Aileron deflection angle

asarangan(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Aileron deflection angle Reply with quote

When attaching the ailerons to the wing, the manual calls for 25-deg up
and 22-deg down (for a final travel of 23.5-deg up and 20-deg down).

I don't have any problem with the 22-deg down, in fact, mine goes down
as far as 35-deg. But the up-swing is only about 20-deg. This is after
drilling holes for the anchor nuts to enter the leading edge of the
aileron.

I am not sure how to get another 5-degrees. The manual does not address
this issue. Is there something I am missing??

Andrew Sarangan
http://www.sarangan.org

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Aileron deflection angle Reply with quote

Andrew,
Adjust the aileron bell crank settings to get the required displacements. I
think the manual does mention this at the end.
Cheers,
Tim
Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8005
New Zealand.
Ph +64 3 3515166
Mobile 021 0640221
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

Troy Maynor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Aileron deflection angle Reply with quote

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

When attaching the ailerons to the wing, the manual calls for 25-deg up
and 22-deg down (for a final travel of 23.5-deg up and 20-deg down).

I don't have any problem with the 22-deg down, in fact, mine goes down
as far as 35-deg. But the up-swing is only about 20-deg. This is after
drilling holes for the anchor nuts to enter the leading edge of the
aileron.

I am not sure how to get another 5-degrees. The manual does not address
this issue. Is there something I am missing??

Andrew Sarangan
http://www.sarangan.org>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Andrew,

I think shortening or lengthening the rod going through the wing will change
the setting. However, be aware that the mechanical stop that the bell crank
hits,(not the counter weight)is the limit for the opposite aileron. It was
an exercise in patience for me to say the least.

Troy Maynor
N120EU Europa Monowheel Classic
Left to finish:
Paint,interior,engine install, wiring.
Weaverville, NC USA

asarangan(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Aileron deflection angle Reply with quote

Jeremy,

That is exactly right. I am referring to the deflection without the
pushrods attached.

The gap between the hinged surfaces is more than the 1.5mm called for
in the manual; however, I have not checked whether that's where the
deflection is being restricted.
I am assuming the neutral position (zero-degrees) to be when the
aileron is aligned with the trailing edge of the wingtip. I think that
makes sense because that would make the most streamlined situation to
be zero-degrees.

--- Jeremy Davey <europaflyer_3(at)msn.com> wrote:

Quote:

<europaflyer_3(at)msn.com>

I think what Andrew's saying is not that the pushrods won't allow him
the
movement, but that the aileron is fouling on the wing when he tries
to get
up deflection with the pushrods disconnected.

Andrew, it sounds to me like you need to check the following:

1) the positioning of your hinges - are they too close in?
2) your start point for zero degrees deflection - are you starting
from a
few degrees out?

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Jeremy

Jeremy Davey
Europa Monowheel 537M G-EZZA
Europa Club Vice-Chairman, Webmaster, PFA NC Representative
PFA EC Member
"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, then
it is
possible you haven't grasped the severity of the situation."
Tail done
Standard XS wings with mods underway
CM installed in fuse (with airbrakes fittings)
1430 build hours to date, build currently stalled due to house moves
and
lack of workshop
Intended fit:
Rotax 914 turbo, Airmaster CS fully-feathering prop
Lots of lights, buttons, switches, gizmos, and alarms

Andrew Sarangan
http://www.sarangan.org

asarangan(at)YAHOO.COM
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Aileron deflection angle Reply with quote

OK, I figured out where the aileron is getting snagged. It is rubbing
against the top surface of the aileron closeout (which is on the
trailing edge of the wing) throughout its entire range of motion. This
is what is restricting its max travel to 20-degrees. I can even see
where this rubbing pressure has even lifted portions of the closeout
skin that used to be bonded to the sides at the root end of this
closeout.

One solution is to trim about 5mm from the closeout's upper lip.
However, I am not sure if this will cause any problems when bonding the
top skin on. Any ideas are appreciated.
--- Andrew Sarangan <asarangan(at)yahoo.com> wrote:

Quote:

<asarangan(at)yahoo.com>

Jeremy,

That is exactly right. I am referring to the deflection without the
pushrods attached.

The gap between the hinged surfaces is more than the 1.5mm called for
in the manual; however, I have not checked whether that's where the
deflection is being restricted.
I am assuming the neutral position (zero-degrees) to be when the
aileron is aligned with the trailing edge of the wingtip. I think
that
makes sense because that would make the most streamlined situation to
be zero-degrees.

--- Jeremy Davey <europaflyer_3(at)msn.com> wrote:

> <europaflyer_3(at)msn.com>
>
> I think what Andrew's saying is not that the pushrods won't allow
him
> the
> movement, but that the aileron is fouling on the wing when he tries
> to get
> up deflection with the pushrods disconnected.
>
> Andrew, it sounds to me like you need to check the following:
>
> 1) the positioning of your hinges - are they too close in?
> 2) your start point for zero degrees deflection - are you starting
> from a
> few degrees out?
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Kind regards,
> Jeremy
>
> Jeremy Davey
> Europa Monowheel 537M G-EZZA
> Europa Club Vice-Chairman, Webmaster, PFA NC Representative
> PFA EC Member
> "If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs,
then
> it is
> possible you haven't grasped the severity of the situation."
> Tail done
> Standard XS wings with mods underway
> CM installed in fuse (with airbrakes fittings)
> 1430 build hours to date, build currently stalled due to house
moves
> and
> lack of workshop
> Intended fit:
> Rotax 914 turbo, Airmaster CS fully-feathering prop
> Lots of lights, buttons, switches, gizmos, and alarms

Andrew Sarangan
http://www.sarangan.org

Andrew Sarangan
http://www.sarangan.org

dglauser(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Aileron deflection angle Reply with quote

Let it rub for now. When applying the top skin, you can use mixing
sticks to provide space between the aileron and the closeout. Any
subsequent rubbing can be handled by removing a bit of the trailing
edge of the closeout.

I trimmed mine back and thought all was well. Then when it came time
to bond the top on I found I did not have enough bonding area and the
top skin was not firmly on in places. (Inspection was done with a
small "lipstick" TV camera placed in the wing through the access
panels.) I ended up having to cut more access panels, apply more
epoxy/glass and adhesive through them, reinforce the panel edges, and
reinstall the skin cutouts. A royal pain.

David

On 3/21/06, Andrew Sarangan <asarangan(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]

> > Kind regards,
> > Jeremy
> >
> > Jeremy Davey
> > Europa Monowheel 537M G-EZZA
> > Europa Club Vice-Chairman, Webmaster, PFA NC Representative
> > PFA EC Member
> > "If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs,
> then
> > it is
> > possible you haven't grasped the severity of the situation."
> > Tail done
> > Standard XS wings with mods underway
> > CM installed in fuse (with airbrakes fittings)
> > 1430 build hours to date, build currently stalled due to house
> moves
> > and
> > lack of workshop
> > Intended fit:
> > Rotax 914 turbo, Airmaster CS fully-feathering prop
> > Lots of lights, buttons, switches, gizmos, and alarms

Andrew Sarangan
http://www.sarangan.org

Roger.Mills(at)btinternet
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Aileron deflection angle Reply with quote

It might just be worth checking the Europa service bulletins - a batch of XS
wings were made with the close-out fixed too far towards the trailing edge
and this would certainly have an impact on the available deflection.

The fix is to remove the close out and re-install slightly further forward.
I forget the service bulletin number but a check with Roger or Andy at the
factory might be wise.

Regards

Roger Mills

G-BVUV

keithhickling(at)clear.ne
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Aileron deflection angle Reply with quote

Andrew,
I have just done this part too. I found the main restriction on aileron
deflection occurred where the upper aileron closeout joins the wingtip
moulding. Most of the upper closeout can move upwards a little with the
aileron, but at the tip where it is tethered it can not move. I found that
cutting forwards a few mm where the rear edge of the upper closeout joins
the tip moulding allowed sufficient upward deflection of the aileron without
having to actually trim the closeout (even though the aileron continues to
rub on the upper closeout - it is meant to do that at this stage).

Regards,
Keith

asarangan(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Aileron deflection angle Reply with quote

I wish the manual had mentioned that the rubbing motion is normal at
this stage. Any kind of rubbing would seem abnormal unless mentioned.
Also, reading ahead, I saw that you are supposed to trim the close-out
skin along with the wing skin after the top skin is bonded on.

On my wing, the main restriction to the aileron deflection is at the
root end, where the upper closeout is bonded to an end-cap. I spoke to
Andy at Europa, and he said that the end-cap is not that critical, and
I could snip the joint to relieve the pressure.
--- Keith Hickling <keithhickling(at)clear.net.nz> wrote:

[quote]
[...]

wdaniell(at)etb.net.co
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Aileron deflection angle Reply with quote

My aileron channels were too closed - apprently some came out like that.
Nev recommended that you could cut the flange to a minimum of 5/8 - although
you might want to check with Nev about that.

In the end the despite cutting back, the "closing" of the channel led to a
1/4 gap between the top skin and the channel flange. The aileron channel was
far too strong to be bent by force. So I applied heat and opene the channel
to the right proflie and then reinforced with bid.

jan.de.jong(at)xs4all.nl
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Aileron deflection angle Reply with quote

Andrew,

On the subject of making room for deflection and lining up the upper
wing skin. What Neville wrote:
http://www.sarangan.org/~sarangan/mharc/html//europa-list/2003-05/msg00052.html

Make sure not to get below the 1/2" mentioned...

Jan de Jong
461, 2nd wing