Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RES: Re: 10% ethanol & 912

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
espuny(at)terra.com.br

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: RES: Re: 10% ethanol & 912 Reply with quote

Hi.

Here, in Brazil, we've been adding ethanol to our automotive gas for decades, and I must say that, in the beggining, there were a lot of troubles like corrosion (remember that ethanol is hidrated) and malfunctions that have been corrected with the development of new techs. Today's cars run very fine and trusty with our almost 25% ethanol fuel, or any mix of gas/ethanol (the local FLEX technology adopted by Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda, Peugeot, Volkswagen, Renault, Fiat and others). ThereĀ“s no auto gas for sale without ethanol here, so we have to run our aero engines on AVGAS.
Many pilots risk themselves filling the tanks with local hi-octane auto gas, and some of them say that the ethanol added means no problems and outputs higer power.
In fact, what we can see is a lot of ultralight crashes due to engine failure, and many of those linked to auto gas use.
We must remember that today's injection system and engines that can run either on pure gas or 100% ethanol were specifically developed for it.
Although ethanol delivers more power, the compression rate of cylinders must be higher, the materials employed must be corrosion-free and there are other specs to observe, as we learned. I witnessed all this decades' process and know how many problems one will experience just adding ethanol without any modifications.
So, if an engine's factory says it's for AVGAS , for me this means NO ethanol.
And, think : we can trust the petrol company and the field deliverers, but what about the gas stations that have both tanks of gas and ethanol, side by side, one product more valuable than other, and that can be mixed together without any visual effect?
Here we have many planes flying on 100% ethanol, but their engines have been changed to. And face to the oil prices and the stablishment of a global vegetal source fuel industry, I think that what happened to auto engines will do to aero ones, and soon all factories will be delivering engines that can run on both fuels, and any percent of each one, like my brand new GM pickup!
But we have to wait.
No experiences with my plane and my life.
Still on AVGAS untill new techs come from Rotax and others.

Francisco Espuny

do not archive

-----Mensagem original-----
De: owner-zenith701801-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith701801-list-server(at)matronics.com] Em nome de Zed Smith
Enviada em: quarta-feira, 16 de julho de 2008 08:53
Para: zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com
Assunto: Re: 10% ethanol & 912

do not archive

Joe and List,

Good question.
My local fuel distributor tells me that it is his understanding that the percentage runs as high as 20 to 25 in some parts of the world.
Maybe some member of the List outside North America can offer comment.

Regards,
Zed

Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo E-mail Protegido Terra.
Atualizado em 16/07/2008

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: