Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CHT update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> LycomingEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: CHT update Reply with quote

After monkeying with my #1 cylinder blockoff plate (too many times), I ended up with a removeable plate about 3/4" tall on the outboard side gradually sloping to about 1-1/2" on the inboard side.

The cruise CHTs are within 10 degrees from highest to lowest and within 5 degrees of the average and run between 330 and 370. FWIW, cruise EGT's are within 20 degrees from highest to lowest and within 10 degrees of average and run between 1150 and 1250.

Climbing and descending get a little out of kilter - but stay within limits.

So everyone knows the environment....:

RV6A with larger main tires and 5x5 nosewheel tire and fork (grass strip)
AerosportPower IO360B1F6 (180hp)
9.2:1 pistons
AFP injection (updraft)
LASAR ignition (with CHT sender in alternate location to facilitate diagnostics)
Vetterman dual crossover heater-mufflers
SamJames Cowl and plenum (newer intake box)
AFS3400EM providing engine diagnostic data

On to more test flying,
Ralph

- The Matronics LycomingEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
Ollie Washburn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: CHT update Reply with quote

Ralph,

Did you make your own nose wheel fork?

Ollie
6A & S7S

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 11:36 AM, Ralph E. Capen <recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> LycomingEngines-List message posted by: "Ralph E. Capen" <recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)>

After monkeying with my #1 cylinder blockoff plate (too many times), I ended up with a removeable plate about 3/4" tall on the outboard side gradually sloping to about 1-1/2" on the inboard side.

The cruise CHTs are within 10 degrees from highest to lowest and within 5 degrees of the average and run between 330 and 370.  FWIW, cruise EGT's are within 20 degrees from highest to lowest and within 10 degrees of average and run between 1150 and 1250.

AFP injection (updraft)
LASAR ignition (with CHT sender in alternate location to facilitate diagnostics)

On to more test flying,
Ralph

===========
nes-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: CHT update Reply with quote

I'll answer this one off-line so as not to confuse the subject

--

mcculleyja(at)starpower.n

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: CHT update Reply with quote

Your results are similar to mine with a standard Lyc O-360 and standard
production piston compression ratios.

Can you comment on the various dimensions you experimented with prior to
the ones with 3/4" outboard end and 1-1/2" inboard end, as related to
the temperatures they created? Any pics available? Also, what actual
temperatures are you seeing in climb that you referred to as being "a
little out of kilter--but stay within limits"?

Jim McCulley
============================================================================================================

Ralph E. Capen wrote:
Quote:

The cruise CHTs are within 10 degrees from highest to lowest and within 5 degrees of the average and run between 330 and 370. FWIW, cruise EGT's are within 20 degrees from highest to lowest and within 10 degrees of average and run between 1150 and 1250.

AFP injection (updraft)

On to more test flying,
Ralph

recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: CHT update Reply with quote

Forwarded without attachments - if someone wants them contact me directly.....

-----Forwarded Message-----
[quote]From: "Ralph E. Capen" <recapen(at)earthlink.net>
Sent: Jul 20, 2009 3:56 PM
To: lycoming engine list <lycomingengines-list(at)matronics.com>
Cc: mcculleyja(at)starpower.net
Subject: Re: CHT update

Here's a picture of what I started with. I did not change the width - only the height - and I tried to
maintain the profile of the cylinder head as I shortened it.

At first, I took off 1/16" - not seeing any results.....one of the posters verbally whacked me on the head....
I removed it completely to see the difference (and made it removeable for iterative maintenance). I flew
once without it. Then, I put it back on with 7/16" more removed and got some satisfaction. Whacked
another 3/16" to get real close - then I took about 1/16" more from the thicker (inboard) side.

The spreadsheet represents a two-part flight - the first part I was trying to lean the engine a bit and the
#3 started going up. The second part had a pretty long cruise segment where the CHT's stayed pretty
much together. The climbs and descents are where they got out of kilter in my opinion.

Maybe, it is a gozillionth of an inch too small now.....

Hope this helps

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> LycomingEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: