Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ignition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wild.blue(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: ignition Reply with quote

Ladies, Gents and Dennis--

Recently acquired a Yak-55M with automotive ignition installed. As
advertised, it starts and runs great. Sparks is sparks. Not impressed by
the way the wires enter the mag, wrapped in friction tape etc., but maybe
that can be remedied. Dennis, your website doesn't get very specific about
how the wires are supposed to be sealed at the mag. Suggestions? Pictures?
I do wonder about exposed plug porcelain out in the breeze, rain, snow etc.
Anyone ever have any cracked porcelains? Other problems? Wire/plug life?
Not usually big on shadetree engineering (no offense)--I've seen too many
simple" mods and minor maintenance faux pas lead to unexpected and sometimes
serious problems--but trying to be open-minded...Yes, I know all about A-40
s etc.

Fate is still out there hunting, donchaknow. Checksix, cloaking device
activated.

Jerry Painter

Designated Stick-in-the-Mud

Wild Blue Aviation

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
jsfox(at)adelphia.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: ignition Reply with quote

Jerry,

Not sure I'd keep the friction tape just ugly and useless. I'd remove
and put a zip tie around the wires just forward of where they enter
the mag. As far as sealing the mag, I agree with Dennis on this, no
need. The Russian wire weren't sealed at this point either. The hose
the old wires went through was a porous as a sieve. In fact a friend
who has a 52 with Russian wires had his engine hosed down, ugh. The
water collected in the ignition wires causing some rather significant
mag drops. It took him forever to disconnect all the wires drain and
dry. This wouldn't have been an issue with the auto ignition harness.
Also if you look closely at where the wires enter the mag they go in
very tightly not leaving a lot of space for moisture to migrate. And
should a bit get through and I think you'd have to be flying in a
driving rain with gills wide open engine heat would evaporate long
before it became an issue.

Just my thoughts,

Steve Fox

On Mar 23, 2006, at 3:00 PM, Jerry Painter wrote:

Quote:

<wild.blue(at)verizon.net>

Ladies, Gents and Dennis--

Recently acquired a Yak-55M with automotive ignition installed. As
advertised, it starts and runs great. Sparks is sparks. Not
impressed by
the way the wires enter the mag, wrapped in friction tape etc., but
maybe
that can be remedied. Dennis, your website doesn't get very
specific about
how the wires are supposed to be sealed at the mag. Suggestions?
Pictures?
I do wonder about exposed plug porcelain out in the breeze, rain,
snow etc.
Anyone ever have any cracked porcelains? Other problems? Wire/
plug life?
Not usually big on shadetree engineering (no offense)--I've seen
too many
simple" mods and minor maintenance faux pas lead to unexpected and
sometimes
serious problems--but trying to be open-minded...Yes, I know all
about A-40
s etc.

Fate is still out there hunting, donchaknow. Checksix, cloaking
device
activated.

Jerry Painter

Designated Stick-in-the-Mud

Wild Blue Aviation

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

gus.fraser(at)gs.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: ignition Reply with quote

I agree that it is not needed but I did use some Silone sealer where I could
see gaps.

Gus

--

cpayne(at)joimail.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: ignition Reply with quote

SOB wrote:
>
>As far as sealing the mag, I agree with Dennis on this, no  need.
>
>
Unhh, I beg to differ here, moisture anywhere near the distributor cap sparkies is not good. Like Gus, I used silicone seal plus self-bonding tape around the wires. Problems inside the distributor cap and rotor are often mis-attributed to mag timing, mag coil breakdown or high voltage leaks in the harness. What happens is that excess carbon builds up "downwind"  of each individual spark contact and timing advance is skewed. A little moisture and there are new paths for high voltage to find it's way to ground.

Take care of the HV side of your system: points, "cigarette", rotor, distributor cap, leads and spark plugs. Your reward will be smooth runnings, dude.

Craig Payne

jsfox(at)adelphia.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: ignition Reply with quote

On Mar 23, 2006, at 5:27 PM, Craig Payne wrote:
Quote:
Unhh, I beg to differ here, moisture anywhere near the distributor cap sparkies is not good. Like Gus, I used silicone seal plus self-bonding tape around the wires. Problems inside the distributor cap and rotor are often mis-attributed to mag timing, mag coil breakdown or high voltage leaks in the harness. What happens is that excess carbon builds up "downwind"  of each individual spark contact and timing advance is skewed. A little moisture and there are new paths for high voltage to find it's way to ground.

Take care of the HV side of your system: points, "cigarette", rotor, distributor cap, leads and spark plugs. Your reward will be smooth runnings, dude.

Craig Payne

No need to beg. You have every right to differ Smile

Steve

dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.co

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: ignition Reply with quote

I agree with Gus' recommendation and with Stephen analysis.
Dennis

---

BitterlichMG(at)cherrypoi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: ignition Reply with quote

Quote:
SOB wrote:
As far as sealing the mag, I agree with Dennis on this, no  need.

Craig Payne replied:.   

Mark Bitterlich now adds:  Although I agree with you in theory Craig, of note is the fact that I have three aircraft with M-14's here at New Bern, NC with this mod and none of them have used any sealer on the wire output hole of the mag itself and have experienced absolutely no problems what-so-ever. 

On the same note of "begging to differ", here are some other considerations:

1.  Certain types of silicone sealer give off a corrosive gas when drying, which spells BAD NEWS for any electrical circuit, not to mention high voltage ones. 
2.  When you have a totally sealed high voltage environment, the sparking within the divide ionizes the gases inside as well.  This ionization can sometimes promote unplanned for high voltage arcing.  It is a good idea to vent high voltage enclosures, unless you either pump out all the air, or replace it with something like water pumped nitrogen. 

Certainly, water penetration into the mag would be a disaster... but even with that plug wire outlet on the mag left alone, water intrusion into that area is highly unlikely given it's location and past performance,  not to mention how the wires go into the top of the cap while the rotor and all other high voltage areas are underneath.  

To each his own, but there are certainly arguments for either.   

Mark Bitterlich

dstroud(at)storm.ca

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: ignition Reply with quote

Giday, Craig. I haven't had time to dig into my mags yet...just got my Housai today from VAM
and I'm curious what the cigarette is. I'll definitely go auto on the ignition stuff. Thanks..

David Stroud   Ottawa, Canada
C-FDWS  Christavia
Fairchild 51 early construction
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: ignition Reply with quote

Many people refer to the high voltage lead that fits into the hole at the rear of the magneto cap (where all the spark plug wires go into) as the "cigarette".  It is about the size of a pencil.
Dennis

[quote] ---

cgalley(at)qcbc.org

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: ignition Reply with quote

Sorry, It is a WW2 term for the Sparkplug end that fits down inside the plug.  They were made of white porcelain so they looked like a cigarette butt.

Cy Galley - Chair,
Air Emergency Aircraft Repair
A Service Project of Chapter 75
EAA Safety Programs Editor - TC
EAA Sport Pilot
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: ignition Reply with quote

That is also quite true Cy.  But some folks use the term "cigarette" interchangeably with the lead that goes into the spark plug with the high voltage lead that inserts into the magneto cap.
Dennis

[quote] ---

gus.fraser(at)gs.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: ignition Reply with quote

And the Russians call spark plugs candles !

Gus

[quote] From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of cgalley
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2006 8:17 AM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Re: ignition

Sorry, It is a WW2 term for the Sparkplug end that fits down inside the plug.  They were made of white porcelain so they looked like a cigarette butt.

Cy Galley - Chair,
Air Emergency Aircraft Repair
A Service Project of Chapter 75
EAA Safety Programs Editor - TC
EAA Sport Pilot
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: