Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elevator Authority with loss of power on Landing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flicka401(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Elevator Authority with loss of power on Landing Reply with quote

CH-701 builders,
Given the assertion that power is required to flare on landing, what is the prescription for landing without power, say a loss of engine in an actual emergency??

Looking at the NTSB for ch-701 the hard nose landing with a conventional idle power setting is all to common. Nobody has yet died, but most likely only because of the low speed.
Simple things like glide-speed with no power, are real hard to find, and vertical drop in that configuration clean&dirty zenair remains silent on these issues. I know there is a guy in New Zealand that has wrote a little, but their seems to be no US engineering detail on this critical issue. I love the STOL char with power on the CH-701, but the NO-POWER config is very troublesome. 
I guess you can land in a tree as some of done with power loss, or go nose over when you can't flare, but I find these two options a terrible waste of 1-3 years of kit building.
I would really like a confirm from the experts on how to maintain 'elevator authority' with NO POWER.
Not to pick on ZEN, Van's is no better with their collapsing nose gear on soft field landings.
I would really like to see more information on this subject.

Paddy O'Malley
flicka401(at)gmail.com (flicka401(at)gmail.com)

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
NYTerminat(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Elevator Authority with loss of power on Landing Reply with quote

Paddy,
I have done engine out landings in my 701. No surprises, keep up some extra airspeed about 60-65 MPH and don't flare high as the airspeed and lift bleed off fast. It is much like a helicopter approach in an autorotation flare at the last minute or should I say seconds. I like to describe it as when your sphincter really puckers it is time to pull back on the stick. When I drop in a short field over a high obstacle I will occasionally make this power off approach.

My best glide with the engine off at about 54 MPH, try it ,as it is a non event. I am not sure how many FPM I am dropping but wind direction sure does make a difference.

I do like the conversations about the VG's on the elevator and will order them and try them out. But I will again say there is no problem in the original design as is.

Bob Spudis

In a message dated 7/27/2008 1:21:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, flicka401(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:
CH-701 builders,

Given the assertion that power is required to flare on landing, what is the prescription for landing without power, say a loss of engine in an actual emergency??

Looking at the NTSB for ch-701 the hard nose landing with a conventional idle power setting is all to common. Nobody has yet died, but most likely only because of the low speed.

Simple things like glide-speed with no power, are real hard to find, and vertical drop in that configuration clean&dirty zenair remains silent on these issues. I know there is a guy in New Zealand that has wrote a little, but their seems to be no US engineering detail on this critical issue. I love the STOL char with power on the CH-701, but the NO-POWER config is very troublesome.

I guess you can land in a tree as some of done with power loss, or go nose over when you can't flare, but I find these two options a terrible waste of 1-3 years of kit building.

I would really like a confirm from the experts on how to maintain 'elevator authority' with NO POWER.

Not to pick on ZEN, Van's is no better with their collapsing nose gear on soft field landings.

I would really like to see more information on this subject.

Paddy O'Malley
flicka401(at)gmail.com (flicka401(at)gmail.com)

Quote:

Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy Football today.
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rbjjr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevator Authority with loss of power on Landing Reply with quote

All:

There are a couple of videos on YouTube that demonstrate engine out approaches and landings in the 701. These show it is possible and while they seem to come down fast they land fine.

Search for CH701 and you will find them

Burke Johnson
CH701

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: