Spark plug Spanner (wrench)

alan(at)kestrel-insurance
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Spark plug Spanner (wrench) Reply with quote

Hi All
I am in the middle of doing my annual and decided to torque the spark
plugs as recommended in the manual. Problem is I cant get hold of an
18mm plug socket to go on my torque wrench (3/8 drive) that will fit
into the small space available in the Rotax cylinder head. Before I
start destroying a socket, has anyone found a source from where I can
order one?
Many Thanks

Alan

BEBERRY(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Spark plug Spanner (wrench) Reply with quote

Hi All
I am in the middle of doing my annual and decided to torque the spark
plugs as recommended in the manual. Problem is I cant get hold of an
18mm plug socket to go on my torque wrench (3/8 drive) that will fit
into the small space available in the Rotax cylinder head. Before I
start destroying a socket, has anyone found a source from where I can
order one?
Many Thanks

Alan

I am inviting caustic response here I know, but it really is not necessary
to torque a plug. I have been flying various aircraft and changing plugs for
many years and the rule -as with cars - is to do them up very little more
than finger tight and let the copper washer do its job. Never had a blow yet

Patrick

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Spark plug Spanner (wrench) Reply with quote

Hi! Alan
Suggest you get a suitable BOX spanner with the size you want at the
plug end and a smaller size the other end. Then get an old nut to fit
the small end and file out the thread to take your 3/8" drive wrench.
This has been known to work for Ivan Shaw in Stockholm ...ask him !
Regards
Bob H

Robt.C.Harrison

Ivor Phillips

Location: London UK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Spark plug Spanner (wrench) Reply with quote

Hi Alan
These people carry them, Its German so a tad dearer than home grown,
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=126785&MAN=Stahlwille-Spark-Plug-Socket-Rubber-18mm-11-16in

Europa-List message posted by: "Alan Burrows" <alan(at)kestrel-insurance.com>
Quote:

. Problem is I cant get hold of an
18mm plug socket to go on my torque wrench (3/8 drive) that will fit
into the small space available in the Rotax cylinder head.

Ivor Phillips

europa flugzeug fabrik

Joined: 13 Feb 2006
Location: North Coast, USA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug Spanner (wrench) Reply with quote

alan(at)kestrel-insurance wrote:
Problem is I cant get hold of an 18mm plug socket to go on my torque wrench (3/8 drive) that will fit into the small space available in the Rotax cylinder head.

Just shop for a cheap spark plug socket, or any deep-wall for that matter, and which don't have a hefty wall thickness. Then, if necessary, lay the thing on the open jaws of a bench vise...take your most aggressive flat file to work around the circumference...and whistle while you work. Didn't take much filing for me.

Fred F.

Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Spark plug Spanner (wrench) Reply with quote

BEBERRY(at)aol.com a crit :
Quote:

Hi All
I am in the middle of doing my annual and decided to torque the spark
plugs as recommended in the manual. Problem is I cant get hold of an
18mm plug socket to go on my torque wrench (3/8 drive) that will fit
into the small space available in the Rotax cylinder head. Before I
start destroying a socket, has anyone found a source from where I can
order one?
Many Thanks

Alan

I am inviting caustic response here I know, but it really is not necessary
to torque a plug. I have been flying various aircraft and changing plugs for
many years and the rule -as with cars - is to do them up very little more
than finger tight and let the copper washer do its job. Never had a blow yet

Patrick

Hi all,

There is nothing wrong in wanting to correctly torque spark plugs !
Now, if you search the Denso site, you'll find that *angular* torquing
is the best of the best.
I just (one hour ago) bought a 3.50 euro 18 mm plug socket in an auto
store. It has a 1/2" drive, but the 1/2 to 3/8 adaptor costs 2.50 euros
in the same store...

Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France
http://contrails.free.fr

rparigor(at)suffolk.lib.n
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Spark plug Spanner (wrench) Reply with quote

Hello Gilles

"you'll find that *angular* torquing is the best of the best"

What is *angular* torquing?

Thx.
Ron Parigoris

Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Spark plug Spanner (wrench) Reply with quote

rparigor(at)suffolk.lib.ny.us a crit :
Quote:

Hello Gilles

"you'll find that *angular* torquing is the best of the best"

What is *angular* torquing?

Hi Ron,

"Normal" torquing might lead to overtighten if the threads happen to be
coated with grease or oil, for instance. Denso recommends to hand
tighten, then to tighten one definite fraction of a turn. This way, the
corrrect tension is ensured regardless wether the threads are dry or not.
Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France
http://contrails.free.fr

philipgeorge347(at)hotmai
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Spark plug Spanner (wrench) Reply with quote

Hi Alan i think you will find the spark plugs in a 912 are 16mm 5/8 and not
18mm
or they allways used to be .

Phil George G-EORJ 912s xs
Quote:
From: "Alan Burrows" <alan(at)kestrel-insurance.com>
To: <europa-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Spark plug Spanner (wrench)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 11:30:36 -0000

<alan(at)kestrel-insurance.com>

Hi All
I am in the middle of doing my annual and decided to torque the spark
plugs as recommended in the manual. Problem is I cant get hold of an
18mm plug socket to go on my torque wrench (3/8 drive) that will fit
into the small space available in the Rotax cylinder head. Before I
start destroying a socket, has anyone found a source from where I can
order one?
Many Thanks

Alan

Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Spark plug Spanner (wrench) Reply with quote

philip george a crit :
Quote:

Hi Alan i think you will find the spark plugs in a 912 are 16mm 5/8 and not
18mm
or they allways used to be .

Yes, but the 914 uses 18 mm plugs.

Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France
http://contrails.free.fr

Horizonspace(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Spark plug Spanner (wrench) Reply with quote

In a message dated 3/20/2006 3:12:10 P.M. Central Standard Time,
Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-grenoble.fr writes:

<Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-grenoble.fr>

philip george a crit :
Quote:

<philipgeorge347(at)hotmail.com>

Quote:

Hi Alan i think you will find the spark plugs in a 912 are 16mm 5/8 and
not

Quote:
18mm
or they allways used to be .

Yes, but the 914 uses 18 mm plugs.

Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France
http://contrails.free.fr

We use a Sears Craftsman 18mm deep socket (3/8 drive) on our 914.

Tam Pho