XS cowling ftting

mp.gamble(at)tiscali.co.u
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: XS cowling ftting Reply with quote

With engine orientated correctly (1.5* to stb) the top cowling overlaps the firewall as expected but to the extent that the rearmost slot of the outlet vents also half overlap the joggle.
I shall have to grind off the moulding and blank this vent off to fit the cowling.
Can I consider this par for the course or have I fallen into some trap that those who have gone before can reveal?
Thanks chaps.

Mike Gamble
XS mono 440

nwcmc(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: XS cowling ftting Reply with quote

This is the first I have heard of such a significant overlap. To avoid a
potential major error take time to check your cowl fitting thoroughly.
The limitation of the fore-aft position of the cowl is determined by the
spinner backplate. I haven't got the manual with me at the moment so I
cannot refresh my memory as to the instructions provided. However I
remember Ian Rickard came up with a design for a small jig which was
temporarily fitted to the prop flange. This defined the position of the
cowl and provided a temporary support for it whilst the rear edges were
measured and trimmed. I described a technique for measuring and trimming
which was published in the Europa Flyer about 9 months ago along with
other firewall forward tips. You might find this useful if you look it
up.

As a quick cross check if you were to temporarily fit the spinner and
position the top cowl so it clears it by about 5mm you could then see
approximately the amount of overlap you need to trim.

Regards

Nigel Charles

flyinggpa(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: XS cowling ftting Reply with quote

Mike

The cowling is positioned reference the propeller. I made mine fit the 914S flange and then found out the Airmaster required a little different fit.

I suggest you rethink the fit. It sounds to me you have missed something.

Cliff Shaw
1041 Euclid ave.
Edmonds, WA 98020
425 776 5555
http://www.europaowners.org/WileE

hagargs(at)earthlink.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: XS cowling ftting Reply with quote

Mike:

My cowl is just like this probably 1/3 to 1/2 overlap. No problem, most
of my gill vents are blocked off on purpose. I don't want a bunch of air
blowing out over the top of the engine and out those gills. The air needs
to go down over the cylinders. So basically my last gill slot is ground
away where there is interference with the overlap, the air exits here and
the second to the last gill slot is open all the way. The rest have not
been opened up. You look into the last slot and mostly what you see is
the the overlap area. In my case I consider it a non issue.

Steve Hagar
A143
Mesa, AZ

Calling DAR's to get ready for airworthyness cert.

Steve Hagar
hagargs(at)earthlink.net
Quote:
With engine orientated correctly (1.5* to stb) the top cowling overlaps
the firewall as expected but to the extent that the rearmost slot of the

outlet vents also half overlap the joggle.
Quote:
I shall have to grind off the moulding and blank this vent off to fit the
cowling.

Quote:
Can I consider this par for the course or have I fallen into some trap
that those who have gone before can reveal?

Quote:
Thanks chaps.

Mike Gamble
XS mono 440

mp.gamble(at)tiscali.co.u
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: XS cowling ftting Reply with quote

Quote:
With engine orientated correctly (1.5* to stb) the top cowling overlaps
the firewall as expected but to the extent that the rearmost slot of the

outlet vents also half overlap the joggle.

It seems that I am not entirely alone with this problem.
I shall wait for the arrival of my prop kit and check against the spinner
rather than just set up the 1 inch clearance from the front of the prop
flange as demanded in the manual.

Thanks gentlemen

Mike Gamble
XS mono 440