Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not blowing out the caps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MPPalmer(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Not blowing out the caps Reply with quote

Hi Bruce:

I've never seen what a fuel leak at caps looks like on a Glasair. But, once, when I was being checked out in an A36, someone (a lineman?) had not secured one fuel cap. It was evident that fuel was being sucked out of the tank then.

I've also seen fuel blow out our wing tip vents when climbing out with the ball slightly out of center with really full tanks. There are no stains around our caps and I would think I would notice 5 to 7 gallons getting out. In the case of the wing tips venting, when they do that, they don't leave any tell tail signs. So if the belly panel vents were blowing, I don't know I would see anything there either. And I remembered that, on the GII, they're located behind the belly panel split, so minimize infusion into the cockpit.

On the possible thief: I'll keep that open as a possibility, but if someone pried their way into the hangar, I would think they would have taken more than a few gallons. Perhaps some tools too. I've got video set up in the hangar and nothing seen so far.

One reader suggested our mechanical fuel pump might be leaking into the crankcase. At first, I thought he was on to something... I've noticed oil consumption slightly increasing and some hunting with the prop governor. But then I remembered that our totalizer transducer is mounted in the cockpit, where it sees all the fuel going to the engine. So if the fuel pump were leaking, I should be seeing the increased fuel flow and total on the totalizer. Still, I will check the pump for leaks.

I was going to go to the hangar tonight to blow out the vents, but am putting it off a day.

Thinking back, the only other "change" I can think of is that I changed out the FRAM HP fuel filter a few months ago for the annual. That, too, is in the cockpit. If it were leaking fuel, I would know it because it's on my side, above my leg.

I've also noticed that the electric fuel pump takes longer to pressurize the fuel line on the first flight of the day. Not sure yet if that's a clue trying to tell me something.

Mike Palmer <><

Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for fuel-efficient used cars.
(http://autos.aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007) [quote][b]

- The Matronics Glasair-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Glasair-List
douglas.dodson(at)pobox.c

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Not blowing out the caps Reply with quote

The electric fuel pump should have an overflow vent. If the diaphragm is leaking, fuel will pump overboard, probably only when the pump is running.

- Doug

--

- The Matronics Glasair-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Glasair-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: