VHF Transmitting Noise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Avionics-List
bgarlick(at)ford.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: VHF Transmitting Noise Reply with quote

Hi
I'd appreciate some comments or advice from avionics installers who half-understand what they're doing? (My limits are that I need to follow manufacturers' installation instructions and wiring diagrams to the letter; and if something doesn't quite work I'm at a complete loss!...Although if any advice was something like connecting a xxx ohm resistor in parallel in a particular circuit, I could manage to cope with that).
I have just installed an ICOM IC-A200 transceiver coupled with a PS Engineering PM501 Intercom in a newly built Vans RV7, and when I press the PTT switch I get a lot of noise feeding-back into the earphones as I'm talking… The Air Traffic Controllers say they're reading me "fives", and the noise doesn't occur when Receiving or when using the voice-activated intercom. The noise isn't in time with the engine, but is constant whilst transmitting and sounds like wind blowing across the microphone.
Any ideas about what could be wrong?
Thanks
BillG [quote][b]

- The Matronics Avionics-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Avionics-List
Back to top
Float Flyr

Joined: 19 Jul 2006
Location: Campbellton, Newfoundland

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: VHF Transmitting Noise Reply with quote

What you have described sounds a lot like alternator whine coming into your audio panel. If it is, you should be able to remove it by installing a choke in the power line to your PN501. A choke is simply a coil and a capacitor, in parallel, tuned to remove alternator frequency sound. It is wired in series in the B+ line of your audio panel and it stops the noise which is coming in on that wire. Where to get the choke depends on the registration of your plane GA will have to get it from an avionics shop, others, from an electronics or amateur radio outlet. A lot of AB owners can get a lot of free help from local amateur radio ops. They really know what they are doing form a practical point.

Also check the wires between your transceiver and audio panel have the shield grounded only at one end.

The last piece of advice is the one that is a pain... When you get your system working draw up a little block interconnect diagram of exactly what you have there so if you have future problems you will have an idea where to look. You can start on that interconnect diagram ASAP even before installing a choke. Better avionics shops won’t put a finger on an installation until they have finished their interconnect diagram. Doing that makes for less mistakes in installation and much less problems. Things to include in the interconnect diagram are wire connecters and fuse locations.

Hope this helps

Noel

[...]
0
Quote:
1
Quote:
2
Quote:
3
Quote:
4
Quote:
5
Quote:
6
Quote:
7
Quote:
8
Quote:
9
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Avionics-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Avionics-List

_________________
Noel Loveys
Kitfox III-A
Aerocet 1100 Floats
donmorrisey

Joined: 17 Mar 2007

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: VHF Transmitting Noise Reply with quote

Hi Bill, you may want to look into this product: http://miracleantenna.com/smoothie.htm

I have no personal experience with it, but it was mentioned on the yahoo jabiru engine list in regard to engine noise. It does have the capacitor Noel mentions.

If you do use it I would be curious to know your results.

Don...

www.donsbushcaddy.com
Don Morrisey's Skunkworks

Quote:
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:40:04 +0000
From: bgarlick(at)ford.com
To: avionics-list(at)matronics.com

[...]

target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Avionics-List
p://forums.matronics.com
blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Get the power of Windows + Web with the new Windows Live. Get it now! [quote][b]

- The Matronics Avionics-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Avionics-List

_________________
Don...
BushCaddy R120
http://www.donsbushcaddy.com
bgarlick(at)ford.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: VHF Transmitting Noise Reply with quote

Thanks Don, I was able access the website (after inserting www) and immediately spotted the choke that Noel suggested sitting in the middle of the circuit board picture. I might give it a try and will let you know how it works…it's worth the relatively high cost if it gets rid of that damn noise! (…I've found out already I can get a Toroid choke from a local electronics store for GBP2.26 = USD4.63)
BillG – RV7

Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:40:04 +0000
From: bgarlick(at)ford.com
To: avionics-list(at)matronics.com
[...]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: VHF Transmitting Noise Reply with quote

I went to check the site but got a 404 error then I tried to get to the root directory and got a password block.

The unit, a choke, is a coil with a capacitor usually in the centre of the coil. It is wired in series with the power line. A capacitor can be used to filter a different kind of noise if it is just connected between the power line and the ground.... Capacitors don’t conduct DC current. A capacitor set up the second way is generally used to smooth out DC voltage in power supplies.

Noel

Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:40:04 +0000
From: bgarlick(at)ford.com
To: avionics-list(at)matronics.com
[...]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: VHF Transmitting Noise Reply with quote

Thanks for the key to get into the site. That unit appears to be an excellent choice. It will choke out a number of different frequencies, I’m sure, and it will help with voltage fluctuations.

A good choice It looks heavy enough to install across the feed to your avionics buss if your plane is wired that way.

Noel

Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:40:04 +0000
From: bgarlick(at)ford.com
To: avionics-list(at)matronics.com
[...]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: VHF Transmitting Noise Reply with quote

Hi Noel, I had the link wrong.

Here is the correct link: http://www.miracleantenna.com/smoothie/htm

Don

www.donsbushcaddy.com
Don Morrisey's Skunkworks

Quote:
From: noelloveys(at)yahoo.ca
To: avionics-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 17:56:35 -0330

.ExternalClass .EC_shape {;} .ExternalClass EC_p.MsoNormal, .ExternalClass EC_li.MsoNormal, .ExternalClass EC_div.MsoNormal {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman','serif';} .ExternalClass a:link, .ExternalClass EC_span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass a:visited, .ExternalClass EC_span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass p {margin-right:0in;margin-left:0in;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman','serif';} .ExternalClass pre {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:'Courier New';} .ExternalClass EC_span.HTMLPreformattedChar {font-family:Consolas;} .ExternalClass EC_span.EmailStyle20 {font-family:'Times New Roman','serif';color:windowtext;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;} .ExternalClass .EC_MsoChpDefault {font-size:10.0pt;} (at)page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in;} .ExternalClass EC_div.Section1 {page:Section1;}
I went to check the site but got a 404 error then I tried to get to the root directory and got a password block.

The unit, a choke, is a coil with a capacitor usually in the centre of the coil. It is wired in series with the power line. A capacitor can be used to filter a different kind of noise if it is just connected between the power line and the ground.... Capacitors don’t conduct DC current. A capacitor set up the second way is generally used to smooth out DC voltage in power supplies.

Noel

Share life as it happens with the new Windows Live. Start sharing! [quote][b]

- The Matronics Avionics-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Avionics-List

_________________
Don...
BushCaddy R120
http://www.donsbushcaddy.com
jetboy

Joined: 22 Jul 2006

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: VHF Transmitting Noise Reply with quote

Bill,
Another thing to check is that the sidetone produced by the IC 200 is not adding to any sidetone provided by the PS intercom.

There might be instructions about this on the PS engineering site.

The IC 200 can be withdrawn from its tray, on the top cover there will be an adjustment hole marked "S-tone" which you can reset all the way back or fwd as the case may be, to prevent the radio putting a sample of your voice into the earphones during transmission. I expect the intercom already does this for you, so you dont require it twice.

Ralph

- The Matronics Avionics-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Avionics-List

_________________
Ralph - CH701 / 2200a
bgarlick(at)ford.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: VHF Transmitting Noise Reply with quote

Ralph,
Thanks for your suggestion, I'll certainly try that...it's worth
investigating as the noise seems to be in time with my transmissions
rather than a regular mechanical interference. I remember seeing the
S-tone adjustment hole during installation but I didn't pay too much
attention to it at the time. (My biggest concern then was would the
radio and intercom actually work after my wiring efforts)

Regards
Bill

--

- The Matronics Avionics-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Avionics-List
Back to top
Lennart

Joined: 06 Jun 2008
Location: Tullinge, Sweden

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: VHF Transmitting Noise Reply with quote

Hi BillG,
is the noise gone? I have the same issue and the same radio and is curious about the result.

Rgds
Lennart
RV-7A

- The Matronics Avionics-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Avionics-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Avionics-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours