Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel-Flow Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Citabria-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grnordgarden(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Fuel-Flow Problem Reply with quote

The A/C in question is a 1974 Bellanca 7ECA, re-engined with an O-320 so it's effectively a 7GCAA. It belongs to the Offutt AFB Aero Club and has seen very little use, often sitting for weeks at a time until a week ago when I began taking dual in it 2-3 times a week to get my tailwheel endorsement. The fuel system is non-inverted, so no header tank -- two 18-gallon wing tanks with check valves to a single vent on the left, crossflow pipes to the aft fuel manifold under the baggage compartment and crossflow pipes to the forward fuel manifold on the firewall. Caps are non-vented and the gaskets are like new.
This A/C is drawing 3-4 times as much fuel from the left tank as from the right and it's not crossflowing on the ground, even overnight. We've made right patterns as well as lefts -- makes no difference. We haven't done any extended S&L flight, just 11 NM to Plattsmouth, NE for pattern work. The club's A&P has blown out the feed and vent lines and got a good blast into the right tank from both. We're getting a free flow of clean gas out of all four drains.
So what's our next move? Anybody had this problem?
Rick
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Citabria-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Citabria-List
Jon Reining

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel-Flow Problem Reply with quote

I will notice that one take, usually the left but not always, draws down quicker, especially when starting with both tanks full. However, on longer cross country trips, if I stop in the middle for a break, check both tanks, one may be drawn down more, but after the second leg it seems to balance out. If one is drawn down more than the other and I leave it parked overnight, it does not self correct. I have a 7KCAB with inverted fuel, but otherwise I think similar set-up.

Since it hasn't been a huge disparity, I've not investigated it too much. Sorry I can't be of assistance. If you find a culprit, I would be curious what it is.

Jon

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

wturansky(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Fuel-Flow Problem Reply with quote

I have a 7ECA with the same fuel set up. I draw more from the left tank
but only 10-15% over an hour flight. When the plane sits overnight the
tanks equalize. If you figure out what the problem is please post it to
the list as I would like to know.

Walt

grnordgarden wrote:
Quote:

The A/C in question is a 1974 Bellanca 7ECA, re-engined with an O-320
so it's effectively a 7GCAA. It belongs to the Offutt AFB Aero Club
and has seen very little use, often sitting for weeks at a time until
a week ago when I began taking dual in it 2-3 times a week to get my
tailwheel endorsement. The fuel system is non-inverted, so no header
tank -- two 18-gallon wing tanks with check valves to a single vent on
the left, crossflow pipes to the aft fuel manifold under the baggage
compartment and crossflow pipes to the forward fuel manifold on the
firewall. Caps are non-vented and the gaskets are like new.

This A/C is drawing 3-4 times as much fuel from the left tank as from
the right and it's not crossflowing on the ground, even overnight.
We've made right patterns as well as lefts -- makes no difference. We
haven't done any extended S&L flight, just 11 NM to Plattsmouth, NE
for pattern work. The club's A&P has blown out the feed and vent lines
and got a good blast into the right tank from both. We're getting a
free flow of clean gas out of all four drains.

So what's our next move? Anybody had this problem?

Rick

grnordgarden(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Fuel-Flow Problem Reply with quote

Wilco. I think the A&P will have to take that right-tank check-valve out
and have a close look at it...

Rick Nordgarden

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Citabria-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: