HT leads Correction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
tomjohnson(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: HT leads Correction Reply with quote

I should have been more careful when I said "noise".

My radios are absolutely crystal clear 99.9% of the time
Whoever installed the GNC250 used -58 antenna wire and the existing Russian antenna.
Since installing the "West Coast" version of the wire package and the phenolic mag cover seal I still have perfect radio reception and transmission.

Now. . what does happen when VERY far away . . .from a VERY weak station you can hear a very faint buzz in the background ONLY if the squelch is broken.
So for instance when trying to talk to MCAS Yuma from 50 miles north and they are coming in VERY weakly and you manually break squelch . . .
you can hear this faint buzz.
That's all.  Not a big deal, and Dennis I would be surprised if you didn't find the same thing on your kit, seeing as the wire is the same.

In normal x-country, formation, ACM (<--doesn't do that). . .you never know the difference.

Would be cool if the -142 got rid of that.
I have VERY low tolerance for anything but perfection in radios.

Tj
---------------------------
Thomas Johnson
Airpower Insurance, LLC
36 West Ocotillo Road
Phoenix, AZ  85013-1235
Tel:  602-628-2701
Fax:  623-321-5843
E:  tomjohnson(at)cox.net

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.co
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: HT leads Correction Reply with quote

That makes better sense TJ.
Dennis

[quote] ---

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
BitterlichMG(at)cherrypoi
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: HT leads Correction Reply with quote

The 142 might not get rid of it Tom, but it is a move in the right direction.  RG-58 should not be allowed in aircraft.  It is junk of the highest order.

Don't you have any left from what I sent you for the GPS?

Mark

--

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
brian

Location: Sacramento, California, USA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: HT leads Correction Reply with quote

Bitterlich GS11 Mark G wrote:
Quote:
The 142 might not get rid of it Tom, but it is a move in the right
direction. RG-58 should not be allowed in aircraft. It is junk of the
highest order.

Well, it depends on whose RG-52 you get. The good stuff has 97%
shielding with tinned braid. The cheap stuff has about 70% shielding and
copper braid. You get what you pay for.

Also, you have a choice of solid polyethylene or foamed polyethylene
dielectric. The foamed stuff is lower-loss and works better at first but
eventually absorbs moisture which increases loss. The foamed poly stuff
actually outperforms RG-142 initially.

I managed to find some surplus military RG-58 that is silver plated and
double shielded. Nice stuff, almost as nice as RG-142. I still have
about 100' of it and wouldn't hesitate to use it in wiring an aircraft.

--
Brian Lloyd 361 Catterline Way
brian-yak at lloyd dot com Folsom, CA 95630

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

_________________
Brian Lloyd
brian-yak at lloyd dot com
+1.916.367.2131 (voice) +1.270.912.0788 (fax)

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
BitterlichMG(at)cherrypoi
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: HT leads Correction Reply with quote

Mark Bitterlich wrote:
Quote:
> The 142 might not get rid of it Tom, but it is a move in the right
> direction.  RG-58 should not be allowed in aircraft.  It is junk of the
> highest order.
Brian Lloyd replied:

Quote:
Well, it depends on whose RG-52 you get. The good stuff has 97%
shielding with tinned braid. The cheap stuff has about 70% shielding and
copper braid. You get what you pay for.
It is very difficult to get quality RG-58 coax Brian, and I am sure you know that! [smile]  Even MILSPEC RG-58 is not advisable for use in aircraft.  On that note, let me add that a lot of companies producing GPS devices for aircraft specify that as a MINIMUM RG-142 be used, and they will not honor the warranty should you choose to use it.  But HEY.......

Quote:
Also, you have a choice of solid polyethylene or foamed polyethylene
dielectric. The foamed stuff is lower-loss and works better at first but
eventually absorbs moisture which increases loss. The foamed poly stuff
actually outperforms RG-142 initially.
Yes you do (have lots of choices).  The straight Poly E at 125 Mhz and 15 feet went up another .2 Db from .6 for RG-142 to .8 for RG-58.  I am glad you are not advising anyone to use foam Poly in an aircraft.  Talk about center conductor migration, not to mention moisture absorption. Junk....

Quote:
I managed to find some surplus military RG-58 that is silver plated and
double shielded. Nice stuff, almost as nice as RG-142. I still have
about 100' of it and wouldn't hesitate to use it in wiring an aircraft.
Yeah, it is called RG-223 (not RG-5Cool and I would not hesitate to use it either, except that once again... in overly warm quarters, it will have a migrating center conductor. That is why we pulled it OUT of most new military aircraft.. if you need some more, let me know.

Heck, we might as well go to Andrews SuperFlex Heliax.  :-0)
Mark Bitterlich
N50YK

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
brian

Location: Sacramento, California, USA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: HT leads Correction Reply with quote

Bitterlich GS11 Mark G wrote:

Quote:
Yes you do (have lots of choices). The straight Poly E at 125 Mhz and
15 feet went up another .2 Db from .6 for RG-142 to .8 for RG-58. I am
glad you are not advising anyone to use foam Poly in an aircraft. Talk
about center conductor migration, not to mention moisture absorption.
Junk....

>I managed to find some surplus military RG-58 that is silver plated and
>double shielded. Nice stuff, almost as nice as RG-142. I still have
>about 100' of it and wouldn't hesitate to use it in wiring an aircraft.

Yeah, it is called RG-223 (not RG-5Cool

Ah, I always wondered what that stuff was called. No one ever seemed to
know but it walked, talked, and tasted like RG-58 so that is what I
called it.

Quote:
and I would not hesitate to use it
either, except that once again... in overly warm quarters, it will have
a migrating center conductor. That is why we pulled it OUT of most new
military aircraft.. if you need some more, let me know.

Sure! I use it in my ham station where I would otherwise use RG-58,
mostly for patch cables and temporary antenna installations.

Quote:
Heck, we might as well go to Andrews SuperFlex Heliax. :-0)

I use that stuff in my VSAT installations as a jumper to the feed horn.

Mark, you are being pedantic. And speaking as the resident pedant, We
are not amused! Smile

--
Brian Lloyd 361 Catterline Way
brian-yak at lloyd dot com Folsom, CA 95630
+1.916.367.2131 (voice) +1.270.912.0788 (fax)

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

_________________
Brian Lloyd
brian-yak at lloyd dot com
+1.916.367.2131 (voice) +1.270.912.0788 (fax)

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
BitterlichMG(at)cherrypoi
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: HT leads Correction Reply with quote

Brian Lloyd replied:
Quote:
>  >I managed to find some surplus military RG-58 that is silver plated and
>  >double shielded. Nice stuff, almost as nice as RG-142. I still have
>  >about 100' of it and wouldn't hesitate to use it in wiring an aircraft.
>
> Yeah, it is called RG-223 (not RG-5Cool
Ah, I always wondered what that stuff was called. No one ever seemed to
know but it walked, talked, and tasted like RG-58 so that is what I
called it.
Brian, if it is indeed RG-223, you'll know it by it's O.D. of 0.211 versus

0.195 for RG-58.  That means you will have to use a UG-176 reducer instead of
a UG-175 when using standard UHF connectors.
Quote:
> military aircraft.. if you need some more, let me know.
Sure! I use it in my ham station where I would otherwise use RG-58,
mostly for patch cables and temporary antenna installations.
Me too.  It beats RG-142 when you need flexibility.  Good for duplexers too.

I also have some RG-393 laying around (a spool I think) that is basically RG-214
but again with Teflon dielectric.  Consider RG-393 to RG-214, as RG-142 is to RG-223.
Sadly, I have very little RG-214 left.  How much do you want?  (Let's take this off list)
Quote:
Mark, you are being pedantic. And speaking as the resident pedant, We
are not amused! Smile
Well consider me to be just a lowly Apprentice.  I can never lead, only follow.

Oh Master Jedi ......    Smile

Mark Bitterlich

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours