Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Form Blocks and Flanging Dies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SafeAirOne

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Form Blocks and Flanging Dies Reply with quote

As I prepare to embark on a plans-built 701, I can't help but think that I'll spend a considerable amount of time laying out and building non-flying items such as forming blocks and flanging dies.

It also occurs to me that I will be duplicating the efforts of dozens (maybe hundreds) of other plans-builders who built their own blocks and dies and, after using them once, have them sitting around collecting dust in a corner of the garage.

QUESTION: Is there currently any program where a "community" set of forming blocks is passed along from one builder to another as the need for the particular block/die arises? I figure that if there were, we could all save the time and expense of re-inventing the wheel. The only cost would be the shipping to the next borrower.

I know (and agree) that making the forming blocks and flanging dies is not terribly difficult; In fact, it's kinda fun; However, the more effort and money I put into other stuff, the less I'll have to devote to the actual airframe.

Thoughts, comments...??

Thanks,
--Mark

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
dan(at)hillsgun.com

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Form Blocks and Flanging Dies Reply with quote

Hi Mark: I remember hearing about a set floating around somewhere on the 601
list, but I made a set of my own. I felt that even if I borrowed a set from
someone that I would have to flange a hole in a part that I either messed up
or forgot to do when I had sent the dies on to someone else. I used the idea
from Debo Cox on the 601 list and made my dies out of timbertech deck
material which is the plastic decking made from recycled plastic I think.
They came out great cost me about $20 bucks and probably a day and a half to
build. All my form blocks are done except the 4 used on the fuselage. Dan.

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

kmccune

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Form Blocks and Flanging Dies Reply with quote

Their really are not that many on the 701 as the wing is not tapered. I made my own for future rebuilds/modification. Remember your the MFG and you may need to supply yourself with parts in the future Very Happy

I did hear of some flanging dies some ware though.

Kevin

"Real freedom is the sustained act of being an individual." WW - 2009

"Life is a good deal...it's worth it" Feb 1969
Dorothy McCune
ifly4fun2(at)sbcglobal.ne

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Form Blocks and Flanging Dies Reply with quote

Mark,
I believe Larry Winger has a set of steel dies floating around you may want to ask him he's kind
enough to share. He is at larrywinger(at)gmail.com.

do not archive
Art
701 scratchin
--- SafeAirOne <safeairone(at)verizon.net> wrote:

Quote:

As I prepare to embark on a plans-built 701, I can't help but think that I'll spend a
considerable amount of time laying out and building non-flying items such as forming blocks and
flanging dies.

It also occurs to me that I will be duplicating the efforts of dozens (maybe hundreds) of other
plans-builders who built their own blocks and dies and, after using them once, have them sitting
around collecting dust in a corner of the garage.

QUESTION: Is there currently any program where a "community" set of forming blocks is passed
along from one builder to another as the need for the particular block/die arises? I figure that
if there were, we could all save the time and expense of re-inventing the wheel. The only cost
would be the shipping to the next borrower.

I know (and agree) that making the forming blocks and flanging dies is not terribly difficult;
In fact, it's kinda fun; However, the more effort and money I put into other stuff, the less
I'll have to devote to the actual airframe.

Thoughts, comments...??

Thanks,
--Mark

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=184296#184296

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: