Fuel Systems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
b.carl@sympatico.ca

Joined: 20 May 2008

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Fuel Systems Reply with quote

Since 1995 I fly a plan built 701 with a R912 and kit built Z 950 amphib
floats. I have 490 hrs on wheel, skis, and floats. For my needs the 701 has
been a great aircraft, given me much pleasure, both while building and
flying. I made a number of modifications while building and over the years
added others, some cosmetic, others I consider essential for my particular
use and safety. A number of these were to the fuel system which has been the
subject of discussion on this list recently.

Originally I had the large collector/nose tank and two optional 22 litre
wing tanks feeding parallel lines in the engine compartment.The main line
fed through the engine pump, the emergency through an electric boost pump.
They had filters and met at a cross at the top rear of the engine to feed
the carbs. This was a popular and common configuration in the mid 90s.
Except for minor feed issues from the wing tanks this system worked well.
However, even with the battery at the extreme rear, the CofG was too far
forward making power-off landings challenging and with the addition of
floats dangerous. In addition I was not trilled with sharing the cockpit
with 30+ litres of fuel.Hence one of my first major mod was getting rid of
the nose tank and moving the battery forward to the firewall. To feed all
the wing fuel safely I added a collector to the back of the baggage
compartment.
The shape of the collector is important. First the tank only holds 8.5
litres and is high and narrow so when it starts to empty the two fuel level
warning switches at the top activate promptly to announce 30 minutes fuel
left. To enhance this feature the warning switches are located in a ridge
across the top. The bottom of the tank is conically shaped to form a
sump/gascolator connected to a drain on the bottom of the fuselage. The fuel
feed with a finger screen attached is 2"off the bottom to minimize picking
up debris/water. It uncover with about 1/2 litre remaining in the collector.
The front of the tank has the wing feed connection and a sight gage with a
black cork float to monitor the depletion of the last 8 litres available.
Finally the top ridge has one of the warning switches (the other is on the
right top side) and the connection for the vent which connects to the top of
the right wing tank. (I've attached a couple of photos of the tank and its
location).
Management is simple. Fuelling is done over the wing; I usually only use the
right tank. Additional ground checks are to start with the wing tanks OFF
and check the low fuel warning light operation. It comes ON in about 3-4
minutes after start. I then turn one wing tank ON and confirm it is feeding
(low fuel warning goes out) and visually check the collector is full before
T.O. In smooth flight the low level warning activates pretty sharply when a
wing tank empties. In rough air it will start to flash 20 or so minutes
before it comes ON steady. In a steep descent while feeding a low wing tank
it will come ON within 30 seconds indicating an interrupted feed.
This system has worked well for me and friends that have copied it. I am
confident flying down to a couple of litres (1/2Gal) if need be without
danger of interrupting the feed.
I'll tell you about a more recent mod to my fuel system due to the
increasing amount of Ethanol in our mogas here in the "land of the
freeze".I'll save that for my next post. Also att pic of my a/c 2006.
Smooth landings.
Carl

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

0608-2.jpg
 Filesize:  147.17 KB
 Viewed:  790 Time(s)

0608-2.jpg

0608-5.jpg
 Filesize:  149.82 KB
 Viewed:  731 Time(s)

0608-5.jpg

0608-4.jpg
 Filesize:  150.66 KB
 Viewed:  745 Time(s)

0608-4.jpg

Jun08.jpg
 Filesize:  232.3 KB
 Viewed:  723 Time(s)

Jun08.jpg

kmccune

Joined: 22 Sep 2007
Location: Wisconsin, USA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Systems Reply with quote

Thank you for the info and pics. This is similar to what I was thinking of. My version came from the Brazilian STOL site, but the added volume of your "fuselage ?" tank with warnings and quasi gasolator is a better idea. A little known safety margin and added range, depending on size of tank, I was thinking 3 gallons and about 1/3 gallon left in sump when port to pump is uncovered.

Let me know but I think picture that I'm attaching is pretty close to what you have.

Kevin

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

Fuel System.jpg
 Filesize:  19.02 KB
 Viewed:  742 Time(s)

Fuel System.jpg

_________________
“Always do what you are afraid to do.”
R.W. Emerson (1803-1882)

"Real freedom is the sustained act of being an individual." WW - 2009

"Life is a good deal...it's worth it" Feb 1969
Dorothy McCune
b.carl@sympatico.ca

Joined: 20 May 2008

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Fuel Systems Reply with quote

Kevin,
Three gallons should be fine.
I make your wing fuel 160 litters, or about 10 hrs in cruise for the R912; I
presume you are using a bigger engine?
Carl
---

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
kmccune

Joined: 22 Sep 2007
Location: Wisconsin, USA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Systems Reply with quote

No, sorry the drawing is from the Brazilian list and I guess that they had dual wing tanks sown as one! No, I was just asking if this basic layout is what you were describing? The drawing shows way too much fuel, unless your thinking about flying around the globe by yourself.
The 3 gallons was a safe weight wise, amount to increase the range a little and to give better low fuel warnings with the tank.

Kevin

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

_________________
“Always do what you are afraid to do.”
R.W. Emerson (1803-1882)

"Real freedom is the sustained act of being an individual." WW - 2009

"Life is a good deal...it's worth it" Feb 1969
Dorothy McCune
b.carl@sympatico.ca

Joined: 20 May 2008

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Fuel Systems Reply with quote

Kevin
It was a lot of fuel for a 701, an ocean crossing did come to mind.
Everything looks fine and very close to my set-up. Transport Canada
recommends 3/8" fuel lines as minimum, they claim 1/4" is too easy to block
especially in winter.
do not archive
Carl
---

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
jetboy

Joined: 22 Jul 2006

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Systems Reply with quote

Carl,
A few weeks ago I looked at adding tall cylinder style header tanks to the baggage area on each side, where my fuel lines currently run down to my fuel selector located on the seat backrest between the seats.

Possibility for safety and ease of construction was to use irrigation tubing 5" dia. and with the top end plate and bottom end plate set at a suitable angle 15 - 30 degs. with an intake pipe and outlet pipe welded in at the apex of each end. This to take care of the need to have as little air pocket / water trap as possible and not require separate vents.

with height restricted to around 10" and this type of tubing I would get around 4.5 litres each side, this should alleviate the occasional unported low fuel wing tank situation I have experienced when doing steep descents or uncoordinated turns. It does get your attention!

I haven't gone ahead with this mod yet, is there a perceived problem with not providing separate venting, as my plan was to avoid the fuel lines changing direction, should be going down all the way from tanks to the gascolator aft and below the seat level thence upwards towards the carb? This is how I was told a fuel system should be, no siphon / airlock traps.

Regards, Ralph

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

_________________
Ralph - CH701 / 2200a
dougsnash

Joined: 14 Apr 2008

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Fuel Systems Reply with quote

Kevin, is this fuel system design from the guy who ran
afoul with Transport Canada a few years ago while
trying to fly around the world in a 701 rip off?

Seems to me that he couldn't get approval to take off
from Newfoundland with full fuel or some such thing.
Took off anyway, had to return for weather or a minor
mechanical issue (can't rememberexactly) and then
crashed on landing because he was so overweight due to
all of the fuel. Seems to me that he got hit with ten
plus thousand dollars in fines.

Sad end to an interesting sounding adventure.

Doug MacDonald
NW Ontario
--- kmccune <kmccune(at)somtel.net> wrote:

Quote:

<kmccune(at)somtel.net>

No, sorry the drawing is from the Brazilian list and
I guess that they had dual wing tanks sown as one!
No, I was just asking if this basic layout is what
you were describing? The drawing shows way too much
fuel, unless your thinking about flying around the
globe by yourself.
The 3 gallons was a safe weight wise, amount to
increase the range a little and to give better low
fuel warnings with the tank.

Kevin

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
kmccune

Joined: 22 Sep 2007
Location: Wisconsin, USA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Systems Reply with quote

My next problem is figuring out the fuel return from the pump. As long as the
small collector tank is vented back to the wing tanks, I think I can return to the collector tank. The 3/8" lines do make more sense and they would flow more readily too.

Actually back to reality now, my next problem is getting more material, And reinforcing my brake! I need to get something to hang all this fuel stuff in first!

Thanks again

Kevin

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

_________________
“Always do what you are afraid to do.”
R.W. Emerson (1803-1882)

"Real freedom is the sustained act of being an individual." WW - 2009

"Life is a good deal...it's worth it" Feb 1969
Dorothy McCune
b.carl@sympatico.ca

Joined: 20 May 2008

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Fuel Systems Reply with quote

Ralf
Your design is interesting. I have a couple of questions.
1. If air is sucked into your columns how will it escape and let feed
resume? I see only two ways, to the engine or fight its way back through the
fuel stream from the tanks. Either may cause fuel starvation.
2. If air gets trapped in your columns/lines (air lock) how will you
detect the problem in time to prevent fuel starvation?

I strongly recommend collector tanks be vented to prevent airlocks and aid
feeding, and fitted with reliable sensor(s) to alert the pilot when he is
running low on fuel or feed is interrupted.
A final comment. I am not sure what irrigation pipe is made of. I made my
collector out of .063 alum. so it could take knocks in case of an accident.
Maybe overkill, .040 probably would suffice and save weight.
Hope this helps
[...]

--------
Ralph - CH701 / 2200a

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
n85ae

Joined: 14 Mar 2007

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Systems Reply with quote

Go to www.summitracing.com and look at fuel cells, they have a bunch
that would be suitable for use as header tanks at reasonable prices. They
range from 2 quarts to 30+ gallons. They have fittings, and mounting tabs
all ready to go.

Header tanks typically vent to one of the fuel tanks.

Fuel injection return lines to the header require a check valve so don't
forget that item.

As follows:

[fuel tank]---->[header]---(fuel shutoff)----->Engine driven pump feed
[fuel tank]---->[header]---<check valve<----<Engine driven pump return
[tank ret.]<-----[header vent]

Good idea to put strainers in the tank lines to the header, and shutoff
valves from each tank.
Jeff

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
kmccune

Joined: 22 Sep 2007
Location: Wisconsin, USA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Systems Reply with quote

I don't know if it is or not, but 40 gallons is the approximate fuel capacity with the optional 2nd wing tanks so I assumed the guy for simplicity just drew one tank knowing the the pairs had to be plumbed together. That was the reason for my comment about flying around the globe by yourself. By the time you put a couple clean pairs of underwear and a cooler of evening refreshments in the back, your about over weight.
But for myself, from time to time I would like to be able to slightly extend the range safely. I like the idea of knowing that when you hit empty you have a little more, but just don't depend on it. It also like said will help the potential fuel starvation problem and it seems to me that it would help the wing tanks empty more evenly?

Kevin
dougsnash wrote:
Kevin, is this fuel system design from the guy who ran
afoul with Transport Canada a few years ago while
trying to fly around the world in a 701 rip off?

Seems to me that he couldn't get approval to take off
from Newfoundland with full fuel or some such thing.
Took off anyway, had to return for weather or a minor
mechanical issue (can't rememberexactly) and then
crashed on landing because he was so overweight due to
all of the fuel. Seems to me that he got hit with ten
plus thousand dollars in fines.

Sad end to an interesting sounding adventure.

Doug MacDonald
NW Ontario
--- kmccune <kmccune> wrote:

Quote:

<kmccune>

No, sorry the drawing is from the Brazilian list and
I guess that they had dual wing tanks sown as one!
No, I was just asking if this basic layout is what
you were describing? The drawing shows way too much
fuel, unless your thinking about flying around the
globe by yourself.
The 3 gallons was a safe weight wise, amount to
increase the range a little and to give better low
fuel warnings with the tank.

Kevin

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

_________________
“Always do what you are afraid to do.”
R.W. Emerson (1803-1882)

"Real freedom is the sustained act of being an individual." WW - 2009

"Life is a good deal...it's worth it" Feb 1969
Dorothy McCune
ch701builder

Joined: 07 Feb 2006
Location: N38.9947,W105.1305,ALT. 9,100'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Fuel Systems Reply with quote

There is a guy flying here in Colorado, that has both the 10-gallon tanks and the header tank (I think the original 9-gallon?). The header gets filled from both wing-tanks. I have thought about this idea, but use a smaller (2-3 gallon) header tank. (more room for electronics)

I'm not understanding his fuel level warning, is it just a probe that detects if it is emersed in fuel or not?

The extra 120+ lbs does cut down on your payload, but if I were to fly using the extended fuel (extra wing tanks) , I would be by myself also. I would rather have the tanks and not use them instead of needing them and not having them.

My 2 cents (0.00518 gallons worth)
Keith

--> Zenith701801-List message posted by: "kmccune" <kmccune(at)somtel.net> (kmccune(at)somtel.net)

--- kmccune wrote:
Quote:

No, sorry the drawing is from the Brazilian list and
I guess that they had dual wing tanks sown as one!
No, I was just asking if this basic layout is what
you were describing? The drawing shows way too much
fuel, unless your thinking about flying around the
globe by yourself.
The 3 gallons was a safe weight wise, amount to
increase the range a little and to give better low
fuel warnings with the tank.

Kevin

--------
Mark Twain: Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

ics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
ronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
ics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--
************************************* BestFit Clean Clean false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]--> <![endif]--> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } <![endif]--> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} <![endif]-->
*************************************

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be proprietary and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of ITT Corporation. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. ITT accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
jetboy

Joined: 22 Jul 2006

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Systems Reply with quote

Carl,

Irrigation pipe is 1/16" wall for the thinnest grade.

If air goes down to the columns it should also bubble back up into the wing tanks where it came when further fuel sloshes down. This is no different to when you drain the gascolator (another cylinder type tank) and later replenish the fuel tanks above. I dont see any gascolators, Zenair type or GA type, that have a vent line running up above the tanks. The columns are effectively an inline expansion of the diameter of a piece of vertically run fuel line. In fact my original idea was to construct a much taller Zenair gascolator that runs from a level in the baggage shelf below the fuel line entry, all the way to the fuselage floor.
If air is in the columns there is no fuel above so they will run till exhaustion but the fuel supply will be continuous for that time rather than the on/off sloshing of 5 litres in the tank trying to find the one outlet in the rear inboard corner.

Open to reasoning if this is not a viable method, adding vent lines for me would add more fuel lines in the cabin and require opening up the wings and tanks, If I were to do that I'd rather add the extra pair of longrange tanks instead. Further, if my aircraft was constructed to plans there would be no fuel selector ahead of the dual inlet gascolator/tee and therefore the ability to unport a tank and get starvation would not be a feature. I like using the Andair left/right/both/off selector because it lets me park on uneven ground and manage the balance.

Ralph

[quote="b.carl(at)sympatico.ca"]Ralf
[...]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Systems Reply with quote

My reason for not wanting the extra wing tanks is the extra wiring, plumbing, panel space and weight, even empty they weigh something. With the G13 or BMW engine the flying hours are quite a few more per tank due to lower fuel burn. How much more, time will tell and so will I when I find out. But until then its all BS
(baloney sausage, of course Wink )

Kevin

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

_________________
“Always do what you are afraid to do.”
R.W. Emerson (1803-1882)

"Real freedom is the sustained act of being an individual." WW - 2009

"Life is a good deal...it's worth it" Feb 1969
Dorothy McCune
kmccune

Joined: 22 Sep 2007
Location: Wisconsin, USA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Systems Reply with quote

This is a pic of a highlander sub-tank. It has two inputs from the wing tanks on top and one on the bottom. There is no vent to the wing tanks. But it is a carburated engine so the pump is not returning fuel to the tank all the time.

Kevin

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

100_0811.jpg
 Filesize:  14.34 KB
 Viewed:  655 Time(s)

100_0811.jpg

_________________
“Always do what you are afraid to do.”
R.W. Emerson (1803-1882)

"Real freedom is the sustained act of being an individual." WW - 2009

"Life is a good deal...it's worth it" Feb 1969
Dorothy McCune
b.carl@sympatico.ca

Joined: 20 May 2008

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Fuel Systems Reply with quote

Ralf
Try it without. Make sure your feeds are down hill all the way and you may
want to use bigger than 1/4" lines to aid air moving up through the fuel. If
you have feed issues you don't have to vent to a tank you can vent to
atmosphere.
Do not archive
Carl
---

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
n85ae

Joined: 14 Mar 2007

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Systems Reply with quote

In general you should vent the header to a tank, if you don't and you
get a pressure differential across the vents between the tank and the
header, you can end up feeding fuel out the lower pressure vent.
This is not very likely, but it is possible. Also if you don't vent the
header you can develop an enormous bubble in the header which
simply will not go away so you definitely should vent the header.

Jeff

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours