Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VW Conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdknight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: VW Conversion Reply with quote

I am sure this has been brought up before, but the search function fails me...
At the moment, I am planning on using a Great Plains VW kit with a Culver Props FWF(mount, PSRU, prop, etc.). I have spoken to several folks, one at Can-Zac aviation and a few buddies who build RVs, and the concensus I get from them is that the auto conversions never seem to fit the bill quite like a factory built engine. Propaganda or legitimate concern? The philosophy seems to be that with the VW a failure isn't an "if" question but a "when" question. The VW with the Culver stuff seems to be a good combination, but are all of the concerns I keep hearing warranted? For you guys who fly behind an auto conversion, do they give the advertised STOL capability with the reliability of, say, a Rotax? thanks.

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
larry(at)macsmachine.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: VW Conversion Reply with quote

For your 701, the Great Plains VW should be a great engine. Not too
heavy and well matched. On reliability, there's enough history on most
of the conversions
to get it right if you take the time to research the older issues
associated with that particular engine. Most conversions today can be
just as reliable as the "factory"
aircraft engines. Consider the voluminous "ADs" by Rotax compared to
the problems reported for VW or Subaru etc. I'd rather work with a
conversion and deal
realistically with the "if and when" than the expense and worry over the
demands of staying current a Rotax. There are a lot of conversions
flying with very little effort
greater economy and excellent reliability now days.

Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com
pdknight wrote:
Quote:

I am sure this has been brought up before, but the search function fails me...
At the moment, I am planning on using a Great Plains VW kit with a Culver Props FWF(mount, PSRU, prop, etc.). I have spoken to several folks, one at Can-Zac aviation and a few buddies who build RVs, and the concensus I get from them is that the auto conversions never seem to fit the bill quite like a factory built engine. Propaganda or legitimate concern? The philosophy seems to be that with the VW a failure isn't an "if" question but a "when" question. The VW with the Culver stuff seems to be a good combination, but are all of the concerns I keep hearing warranted? For you guys who fly behind an auto conversion, do they give the advertised STOL capability with the reliability of, say, a Rotax? thanks.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

John75142

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: VW Conversion Reply with quote

Have not got the point of purchase yet but that is the route I plan on
going. The GP 2276 with 1.6/1 reduction 105 HP air-cooled.

I'm just saving up for the expense and not yet there or I would already have
one hanging off the firewall.

John (Scratch building 701)
Kaufman, Tx
---

kmccune

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Conversion Reply with quote

From what I've read, no personal experience. The problem is that the VW to get that hp for take off, has to turn quite a lot of RPM, also for fast cruise. This makes a lot of heat and the cowl/ baffling needs to be very good to take away that heat. The 701 is a slow draggy machine. It requires a lot of (relatively) power to go 80mph for example. So it is creating a lot of heat and is not getting as much air flowing past it as a cleaner airframe would for the same power setting.

I do think think they will work, but you need to be careful of the throttle setting. Kinda like a 912's 5 min full power limit right Wink

But for toodleing around and just having fun in the flat lands, I think its fine. Just check the jugs every once in awhile.

Kevin

"Real freedom is the sustained act of being an individual." WW - 2009

"Life is a good deal...it's worth it" Feb 1969
Dorothy McCune
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: