Zenith 601/650 Upgrades, Grove Gear Mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
tigerrick(at)mindspring.c
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Zenith 601/650 Upgrades, Grove Gear Mod Reply with quote

Hi, Gang!

I just had a good conversation with Sebastien at Zenith, and got a bit more information that might be helpful when making decisions about the upcoming upgrades to the Zenith 601/650 series.

First, Sebastien estimates that the full upgrade kit will run approximately $300, not including shipping. This represents Zenith's costs in materials alone, including hardware.

Second, Zenith estimates that the net weight increase will average between 5 and 6 pounds, once the old fasteners are removed, new components are installed, and new fasteners are replaced.

Third, they've already started a blog with photos and video on "how to" accomplish the upgrade. As you can imagine, this is an ongoing work in progress, so it's being updated on a periodic basis. And yes, you can post your comments to Zenith as well. Here'e the link:

http://www.zenith.aero/profiles/blogs/installing-the-upgrade-package

Personally speaking, 5 or 6 pounds is a lot less than I was imagining after looking at the drawings, so maybe there's a bit less pressure to install the lighter weight Grove gear. On the other hand, I can't think of a better time to do it and get 10 more pounds of useful load, so I'm going to keep looking into the logistics of a group buy. As has been posted previously here, the Grove gear lists for $1347, and gun drilled brake lines adds another $100 per gear leg. Robbie Grove said we could expect a 10 to 15 percent discount off of list if we got 10 or so buyers together.

Don't forget that installing the Grove gear requires an adapter block to allow the narrower Grove gear to fit snugly in the existing gear channel, and this is manufactured by Zenair in Canada. I missed talking to them about cost and availability earlier today, but will follow up tomorrow.

Frankly, I think this is all good news from Zenith, and they deserve a lot of credit for delivering an enhancement that really strengthens the airframe, and will give us enhanced peace of mind while flying. Kudos to Chris and sons for stepping up to the challenge, and keeping the cost down to a bare minimum.

And before I forget, a big THANK YOU! to all of the veteran and current servicemen and women in our Zenith family! Without their sacrifices, we would not have the freedoms we take for granted today. Building and flying your own airplane would be nothing more than a fanciful dream...

Rick Lindstrom
Zenvair 601 N42KP

..and proud parent of a US Marine.

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Back to top
Louie928

Joined: 15 Nov 2009
Location: Mosier, OR USA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith 601/650 Upgrades, Grove Gear Mod Reply with quote

Rick,
I'll be interested in a Grove gear if I can't get the composite gear. The composite is my first choice, but I'm having trouble getting in contact with ComLet.

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List

_________________
Louis W. Ott

601XL-B Corvair
tigerrick(at)mindspring.c
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Zenith 601/650 Upgrades, Grove Gear Mod Reply with quote

I haven't totally rejected the composite gear, I'd just like to know more about it (given CZAW history with other items). Maybe someone has some history they'd like to share?

Mathieu at Zenair said he'd be willing to discount the adapter blocks for the Grove gear, if we did a group buy. He said he'd provide both side somewhere in the $150 neighborhood.

Rick

--

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Back to top
Terry Phillips

Location: Corvallis, MT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Zenith 601/650 Upgrades, Grove Gear Mod Reply with quote

That sounds like a good price to me, assuming that he is talking about the
complete CZAW attachment package. I have been collecting information on the
CZAW gear attachment. I'll attach a couple of photos that I got courtesy of
Martin Pohl. One thing that I hadn't anticipated is that there appears to
be a steel channel all the way across the bottom of fuselage. That would
probably take something away from the weight advantage of the composite
gear, but I don't know how much. Another thing is that the CZAW axle mount
includes a standoff. Presumably that is to provide a bit of separation
between the gear leg and the (potentially) hot brake disk. Note the
composite gear leg does not go inside the wheel pants, unlike the standard
aluminum gear. Hopefully, Mat would include that in the package.

Terry

At 04:08 PM 11/18/2009 -0500, you wrote:
Quote:
I haven't totally rejected the composite gear, I'd just like to know more
about it (given CZAW history with other items). Maybe someone has some
history they'd like to share?

Mathieu at Zenair said he'd be willing to discount the adapter blocks for
the Grove gear, if we did a group buy. He said he'd provide both side
somewhere in the $150 neighborhood.

Rick

Terry Phillips ZBAGer
ttp44~at~rkymtn.net
Corvallis MT
ZU-601XL/Jab 3300 s .. l .. o .. o .. w build kit - Tail & flaps are done;
Balancing the ailerons and working on the wings
http://www.mykitlog.com/N47TP/

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List

CZAW_Main_Gear_Attach_1M.jpg
 Filesize:  41.51 KB
 Viewed:  16955 Time(s)

CZAW_Main_Gear_Attach_1M.jpg

CZAW_Main_Gear_Attach_2M.jpg
 Filesize:  34.81 KB
 Viewed:  16955 Time(s)

CZAW_Main_Gear_Attach_2M.jpg

dsc02839M.jpg
 Filesize:  47.16 KB
 Viewed:  16955 Time(s)

dsc02839M.jpg

p1000243M.jpg
 Filesize:  28.74 KB
 Viewed:  16955 Time(s)

p1000243M.jpg

p1020387M.jpg
 Filesize:  40.04 KB
 Viewed:  16955 Time(s)

p1020387M.jpg

_________________
Terry Phillips
Corvallis, MT
ttp44<at>rkymtn.net
Zenith 601XL/Jab 3300 slow build kit - Tail feathers done; working on the wings.
LHusky

Joined: 19 Jun 2008
Location: Madras, Oregon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Zenith 601/650 Upgrades, Grove Gear Mod Reply with quote

I have a complete set of CZAW landing gear. I have all the attachments, wheels, wheel pants and the lightweight gold wheels that comes with the CZAW planes, front strut and everything needed to install. The steel channel your talking about is not steel. It is just a gear channel, just like the one for the standard gear. The difference is the depth of this channel. The standard channel that comes with a US kit will not work with the composite gear. A new channel will have to be made. I am looking for that channel now, or I will sell my gear and stick the Zenith gear back on. As far as any additional weight, the only attachment that is different is 2 attachments that go inside the channel and 4 aluminum stiffeners that go along the channel inside the cabin. As far as weight savings, I have both sets on hand and it is 31 lbs savings on weight. If you would like some more details on the attachments, email me off list and I will send them to you. I have pictures of the attachments and everything else.

Larry Husky
Madras, Oregon

In a message dated 11/18/2009 8:07:22 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, ttp44(at)rkymtn.net writes:
[...]

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
tigerrick(at)mindspring.c
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Zenith 601/650 Upgrades, Grove Gear Mod Reply with quote

Hi, Terry, and thanks for the photos! They really do explain what the composite gear is all about in the 601 installation. I can certainly see how this configuration saves beaucoup weight over the stock, or even Grove, metal gear.

Certainly not as visually clean an installation, what with the axle stand-off, but it's always about trade-offs, isn't it? I can't tell if the installation is all blind rivets and bolts, or if there are solid rivets through the outer brackets.

Thanks again for taking the time to elevate the discussion. I learn something new here every day.

Rick

do not archive

--

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Back to top
LHusky

Joined: 19 Jun 2008
Location: Madras, Oregon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Zenith 601/650 Upgrades, Grove Gear Mod Reply with quote

No solid rivets. It attaches the same way the Zenith attachments attach per the CZAW plans.

Larry Husky
Madras, Oregon

In a message dated 11/18/2009 8:39:50 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, tigerrick(at)mindspring.com writes:
Quote:
--> Zenith601-List message posted by: Rick Lindstrom <tigerrick(at)mindspring.com>

Hi, Terry, and thanks for the photos! They really do explain what the composite gear is all about in the 601 installation. I can certainly see how this configuration saves beaucoup weight over the stock, or even Grove, metal gear.

Certainly not as visually clean an installation, what with the axle stand-off, but it's always about trade-offs, isn't it? I can't tell if the installation is all blind rivets and bolts, or if there are solid rivets through the outer brackets.

Thanks again for taking the time to elevate the discussion. I learn something new here every day.

Rick

do not archive

That sounds like a good price to me, assuming that he is talking about the
complete CZAW attachment package. I have been collecting information on the
CZAW gear attachment. I'll attach a couple of photos that I got courtesy of
Martin Pohl. One thing that I hadn't anticipated is that there appears to
be a steel channel all the way across the bottom of fuselage. That would
probably take something away from the weight advantage of the composite
gear, but I don't know how much. Another thing is that the CZAW axle mount
includes a standoff. Presumably that is to provide a bit of separation
between the gear leg and the (potentially) hot brake disk. Note the
composite gear leg does not go inside the wheel pants, unlike the standard
aluminum gear. Hopefully, Mat would include that in the package.

Terry

At 04:08 PM 11/18/2009 -0500, you wrote:
>I haven't totally rejected the composite gear, I'd just like to know more
>about it (given CZAW history with other items). Maybe someone has some
>history they'd like to share?
>
>Mathieu at Zenair said he'd be willing to discount the adapter blocks for
>the Grove gear, if we did a group buy. He said he'd provide both side
>somewhere in the $150 neighborhood.
>
>Rick
Terry Phillips ZBAGer
ttp44~at~rkymtn.net
Corvallis MT
ZU-601XL/Jab 3300 s .. l .. o .. o .. w build kit - Tail & flaps are done;
Balancing the ailerons and working on the wings
http://www.mykitlog.com/N47TP/ ========================; nbsp; (And Get Some AWESOME FREE to find Gifts tric re b k you for p; -Matt Dralle, List ======================== Use the ties Day ================================================ - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS ==================================================

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
dougsire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Zenith 601/650 Upgrades, Grove Gear Mod Reply with quote

If you have never seen it before, there is an interesting video on the Grove site of a drop test simulating a hard (probably extremely hard) landing, http://www.groveaircraft.com/landing_gear.html. What I find interesting is how the Grove gear dissipates the energy by deflecting down in the middle. If you have two separate legs, then somehow the fuselage would have to absorb that energy.

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List

_________________
Doug Sire 601XL
Do Not Archive
pavel569

Joined: 21 Dec 2007

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Zenith 601/650 Upgrades, Grove Gear Mod Reply with quote

Actually, last Friday I've sent an email to the Czech company that makes the gear - Comlet.cz to ask for prices, pictures, drawings, specifications etc. So far no answer. I've even tried to call them today but no one at the company picks up the phone. Sad

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List

_________________
Pavel
CA
Zodiac 601XL
Stratus Subaru EA-81
Tail, flaps, ailerons, wings, fuselage, canopy done ...
"do not archive"
jfowler120(at)verizon.net
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Zenith 601/650 Upgrades, Grove Gear Mod Reply with quote

While the Grove gear may do a great job in a hard landing, the real problem
with the 601XL is when the nose gear whacks down in a hard landing. I say
that having done so -- and had plenty of firewall and stiffener damage. As
an aside -- check the phenolic block at the bottom of the nose gear strut
every 50 hours or so. If there is a fore and aft elongation there have been
some landings that the nose gear didn't take too well.

Karl

If you have never seen it before, there is an interesting video on the
Grove site of a drop test simulating a hard (probably extremely hard)
landing, http://www.groveaircraft.com/landing_gear.html. What I find
interesting is how the Grove gear dissipates the energy by deflecting down
in the middle. If you have two separate legs, then somehow the fuselage
would have to absorb that energy.

--------
Doug Sire 601XL
Do Not Archive

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 73738#273738

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours