914 Backfiring

hagargs(at)earthlink.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: 914 Backfiring Reply with quote

I have run the engine several times in the driveway. This weekend I have run it fully cowled up to check temperatures. Things looked good at leat for the length of time I ran it without disturbing the neighbors too much. I had several comments to the fact that "at least its not as loud as a Harley". So I guess I am OK as there are several of them in the neighborhood. Had to re-adjust the throttle stop to find a happy medium between having the choke circuit work upon starting and high rpm level required to keep the gearbox from chattering. 1700 rpm seems to be about it.

However the only fault discernable the 5 times or so that I ran it was that I got a backfire of one loud pop every time I stopped the engine. This did not happen on the previous runs. I stopped the engine per the Rotax tech"s suggestion of turning one mag off first then killing the engine finally off the remaining mag. Has anyone seen this on their 914?

I have posted some photos of N40SH A143 on the builder's log on the builder's gallery it is the last album with 8 photos. It is untitled as I had some problems naming it. Hope to be flying before it gets too hot.

Steve Hagar
A143 Mesa, AZ
Steve Hagar
hagargs(at)earthlink.net

Horizonspace(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: 914 Backfiring Reply with quote

In a message dated 3/27/2006 10:07:13 P.M. Central Standard Time,
hagargs(at)earthlink.net writes:

[...]

We always shut our 914 down by turning both mags off at the same time. The
only time we got a backfire was when we were running too lean. The mags are
timed differently so depending on which one you shut down first, your engine
may not be running with the proper mixture. Also, the owner's manual has
this to say "Allow a cooling run of at least 1 min. as an engine shut-off at
high temperature is especially harmful for the turbo charger. Carburizing oil
might block the oil supply and firing in the muffler can occur."

Tam

CraigEllison

Location: Silverton, OR USA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: 914 Backfiring Reply with quote

Steve,

Not sure I can be much help but I did get the same one loud pop on shut down
when doing engine testing but only when the CHT was near redline. I had
problems with overtemp while idle running fully cowled and ended up
fabricating a cowl flap. Now that the CHT/water temp. stay lower I haven't
had and repeats.

craig ellison
A205/N205CN
Silverton, OR

SPurpura(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: 914 Backfiring Reply with quote

SOUNDS LIKE CARBS MAY BE OUT OF SYNC,TRY THE CARB BALANCING KIT FROM LOCKWOOD.

hagargs(at)earthlink.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: 914 Backfiring Reply with quote

Have balanced the carbs with a dual mercury manometers about 3 months ago
may have to reverify since I have been fooling around in there quite a bit
however.

Steve

Steve Hagar
hagargs(at)earthlink.net
Quote:
SOUNDS LIKE CARBS MAY BE OUT OF SYNC,TRY THE CARB BALANCING KIT FROM
LOCKWOOD.

flyinggpa(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: 914 Backfiring Reply with quote

All

I have not found that backfiring is caused by anything but muffler to header pipe separation. That said (and I have proved it to my satisfaction) I think the backfire on shut down is not a problem. If the mag switch is being used in steps that would make things just right for this to happen. I do not shut down that way.

I shut down after taxiing home with a little "kick" of the throttle to go to about 3000 RPM then down to 1800 and off with both mags quick. Seems to work for me.
Cliff Shaw
1041 Euclid ave.
Edmonds, WA 98020
425 776 5555