Oil Filters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Stratus-List
k4cod(at)bellsouth.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Oil Filters Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

This may have been discussed before, and I'm just not remembering, but what
is everyone doing for oil filters; since they stopped manufacturing the
stubby Wix filters?

I just started flying my plane again after a really, really long break. It
sure feels good.

Happy Flying,
Jim Weston
CH601HDS w/Stratus
Concord, Georgia USA

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
Back to top
bryanmmartin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Oil Filters Reply with quote

A Wix (or NAPA) 57035 will fit, it's also used on some Briggs and
Stratton engines. It's the same size as the discontinued part number.
I bought a dozen earlier this year from an eBay store listing. Item
number: 270055221465. The picture in the eBay listing is wrong, but if
you look at the item page the correct picture is shown in the full
description. They list for $75/dozen but I offered him $60 and he
accepted, he might take less. NAPA filters are made by Wix.

A Fram PH8170 also looks like it will fit. Item number: 400016559846
on eBay. I haven't tried this one, I'e heard Fram filters aren't as
good as Wix.

--
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL,

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List

Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL, Stratus Subaru.
do not archive.
d3dw(at)sbcglobal.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Oil Filters Reply with quote

Hi Jim,
That is a lawn tractor filter and a number of folks make them, including John Deere and Briggs and Stratton. Hastings makes one that is reasonable priced, too. If you can't find one let me know. I have a few of the Wix.

Hastings LF 503 or Briggs and Stratton 5049

Don Walker

--> Stratus-List message posted by: "Jim Weston"
<k4cod(at)bellsouth.net>

Hello Everyone,

This may have been discussed before, and I'm just not remembering, but what
is everyone doing for oil filters; since they stopped manufacturing the
stubby Wix filters?

I just started flying my plane again after a really, really long break. It
sure feels good.

Happy Flying,
Jim Weston
CH601HDS w/Stratus
Concord, Georgia USA
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
Back to top
gkrysztopik(at)satx.rr.co
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Oil Filters Reply with quote

Welcome back to the sky. I bought a case of those filters when I heard
they were being discontinued. I don't mind selling one here and there
but it sounds like there are replacements.

Gary Krysztopik
www.ZWheelz.com
San Antonio, TX

Jim Weston wrote:
Quote:

Hello Everyone,

This may have been discussed before, and I'm just not remembering, but what
is everyone doing for oil filters; since they stopped manufacturing the
stubby Wix filters?

I just started flying my plane again after a really, really long break. It
sure feels good.

Happy Flying,
Jim Weston
CH601HDS w/Stratus
Concord, Georgia USA

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
Back to top
larry(at)macsmachine.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Oil Filters Reply with quote

Hi Jim,
Go to your Lowe's building supply store or equivalent and find the
Briggs & Stratton ELS Series Part Number 5076
This is a premium filter and it is what I use. There's a black Briggs as
well that looks the same and can be used also.

Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com

Jim Weston wrote:
Quote:

Hello Everyone,

This may have been discussed before, and I'm just not remembering, but what
is everyone doing for oil filters; since they stopped manufacturing the
stubby Wix filters?

I just started flying my plane again after a really, really long break. It
sure feels good.

Happy Flying,
Jim Weston
CH601HDS w/Stratus
Concord, Georgia USA

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
Back to top
kellymeiste(at)jcwifi.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Oil Filters Reply with quote

Hi Jim, or anyone else that is looking for the original Stratus supplied Wix
oil filter.
I purchased a case before Wix discontinued this filter (#51065). I have
switched over to a remote oil filter which take a much larger filter.
Anyway I still have 5 filters left that I will not be needing. If anyone is
interested in them drop me a email.

Kelly Meiste
601 HD Stratus 158 hours

Quote:
This may have been discussed before, and I'm just not remembering, but
what
is everyone doing for oil filters; since they stopped manufacturing the
stubby Wix filters?

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
Back to top
gkrysztopik(at)satx.rr.co
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Oil Filters Reply with quote

Kelly,

How is your remote oil filter working out? Did you add an oil cooler
too? If not, did the remote filter reduce temps at all? I wonder if
moving the filter to some cool airflow would make a noticeable
difference without the added weight and space of an oil cooler.

Gary
Kelly Meiste wrote:
Quote:

<kellymeiste(at)jcwifi.com>

Hi Jim, or anyone else that is looking for the original Stratus
supplied Wix oil filter.
I purchased a case before Wix discontinued this filter (#51065). I
have switched over to a remote oil filter which take a much larger
filter. Anyway I still have 5 filters left that I will not be
needing. If anyone is interested in them drop me a email.

Kelly Meiste
601 HD Stratus 158 hours

> This may have been discussed before, and I'm just not remembering,
> but what
> is everyone doing for oil filters; since they stopped manufacturing the
> stubby Wix filters?

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
Back to top
kellymeiste(at)jcwifi.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Oil Filters Reply with quote

Hi Gary, good to hear from you again, hope all is well.

I like the remote filter mainly for the ease of changing the filter (no more
knuckle busting). I also added the J.C. Whitney cooling fins that goes
around the filter. Adding the remote filter with the much larger canister,
plus the added lines allows me to hold an additional qt. of oil in my
engine.

My filter is now located under the passengers feet, not totally in free
moving air because it's only a few inches off the belly of the plane, but
still better than between the oil pan and muffler! I did not add an oil
cooler. My oil & water temps dropped about 5 deg each with remote filter &
fins (with air at 72 deg & cruising at 4,000 rpm my water now runs about
200, and oil around 210 at 58 psi).

Have a happy 09!

Kelly

PS. As I'm writing this my son is landing at his home in Midland TX. Guess
he didn't want to spend the winter here in the cold & snowy northern IL
(must be nice).

---

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
Back to top
andynfultz(at)bellsouth.n
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Oil Filters Reply with quote

Kelly,

Do you recall which remote oil filter kit you used? I got one and it is
certainly not an exact fit. If I recall correctly the diameter of the seal
is a little biggr than that on the original oil filter. This makes the
actual seal barely catch the inside diameter of the rubber gasket. I'm not
real comfortable and would like to find a better fitting unit. I'm not at
the hangar and I can't seem to remember exactly what brand mine is. Thanks.

Andy

--

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
Back to top
kellymeiste(at)jcwifi.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Oil Filters Reply with quote

Andy,

I purchased my remote oil filter kit from J.C. Whitney, the brand name was
"Perma Cool".
It was sold as a "universal" remote kit. It had 2 different fitting to mate
the remote adapter to my engine block (one was a very good fit if I recall).
They also supply 4 different threaded inserts to mate with the engine blocks
threaded stud which the filter spins onto. Again one was a good fit.
I've been running this setup since April of 06 with no problems or leaks.

Kelly
---

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
Back to top
gkrysztopik(at)satx.rr.co
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Oil Filters Reply with quote

I have notes that say it's a 3/4-16 thread but it would be worth
checking with a dealer or parts place first.

Gary

Kelly Meiste wrote:
[quote]
<kellymeiste(at)jcwifi.com>

Andy,

I purchased my remote oil filter kit from J.C. Whitney, the brand name
was "Perma Cool".
It was sold as a "universal" remote kit. It had 2 different fitting
to mate the remote adapter to my engine block (one was a very good fit
if I recall). They also supply 4 different threaded inserts to mate
with the engine blocks threaded stud which the filter spins onto.
Again one was a good fit.
I've been running this setup since April of 06 with no problems or leaks.

Kelly
---

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
Back to top
k4cod(at)bellsouth.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Oil Filters Reply with quote

Thanks Larry, and everyone else that responded. I had noticed the Briggs &
Stratton filters, but I wasn't sure about the quality or the pressure
handling ability, since I don't have a pressure gauge on my riding mower.

Since others are having good luck, I suppose that I'll just use the Briggs
filter the next time.

Thanks Again,
Jim Weston 601HDS

--

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
Back to top
henryroden

Location: Albuquerque

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Oil Filters Reply with quote

That may be close but everything else on the Subaru is Metric.
Henry

-- gary <gkrysztopik(at)satx.rr.com> wrote:
--> Stratus-List message posted by: gary <gkrysztopik(at)satx.rr.com>

I have notes that say it's a 3/4-16 thread but it would be worth
checking with a dealer or parts place first.

Gary

Kelly Meiste wrote:
[quote] --> Stratus-List message posted by: "Kelly Meiste"
<kellymeiste(at)jcwifi.com>

Andy,

I purchased my remote oil filter kit from J.C. Whitney, the brand name
was "Perma Cool".
It was sold as a "universal" remote kit. It had 2 different fitting
to mate the remote adapter to my engine block (one was a very good fit
if I recall). They also supply 4 different threaded inserts to mate
with the engine blocks threaded stud which the filter spins onto.
Again one was a good fit.
I've been running this setup since April of 06 with no problems or leaks.

Kelly
---

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Stratus-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours