html

http://www.threebond.co.jp/en/product/number/index.html

I'd go with the 1104 if there aren't any large gaps. And I'd probably
not use any of the silicone based stuff. Knowing just how much of
the stuff extruded into the interior is always a worry and if any of it is
going to fall into the oil supply with deleterious effect. The 1104 is
pretty darn thin and is danged tough stuff. By no means the only
solution, just one among many tho.

Jim Baker
580.788.2779
Elmore City, OK

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Engines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours