Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

701 Wish list

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirkslabbert(at)telkomsa.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: 701 Wish list Reply with quote

LOONG POST : BEWARE !

ZS-SUZ or ZU-SUZ (SER 5228) ENG (912) is now standing here invitingly smiling at me all tangled up in red tape you wont believe!
Took 3 years and 6 months of all my spare time, Saturdays and Sundays, stopped counting at 2000 hrs ...
Had a look around the other day, for friends and girlfriends, for the first time in years I can count the fairer sex on one hand and the good friends on the other.
How they thinned out!

These are things I done, changes I made, some are still on the wishlist, all comments will be much appreciated.

I sincerely hope this may be to the benefit of all 701,801 builders, experimental after all !

CHANGES, MODS:

Wing: 1) Solid rear spar, difficult to build a true wing with pieces rear spar.
2) More ribs, just about impossible to build a smooth airfoil with few ribs, not durable either.
3) Retractable slats, a go faster nice to have.
4) Different flap mechanism, you have no leverage on the std one.
5) Fuel tank access from the top, if you spring a leak you need to take the whole topskin off!
6) Inspection panels, at critical points, rear spar lift strut attchment.
7) Strut fairings, go a little faster or save some fuel.
Cool Non leak fuel caps, fit tight on the tank with a small dia pipe extending out 3" on top, bend 90 deg, facing fwd.
Fuel system:
1) S/steel fuel tanks, a lot easier to weld and repair, weighs very little more.
2) Fuel return, for fuel pump use.
3) 2 x Proper gascolator, the ones you can take apart and clean. Each tank to have its own, lowest point behind the seats.
4) Fuel pump at each tank, Gravity feed is ok, long as you have a possitive head. Have a friend pull your 701's tail down to level with the runway, stand back and see if you still trust that possitive head? In anything but full tanks I would not, half tanks on a gusty day I want a fuel pump, remember this is a STOL, climbs out at a high AOA. Remember we run mogas!
5) Aeroquip fuel fittings, those hose clamps just dont look right, not inside the fuselage at least.
6) Andair 3 way fuel valve, 3 positions: left, right, both, LIFT selector for OFF.
7) Insulated fuel lines fwf, Mogas again, eliminate vapour lock!
Cool Alu fuel line outside cabin, still working on this one.
Fuselage:
1) Wider 4" higher 2" for us long fellows, or get a smaller girlfriend......for shoulder room.
2) Roll cage Cr mo tubing, much easier contruction of the cabin, stronger, difficult to weld a bunch of tubing straight !
3) Adjustable seat, us long fellows again, but nice to adjust during a long flight.
4) Instrument panel 4" higher, staring down my nose as it is, can see only the lower parts of the top instruments, a bigger panel will make fitting glass panels easier.
5) Doors to open in flight, the bubble doors are not an option, they make an airfoil on their own, cannot be opened in flight, a wider fuse will take a flat door.
6) Dual sticks, much has been said on this one, mine works like a charm! makes # 7 possible
7) Centre throttle, fuel valve, mix, falls easy in hand, at a glance you can see where you are.
Cool Stronger hor stab mounts, the ones extending to the fuse mounts, looks a bit thin
9) Anti oil can bracing rear fuse, many of us done this X bracing.
10) 2 door eng cowl centre hinged, nice to loosen 3 fasteners and have half the engine exposed.
11) Needle rollers on boom tube, no binding feel in the roll.
12) Turnbuckles on all cables, not supplied in the kit, a MUST.
13) Telescopic front suspension, not the oil type, for no bungee chord pull on rudder,
14) Under fuse rods for front wheel steering, eliminates that steering boot problem.
15) Hinged instrument panel, for easy access, should you need to do something to the electrics or instruments

Brakes:
1) Solid rims, the split ones leak at the centre o ring.
  2) 6 ply tubeless tyres, better to take a small electic pump and tubeless plugs, than a jack and tube!
  3) Caliper type brakes, the Matco ones push from one side only
  4) S/steel braided brake lines.

Flight reports to follow soon.

Zed, I can see you smiling, hav'nt had any yet, know what? just found a JD single barrel in the lower drawer.......
Hope this helps
Dirk
Piketberg SA

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
zsmith3rd(at)earthlink.ne

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: 701 wish list Reply with quote

do not archive

Dirk,

Impressive list of mods! Just wondered if bomb doors are manual or electric.

Best regards,

Zed

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

txpilot

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: 701 Wish list Reply with quote

Seems like a great list of mods, but I'm just curious: do you know how much the airplane weighs?

Dan Ginty
N787DG

Geoff Heap

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: 701 Wish list Reply with quote

Congratulations Dirk. An impressive list. Repeat question. Have you got a weight yet? My Dual sticks are done and look good. What engine do you have, I forgot. I'm interested in the spit cowl. I have a Rotax 80, with the fiber glass cowl from Zenith. Geoff Heap...still Lost in Lindenwold

do not archive

haven

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: 701 Wish list Reply with quote

where are the pictures? Sounds like some great mods.

ronlee

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 701 Wish list Reply with quote

Lots of mods=lots of extra build time, been there done some so I know. The research and development seems to take me forever on them!What I am interested in are any and all mods you all have done to streamline the 701. I have removed the slats and installed  vortex generators on the wing and HZ stabilizer, streamlined the struts with them faired top and bottom. I haven't done anything with the area where the HZ Stab. meets the fuselage though. Has anyone done anything there and if you have, have you noticed any improvement in speed, handling or any thing else?
110hours on my 701 and loving it,
Ron Lee

stepinwolf

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: 701 Wish list Reply with quote

Dirk,

Like yourself, I am considering using stainless to weld up my fuel tanks, and was wondering what thickness you used, to make yours.

Also, as another member mentioned previously, some photos of the work you accomplished, would be very welcome.
do not archive

Bob the 701 scratch
Three Rivers, Quebec
#7-7143

www.autoretro.info

dirkslabbert(at)telkomsa.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: 701 Wish list Reply with quote

Bob, the plate thickness is mostly detemined by what is available, say the
alu plate is .016 inch, look for a .5 mm plate, or use the same as in the
plans, in inch.
The weight difference is minimal, just a lot easier to weld!
Make the fit tight as possible, start at the bigger end, work left to right,
most times you dont even need filler rod, some around the bends.
Dont try to weld in one go, the metal needs time to cool, otherwise it will
warp.
The wing sits at angle to the fuse, so does the tanks, if you keep the front
tyre inflated, flat bottom tanks are ok.
'Best
Dirk.

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: