Continental A-80 engine "Rods" question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Continental-List
n900ml(at)hotmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Continental A-80 engine "Rods" question Reply with quote

This isn't "my day."  Sorry if you get a duplicate of this message.

From: n900ml(at)hotmail.com
To: continentallist(at)matronics.com
Subject: Continental A-80 engine "Rods" question
Date: Mon C 1 Dec 2008 16:59:21 -0600

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding:0px;} .ExternalClass body.EC_hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;} My earlier post didn't have a topic (I tried to type it in on the subject line but my cursor never worked...)

Here is the direct link to my video on YouTube in regard to my father rebuilding my Continental A-80 engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O31jul0OYUI

Also attached is another picture of the engine as it was being rebuilt. My dad used feeler gauges and mics on all the components needing checking as/per the manual. We also weighed the pistons and rods (I know it isn't scientific) just to see if the components were all close in weight.

If anybody can advise on the rod-caps as in my first post/request C I'll be very appreciative.

Thanks C
Roy

Get more done C have more fun C and s/MRT/go/119642556/direct/01/">See how.Get more done C have more fun C and stay more connected with Windows Mobile®. See how.

- The Matronics Continental-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Continental-List
Back to top
hdwysong

Joined: 06 Jun 2008

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Continental A-80 engine "Rods" question Reply with quote

Quote:
The Continental Overhaul Manual states "the numbers on the rods (meaning the
casting numbers) go up as the rods are being assembled on the engine.

That "numbers go up" thing got me, too, Roy. A better way to state it
is that when your engine is installed on the aircraft (horizontal) the
numbers stamped on the connecting rods/caps will be on the top side of
the rods/caps (facing "up"). Has nothing to do with the numerical
order of the rods/caps. Also has nothing to do with which way the #'s
are oriented as long as they are on top of the rods/caps. Some of
mine faced "forward", some faced "aft"... but all were on "top" of the
rods/caps.

The order should coincide with the cylinder #'s embossed on your
crankcase or as called out in the overhaul manual. On my O-200, #1 is
closest to the crank/cam gears on the "back" of the engine (or the
"top" if you have your crankshaft bolted flange-down on an overhaul
stand).

Quote:
The crankshaft was bolted flange-down to a overhaul table C and all the nu
mbers were indeed going up.

Yup, sounds like you got bit by the "up" comment. If the #1 rod/cap
is nearest the prop flange then you may, indeed, have them installed
upside down. Check the crankcase/manual for the proper order.

Quote:
Can anybody on this list look at the attached picture and advise if the rod
caps are all supposed have the oil hole going the same direction? As anyo
ne who has rebuilt the "A" series engine knows C the rod bearings have a n
otch in them C so that they can't be installed incorrectly.

Can't see the pic but each oil orifice should point to the adjacent
connecting rod (1 to 2, 2 to 1, 3 to 4, 4 to 3). If you want to send
the pic directly to me off list I'll have a look (... and I'll return
pics of my O-200 crankshaft if you're interested).

Best of luck with it, Roy.

p.s. - Harry Fenton's site is an excellent source of info/tidbits for
your our old engines: http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/fenton.htm

- The Matronics Continental-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Continental-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Continental-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours

You cannot download files in this forum