Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Issues you encountered during initial flights of your 701

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmccune

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Issues you encountered during initial flights of your 701 Reply with quote

I've been thinking a lot about the eventual flight testing of my 701. I know, its still a long way off. But how did all of you do the testing and what issue did you find?
Thanks
Kevin

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

"Real freedom is the sustained act of being an individual." WW - 2009

"Life is a good deal...it's worth it" Feb 1969
Dorothy McCune
sonar1@cox.net

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Issues you encountered during initial flights of your 70 Reply with quote

Only thing I noticed 3 years ago was that on the first flight, when I pushed the stick over for the first turn (to impress the onlookers with my crisp turns) I nearly went inverted! The controls are very responsive! Other than that (which takes about ten seconds to get used to) it flew as planned. Stalls are just more mushing, no bad characteristics at all. It is a wonderful plane. I love it! .Fred Sanford..........N9701.....Santa Barbara, Ca................
do not archive

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

cscsail(at)gmavt.net

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Issues you encountered during initial flights of your 701 Reply with quote

Kevin,
I was surprised by how easy the plane is to fly, it's extremely
forgiving and responsive and I have to watch myself so that I don't get over
confident with it. I had initially planned a high speed taxi to see if
anything odd would happen. With about 4000 rpm and what seemed like 100'
(probably much longer) I realized I was no longer rolling but flying and
just kept going. I've only got about 8 hrs on it, but I'm very pleased with
the performance and the way the plane flied in every respect.
Gordon.
---

ronlee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues you encountered during initial flights of your 70 Reply with quote

If I could add any advice I would say to carry some power on landing for a while. You can slowly back of the power on landing until you get used to the plane. With no power it comes down at a very sharp angle and the flare window is SHORT, do not flare high! I always land my 701, power off and flaps. It does take some practice though. Don't forget you don't  have a lot of inertia with such a low weight plane. When you flare it slows down very quickly and quits flying! I equate it with pulling back the power on a boat that is on plane, it doesn't plane long after pulling power, just like a 701. I don't want to start any thing here, but removing the slats and installing vortex generators help alot. I would never go back to the slats.
I flew with slats for 50 hours, I now have 110 on my plane.
Ron Lee
Tucson, AZ

dgraham7(at)twcny.rr.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Issues you encountered during initial flights of your 701 Reply with quote

Do you feel that your 701 still has good STOL capability without the slats ?
Thanks,
Damien
---

kmccune

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues you encountered during initial flights of your 70 Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments, I have cut and pasted them to word docs for later reference. Its encouraging that no one had major issues! Like I said I was thinking about it, guess I let my mind wonder too much!

Kevin

"Real freedom is the sustained act of being an individual." WW - 2009

"Life is a good deal...it's worth it" Feb 1969
Dorothy McCune
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: